PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ouch CRANKY, get well soon! The house troll is a star :)
  • ouch Cranky I hope you are a bit better now.

I believe Polly calls them oilcloth bags, The extra strong big supermarket bags that fold flat and last for years, if you have one you have been using give it a wash out and use that for carrying downstairs, much lighter will, not break and you still have a hand left for the banister. Leave your new basket downstairs, when you get one, and just use to take it out to the line or you could use the supermarket bag for taking your washing out.

The last time I fell down stairs it was a lucky accident. I felt faint grabbed for the banister, this black shutter came down, when I came round, I was upside down legs up the stairs and head against the wall were the stairs turned the corner. I could not get up.

I had to shout and shout for DS as he was not up. He rang for an ambulance. It was a good job he had finished at collage the day before or I may have had to stay there all day and would have bled to death. It turned out I had internal bleeding. so off to hospital I went and ended up having an operation to find out where the bleeding was. That was how they found my cancer and it was huge. I had no symptoms. It could have been too late if the bleeding had not happened.

Just got back from Manchester, a fruitless journey considering what I went for. I had an appointment at 2.30 pm at the dental hospital. I was given directions buy the person who made my appointment but she did not tell me to cross the road so I walked about 2 miles in the opposite direction. The address was the Central Manchester University Hospitals so I went to them and wandered about until well past my appointment, having asked directions that sent me to turn right into a brick wall. When I ran out of hospitals, I went back to the biggest one and asked for directions again. No one sent me a map. Apparently I got off the bus at the right place but I should have been told to cross the road and go in an entirely different direction.

I have an appointment on 5th October because by the time I would have got there they would have closed.

Had a look in TK max on my way back. Been looking for a thin cotton dressing gown for years and I found a really nice one, I know it is a bit late in the year but we could still get some warm weather. It's original price was £55, :eek: who pays that price?

I also got a huge tablet of soap Lilly of the valley. Smells gorgeous so I will put it in my underwear draw for a few months then everything will smell of it. It was £1.50 and it is so huge I am sure it will last me a couple of years. They put lots of lovely smelly things and little trinkets where you wait to pay, noticed nearly everyone bought something while in the queue. It's as bad a sweets in the supermarket.
  • NM Although that fall must have been dreadful , how amazing it led to the discovery of your Cancer . That's one of those wonderous ways indeed . So sorry you had such a pointless journey you must be exhausted now . The one thing the trusts we use do get right are proper maps enclosed with the appt letter . Is your son finding the journey any easier now transport is back to normal?
    My oilcloth bags are the Cath Kidston version bought over the years from the outlets from Scotland to Bicester and much reduced in price .
    My mum had a couple of maroon oilcloth bags - everything seemed dark coloured back in the 50s .
    Some of the long life supermarket bags are ideal for lots of things and that's a good idea for Cranky.She is no doubt feeling very sore now and falls can be such a shock . I think we all need a House Troll he sounds a lovely lad who's obviously learned well from his lovely mum .
    It is really quiet on the threads at the moment so I'm sending good vibes to all .
    Is it just me or did anyone else picture Monnas karcher candle as yellow and black ?
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    NM I once went for an interview in a certain building, only to find that when I got to the site there was no building with that name and it wasn't mentioned on any sign... luckily I was able to ask someone in the car park who said "yes, it doesn't say that anywhere" :mad:
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss DS got sent to one like that by the job centre. It was an ordinary urban street with three story houses on either street. Most of them were flat and a few of them had names of small businesses but no name of the one he wanted and no number 22 which was its address. He said he walked up and down the street for two hours looking for the right number, he looked down gardens for alleys somewhere, nothing. He had no phone number so he went back to the job centre and they suspended him for a year for not phoning them! At the time he was only getting £30 a week JSA. How did they think I could feed and clothe him on that and pay for a mobile phone?

Did you find the interview you went to?

I meant the big rectangular bags That have a flat bottom when you fold them out and promptly fold up again when you try to put something in them. I have a net bag for carrying dirty laundry in as the baskets are so heavy.
  • I forgot again big Hugs to everyone as there may be more needing them.

I arrived home about 7.30 pm to the sound of thump thump, thump thump. They all sound the same. After an our and a half the thumps were joined buy a child screaming mummy mummy. Not the child above who cannot speak English this was definitely a middle class English child. Don't know where we would find one of those around here. Even the Asians have broad Bolton accents.
  • NM Hopefully all is quiet now . The sanction system doesn't seem to make sense at times . It isn't right to expect people to have the means to meet all the terms and conditions in place now . Many are without any support and cannot afford a basic mobile or internet access at times it seems set up to fail . I don't like abuse of the system but statistics prove that is a tiny minority compared to genuine claimants .

I wander into TK from time to time and can usually find something at a bargain price . As for the who can afford those original prices , it tends to be the more money than sense brigade and the fact those items are heavily reduced in TKs shows they are originally over priced .
    Enjoy your scented clothes . I love the smell of Liy of the valley . My mum always used to put soap in the drawers and airing cupboard for a while , she reckoned it lasted longer in use . I do the same too .
    Hope you get some sleep .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Hope you're ok cranky, well done to the HT.

DS2 arrived from The Netherlands yesterday for the weekend, good to see him, DD picked him up from the airport and dropped him here so got to see her too.

I had to cook a dinner! I usually eat from the lunch hall at work so I don't need to cook in the evenings but felt I should make the effort yesterday. I really enjoyed it but it made me very sleepy and I went to bed at 9.30!

Hope you're all well, burtha - you're doing a fantastic job, just remember to look after yourself.
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning all ,
    Shattered last night with a annoying headache, that's left me a bit wiped out this morning .... so on here instead of walking dogs ...
    Money is in hand , it's just sorting out and time ... and because of his new lifestyle choice money will be down anyway ....
    I have never wanted anything more than this place sold , large morgage,high maintenance house, never mind the other stuff ....
    So coffee ... before the normal Friday running around starts..

Have fun everyone xx
    £223/ £250 GC
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ho ho Polly.

My karchers candle is pale pink and called "pretty petals," or some such ridiculous name. It smells nice though, a bit like baby powder.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family