Travel credit cards

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Get's better, Barclaycard finally accepted me, then gave me a credit limit of £260! Yes, really, despite perfect credit rating and annual earnings >£50K. Pathetic, cancelled. They can go and raffle.

Unfortunately credit ratings aren't taken into consideration for anything financial, the history is taken into account.
  • Thanks for that, but my history is perfect with all 4 credit agenciest. Never missed a payment etc. Who knows..?
  • Just want to inform you about Barclays platinum credit card. I was allowed a credit limit of £1200 which was fine. I wasn’t told there was a cash limit of £450 until the card was paid back in full (monthly direct debit). I could not make more than 1 withdrawal while I was on holiday. I phoned them and used all my mobile phone credit while waiting for customer services to answer. This caused a lot of distress while I was on holiday. I have never known a credit card to have a cash limit imposed. Lucky I had Halifax clarity for back up.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Sue_2111 wrote: »
    Just want to inform you about Barclays platinum credit card. I was allowed a credit limit of £1200 which was fine. I wasn’t told there was a cash limit of £450 until the card was paid back in full (monthly direct debit). I could not make more than 1 withdrawal while I was on holiday. I phoned them and used all my mobile phone credit while waiting for customer services to answer. This caused a lot of distress while I was on holiday. I have never known a credit card to have a cash limit imposed. Lucky I had Halifax clarity for back up.

You were told. I can see it within the blurb provided with the card on arrival. Did you read it or just discard and ignore it?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Any experiences with the 'B' credit card (offered by Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale Bank)? I was offered it along with my current account there (for the switch bonus), and apparently it has no loading for foreign currency transactions and so is suitable for purchases abroad, although not for withdrawing cash. Has anyone noticed any unfortunate small print, or practical problems?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Sue_2111 wrote: »
    Just want to inform you about Barclays platinum credit card. I was allowed a credit limit of £1200 which was fine. I wasn’t told there was a cash limit of £450 until the card was paid back in full (monthly direct debit). I could not make more than 1 withdrawal while I was on holiday. I phoned them and used all my mobile phone credit while waiting for customer services to answer. This caused a lot of distress while I was on holiday. I have never known a credit card to have a cash limit imposed. Lucky I had Halifax clarity for back up.
    Credit cards quite often do have a cash limit but typicially it's about half the credit limit. It seems the Barclaycard travel card has a cash limit of about a third of the credit limit.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    You were told. I can see it within the blurb provided with the card on arrival. Did you read it or just discard and ignore it?
    Yes but it's easy to miss. The online tools aren't much help, it gives a nice display of your available credit but no mention of the cash limit, and even if you click "Credit Limit" is makes no mention of the cash limit.
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    We used Starling Bank in NYC - worked perfect apart from the Metro where despite using the hotels Zip and the generic suggestions it just wouldn't work, so we took cash out and used that.

Worked very like the free Travelex app did by showing the ex rate etc

Recommended to my daughter who used it in NYC and her dad who used it in Oz to avoid fees etc

Love it!!!
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dipsy wrote: »
    We used Starling Bank in NYC - worked perfect apart from the Metro where despite using the hotels Zip and the generic suggestions it just wouldn't work, so we took cash out and used that.

Worked very like the free Travelex app did by showing the ex rate etc

Recommended to my daughter who used it in NYC and her dad who used it in Oz to avoid fees etc

Love it!!!

Hi for NYC metro if you are using a foreign card you need to enter magic code 99999, one of those strange system overrides, but it worked for me :)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6677044-Metro_Card_paying_by_Credit_Card-New_York_City_New_York.html
  • Hi folks,

Tandem Bank have launched a new credit card with no fees to spend overseas. As an added bonus, it also pays 0.5% cashback on all purchases, both in the UK and abroad.

You can read our write-up of the product in our Travel Credit Cards guide.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback