Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    takman wrote: »
    So what big companies are taking part in tax evasion (which is illegally not paying the correct amount of tax) and have not payed what they owe?.

You can call it tax avoidance if you want but I know where my moral compass points. They love people like you defending them while demanding some young kid declares to few pounds tips they get over minimum wage. L

Like I said they can keep it as far as I am concerned. We all know what MPs had been getting away with for years. And I would call a lot of that theft!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    You can call it tax avoidance if you want but I know where my moral compass points. They love people like you defending them while demanding some young kid declares to few pounds tips they get over minimum wage. L

Like I said they can keep it as far as I am concerned. We all know what MPs had been getting away with for years. And I would call a lot of that theft!

So how much extra tax do you pay that you are not legally required too?.

If you only pay the legal minimum amount of tax then why do you expect large companies to pay extra?.

You have a strange moral compass if you think large companies should pay more tax than they legally have to and people on minimum wage can pay less than they legally have to.

If you think that certain groups of people can illegally evade tax then your no better than the MP's that your talking about.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I reckon some of the posters probably hold their breath until the meal's finished for fear the service staff will benefit from the oxygen they'd otherwise breathe out. :naughty:
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I care more all the big companies pay before some young person on minimum wage. When they all do I may reconsider.

Someone could be earning a wage of £11K plus tips of £22K. You think they shouldn't be paying any income tax?

Everyone should be paying their fair share of income tax. People on a very low income will legitimately pay nothing.

Paying people cash in the expectation that they will not declare it encourages dishonesty.
  • Sparkiee
    Sparkiee Posts: 13 Forumite
    I tend to tip if the service / food is good or better than expected. If I go to other countries I follow their customs but in the UK if everything is just standard then that is their job. If it exceeds that then I tip.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 4 January 2018 at 12:06PM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Someone could be earning a wage of £11K plus tips of £22K. You think they shouldn't be paying any income tax?

Everyone should be paying their fair share of income tax. People on a very low income will legitimately pay nothing.

Paying people cash in the expectation that they will not declare it encourages dishonesty.

I never said anything about not paying tax on their main income. I said they can keep my tip I gave to them and not put it in a central pot for everyone to share which was not my intention. If they don't pay tax on it I don't care. Maybe use your energy to make people pay who cost the NHS of millions who are not intilited.

You think people earn tips equal there main wage?!.......how silly and naive.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 4 January 2018 at 1:58PM
    takman wrote: »
    So how much extra tax do you pay that you are not legally required too?.

If you only pay the legal minimum amount of tax then why do you expect large companies to pay extra?.

You have a strange moral compass if you think large companies should pay more tax than they legally have to and people on minimum wage can pay less than they legally have to.

If you think that certain groups of people can illegally evade tax then your no better than the MP's that your talking about.

They get away with not paying because the system allows them. Just like MPs. Just because it's the law or they have a good accountant does not make it moral or just. How about you start at the top and work down.

I couldn't care less what you think about me and tips. I will continue to give it in cash and encourage them to keep it.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 4 January 2018 at 1:59PM
    I had a friend she worked in a restaurant, a large chain.

The management made all the staff put the tips in a central collection for an xmas party. I assume if you left before xmas you got none of the tips people had meant for you.

Before xmas the manage leaves or is transferred and head office could not care less about the tips or the party.

Like I said. I will only give cash to the waiter. What they decide to do, I don't care and will continue to do so regardless.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!

I know people whose tips are more than twice their salary.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They get away with not paying because the system allows them. Just like MPs. Just because it's the law or they have a good accountant does not make it moral or just. How about you start at the top and work down.

I couldn't care less what you think about me and tips. I will continue to give it cash and encourage them to keep it.

So if the system allows them to pay a "small" amount of tax then why would they pay more?. You don't pay more than you legally have to so why do you expect them to pay more.

But like you said if you don't agree with the current tax legislation then you need to contact your MP, start a campaign etc and get it changed. But telling specific people to avoid tax just because you disagree with tax laws is very contradictory.
    I never said anything about not paying tax on their main income. I said they can keep my tip I gave to them and not put it in a central pot for everyone to share which was not my intention. If they don't pay tax on it I don't care. Maybe use your energy to make people pay who cost the NHS of millions who are not intilited.

So you wan't people to be able to receive tips tax free.

Can't you see how that could be exploited, everyone would be paid minimum wage and anything over that would be "tips".
    Like I said. I will only give cash to the waiter. What they decide to do, I don't care and will continue to do so regardless.

This is another good example of why tipping is such a flawed concept. People should be paid to do a job and get paid to do a good job and rewarded by their employer. Why should only the waiting staff get extra money when the main reason people go to restaurants is for good food which is cooked by staff in the kitchen and nothing to do with the waiting staff.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback