Carpentry

Hi all,

(South West Wales area)

I had a carpenter around last week who quoted just shy of £1000 to fit dado rail in our 7sqm bathroom (1.5m of one wall and 1m of the other wall is the shower and wouldn't need dado rail on those walls). I already have the dado rail, and simply wanted someone to fit it! So, hoping you can give me an idea of what I should look to pay for the below (appreciate you can't be accurate but a rough idea so I don't get royally ripped off) :

Fit dado rail (as above, 7sqm but shower is 1000 x 1500)
Finish off skirting board (we have done most of it but struggled to do the bay windows to a nice finish) - probably around 2m each.
Windowsill in 2 bay windows and 3 normal windows - normal windows are between 1-1.5m wide. Bays roughly 2m wide.
Hang 4 doors (already have the doors) and fit door handles
Fit door architrave to 3 doors
Hang two sets of 18inch doors to walk in wardrobes (I will supply doors) plus door handles to be fitted

Its lots of fiddly time consuming jobs that we want doing so we can concentrate on some other stuff (complete renovation) but carpenters have quoted £1000 to fit dado rail, £600 for architrave per door and £500 for a windowsill to be fitted. Not sure if these are reasonable prices but judging by the quotes I have had for a complete rewire, new bathroom, new kitchen and complete new central heating system, the carpenters around here are either taking the mick or they are the most highly paid tradesmen in the area!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hard to quote without looking, but the quote seems very over priced. I doubt that it is even a weeks work for a carpenter,so allow for fixings and about 1K labour for the lot
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oh my goodness, that seems way over the top. I don't think they want this job so have inflated prices hoping you will use another company.
  • Thank you for the advice. It has been a nightmare trying to get a carpenter. I'm going to try and DIY some of it. Spoke to a carpenter yesterday who told me he had never done a curved bay window (very common around here due to may 1930s houses, like mine). His suggestion was to dot and dab the wall to become square.... speechless!
  • jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thank you for the advice. It has been a nightmare trying to get a carpenter. I'm going to try and DIY some of it. Spoke to a carpenter yesterday who told me he had never done a curved bay window (very common around here due to may 1930s houses, like mine). His suggestion was to dot and dab the wall to become square.... speechless!

Are you using mdf or timber,one way is to run a saw through the back vertically on the bend at close intervals about half way through then make good the top edge once fitted .If using timber it can be steamed and bent but you will need to make up a steam tube and connect a steamer
  • We are using MDF. We have the old curved radiator so we have wrapped the MDF around the radiator and tied it tight with a long belt. It seems to have worked but it has been in that position for a while and I'm not sure I can wait another few weeks to do that for the other bay.

I'll try cutting the back to see if I can do a descent enough job! I was just hoping I could get a professional in so we could crack on with the other stuff that needs doing. The pros tend to do a much better job with the fiddly stuff.

Thanks!
  • Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some carpenters / fitters in the Kent area that they've used?
    I am looking to get a new kitchen fitted and have some other carpentry jobs that need doing also.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport