Trustpilot - not to be trusted so much

Options

Comments

• Bren6
    Options
    Did a bit of research, couldn't find any evidence that the double glazing company (the one that always 'fits the best' ) has any connection to the States. Might be wrong but its puzzling that there are very, very few good reviews that are posted on Trustpilot by people from the UK!!
  • wesleyad
    Options
    I think its just the default country that's being selected...one of the USA reviews has a profile pic and that matches a facebook pic from a chap of the same name who lives in Berkshire.
  • Sjc1973
    Sjc1973 Posts: 84 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2017 at 6:39PM
    Options
    I am beginning to get suspicious about Trust Pilot and the patterns of how they reviews appear. Whether they know they are fake are not is a different matter. What i noticed when there is a lot of negative reviews, the company review page is then love bombed with loads of positive reviews. It could be agruged that some of the negative reviews could be fake as well maybe from rival companies although one broadband company I was giving a negative review about, the other negatives ones were very specific about their concerns (lots were proper ranting LOL) and were similar to mine in that there were common themes. I find it interesting that companies have to pay to use Trust Pilot as mentioned in a previous post, if this is the case undoubtly they are monitoring the feedback so that makes me more suspicious that they will do something to balance the negative feedback by posting very positive ones now, instead of trying to improve their service - Hmmmmmmm.
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another problem with the Trustpilot scheme is that some companies often register two or more entries, probably because their original entry has gathered a lot of negative feedback. The newly created Trustpilot page is then added to the company's webpage which gives a false representation of the company.
    Trustpilot should clamp down on multi entries for the same company.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would never take any notice of trustpilot.

I have found them to be anything but.
  • Sjc1973
    Options
    Totally agree. I really smelt a rat yesterday when I posted my original post. I was reading the extremely positive reviews that came in quick succession - they are so standised -'found info on the online support really helpful' ( in otherwise don't bother calls no us' how they found the company thorough 'u switch' (a plug for another service). It's hard to explain exactly on here but to me when I read these reviews I am highly scepitile particularly when you scroll further down and see the more balance views. I am not saying that all the positive reviews are fake but some don't seem legit to me. Once I noticed this I googled about fake reviews and stumbled on these posts that is making me question trusted trader more???
  • Sjc1973
    Options
    Sorry I meant trust pilot/ reviews
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many companies pay tp to manage their reviews.

When you realise that most companies who pay automatically send an email shortly after purchase asking for a review. The people who review tend to post glowing reviews as in most cases they will be pleased their purchase saved them money and the buying process was easy.

In addition most review sites don.t allow you to edit your review or rereview your purchase. So someone who posted a 5 star review very shortly after purchase. But later experienced a problem and wanted to post an updated review may not be able to.

I tend to ignore trust pilot reviews but may take notice of reviews not made immefiately after purchase as these tend to be more realistic.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    When you realise that most companies who pay automatically send an email shortly after purchase asking for a review. The people who review tend to post glowing reviews as in most cases they will be pleased their purchase saved them money and the buying process was easy.

Not forgetting the "Leave a review and get entered into a competition" strategy.
  • VickiB
    VickiB Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trustpilot - I wouldn't. There are many, many answers from suppliers/companies apologising for bad services or products yet the original complaint is not shown. Clearly, people have written details of their complaints but these are not published while reviews praising companies are given in detail. Trustpilot is biased in favour of positive comments which would make them very popular with companies but not honest or useful to customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure