PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 7:27AM
    Morning all.
    Karcher, I can endorse your feelings about this thread. I have experienced the almost magical effect of having this disparate group of people, none of whom I would recognise if I fell over them, who united to pick me up when I was at the lowest point of my life. The love, support and concern, not to mention the devastating humour, that surrounded me was unbelievable. I don't think I will ever change my signature, it was chosen as a tribute to all on the fencers thread. It is a very special place.

I started making mincemeat yesterday. I do the Delia recipe for the church mincepies, (6 dozen required by Wednesday for Lunch Club's Christmas Meal) and that is almost ready. The boozy, brandy laden mincemeat for home, friends and neighbours will come later. It does help to make me feel a little more Christmassy.

ETA. Just realised that the last half of my post has been cut off. Not writing it all again so I will just add ..........

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

An apple a day will keep ANYONE away if thrown hard enough.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Karcher Well said - this thread shows that the majority of people are kind, supportive, loving and caring - long may they continue in a world that is going astray x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • The thread is important to me too, it's so friendly and when someone pops back on the thread as Sheila has, it's like an old friend dropping by unexpectedly.
    I've been awake since 4:30 and I have a DGD staying tonight so I won't get much sleep tonight either, Saturday I'm looking after my 3 year old twin DGC's for the afternoon.
    My least favourite job today, I need to fill the water tank up, it takes about 45 minutes as the water pressure is so low, 45 minutes stood on the jetty is no joke, brrr.
    the ducks are quacking for their breakfast so I'll go and feed them and pop back later for another chat.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Islandmaid
    Forumite
    Hester your new lifestyle sounds lovely - nothing that a thermal vest couldn’t cure :D

Well, Youngest has purchased a car, a lovely little fiesta, for his Xmas prezzie we have paid for it to be serviced and for the Cam belt to be changed as it hasn’t been done and for an 04 plate we didn’t want it going ‘Bang’ - blimey that was a tad more expensive than we expected :eek: but at least he will be mechanically safe.

His first maiden voyage this morning, as I made him wait a day to save a months road tax - I am more nervous than him :rotfl:

Off to clear out the woodburner before resetting it - chilly and bright here :)

£300/£130
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh Islandmaid, it's terrifying isn't it, when the baby you were steering around in a pram yesterday suddenly takes control of the wheels himself. I remember it well.

I hope MMF is OK, I can't stop thinking about her. burtha has been very quiet too and I sense that Pollyanna isn't her usual self. This is a difficult season on many counts and there are not many of us who can go through it without a pang of regret, a painful memory or mourning happy times now lost.

One foot in front of the other and b r e a t h e .

I have this awful feeling that something is supposed to happen today. I seem to recall saying , "Oh Friday will be fine. I'm not doing anything else on Friday."
    However, what ever it was is lost in the chaos of my mind. Think I'd better put on some respectable clothes in case someone arrives on the doorstep or rings up to ask where I am.
    Of course it may have been last week!

What's that saying? "I am suffering amnesia and deja vue at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks all - we trundle on. My sister seems to have picked up the ball at the moment - not the day to day stuff but sorting out dad's pain relief. She is training to be a nurse (she is 43 but has always wanted to do it) and so knows what she's talking about more than any of us (she is a couple of years in) and isn't overwhelmed by the medical profession and their lingo. I have bought him a TENS machine to see if that will take some of the edge off. I need to send it down - I know they get mixed reviews, but it wasn't expensive and worth a try.

The 'falls' team are going in any time now (Occupational Therapy and Physios - all his problems began after a fall) and I think they are going to review whether he needs more permanent care. sister is going to be there when they go in.. I have suggested respite for a while (to Sister, not dad) and she thinks that's a good solution as we can judge whether residential care is the way forward for him.

I am doing a weekend of volunteering this weekend, hedgelaying for a preserved railway that we are involved with. Mind, it's a bit parky out there, but a couple of days in the fresh air and sunshine will do me the world of good. Gonna make a batch of mince pies for our tea breaks.. the difficulty will be keeping OH off them until then..:rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Island Maid, I'm wearing a thermal vest, 2 tee shirts a smock and a hoodie along with thermal longjohns under my leggings and hand knitted socks!
    I was stood on the jetty for almost 2 hours as the water pressure is dire today, the tank isn't full but it's fuller but I came in because I was ffffffreezing.
    I did feed the swan whilst I was out there as he kept hissing at me to give me a hint.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    Morning all.
    Karcher, I can endorse your feelings about this thread. I have experienced the almost magical effect of having this disparate group of people, none of whom I would recognise if I fell over them, who united to pick me up when I was at the lowest point of my life. The love, support and concern, not to mention the devastating humour, that surrounded me was unbelievable. I don't think I will ever change my signature, it was chosen as a tribute to all on the fencers thread. It is a very special place.

I started making mincemeat yesterday. I do the Delia recipe for the church mincepies, (6 dozen required by Wednesday for Lunch Club's Christmas Meal) and that is almost ready. The boozy, brandy laden mincemeat for home, friends and neighbours will come later. It does help to make me feel a little more Christmassy.

ETA. Just realised that the last half of my post has been cut off. Not writing it all again so I will just add ..........

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

An apple a day will keep ANYONE away if thrown hard enough.

Oh thank you monnagran, that made me and OH laugh out loud :rotfl:

HUGS to you all on this morning which we were assured would be crisp and frosty here but instead is cold, damp and miz.
  • Islandmaid
    Forumite
    Island Maid, I'm wearing a thermal vest, 2 tee shirts a smock and a hoodie along with thermal longjohns under my leggings and hand knitted socks!
    I was stood on the jetty for almost 2 hours as the water pressure is dire today, the tank isn't full but it's fuller but I came in because I was ffffffreezing.
    I did feed the swan whilst I was out there as he kept hissing at me to give me a hint.

You need a good rub down with a hot man :rotfl::rotfl:

£300/£130
  • Unfortunately he's at work and by the time he's home dgd will be here too.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure