P.P.I claim, joint mortgage with now deceased exhusband.

Hi,
I had several mortgages with my husband in the 90's and 2000's over 15 years starting in 1990.
I've just started looking into claiming any PPI missold to us.
My ex-husband and I divorced in 2012 and he sadly passed away in June 2015. He died in intestate and our children inherited his entire estate as he had no partner/ new wife.

Assuming he didn't claim PPI (I don't know if he did) can I claim the whole sum due from the mortgages we paid towards jointly or will this be a complicated matter of involving our children? will I only receive half of the compensation?

Any one with experience of this kind of situation?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Whoever has probate can do it, you might need to apply for this

As it was a joint sum it would be paid in full to you as the sole remaining joint person assuming there were no debts etc
  • can I claim the whole sum due from the mortgages we paid
    If there was any ppi attached to the mortgage(s), you would need to show why it was unsuitable. Do you believe it was in some way mis-sold?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 January 2017 at 10:23AM
    Assuming he didn't claim PPI (I don't know if he did) can I claim the whole sum due from the mortgages we paid towards jointly or will this be a complicated matter of involving our children? will I only receive half of the compensation?

1 - Was there actually any MPPI?
    2 - Was it actually mis-sold?
    3 - was it arranged by lender or adviser/broker?

You then move onto the executor of his estate as they are the ones that can raise a complaint in his name. Is that you?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Apply for it, see if you are awarded a repayment, and then see how the bank/company want to play it as regards the other mortgage party.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Apply for it, see if you are awarded a repayment, and then see how the bank/company want to play it as regards the other mortgage party.

The "other mortgage party" is deceased, that was made clear in the original post. If it was a truly joint policy then the remaining joint person would be entitled to the full amount if they agree it was miss-sold
  • Hi Angi3
    I'm really interested to know how this panned out, as a friend is in a very similar situation He had a mortgage with his wife, who then divorced him. Unlike your husband, she did remarry, but she has since died. Any tips or info gratefully received. Thank you!
  • Hi Angi3
    I'm really interested to know how this panned out, as a friend is in a very similar situation

Angi3 last logged into this site more than a year ago. She never returned to update the thread and it's not even clear if she had PPI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure