Benefits Savings Limit

I am aware that if you have x amount of savings then your universal credit will be reduced or stopped. Could I not just lend the money to a family member to avoid this, or would this be considered benefit fraud?

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if you intentionally deprive yourself of money in order to claim benefit, you will be treated as if you still have it.

if you don't tell them you have it, then it is fraud
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 7:40PM
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    RachelRyan wrote: »
    I am aware that if you have x amount of savings then your universal credit will be reduced or stopped. Could I not just lend the money to a family member to avoid this, or would this be considered benefit fraud?

Of course it's fraud. Do you really need that spelling out?

Benefits are there to help people in need. If you have over the benefits threshold you're not in need
  • There's no need to be rude because I'm not as intelligent as you. I'm simply asking a question to educate myself before I do something wrong. I'll seek help elsewhere in future if this is how you treat people.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OP - nannytone answered your question and wasn't rude.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There's no need to be rude

Really?
    Has anyone been rude?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • I was referring to the post above mine "Do really need that spelling out?" Is incredibly condescending. I have no qualms with anyone else who posted; sorry if I inferred otherwise.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Yes it would be benefit fraud, intentionally depriving yourself of capital so as to increase your entitlement to means tested benefit. You would be considered to still have the capital and likely penalised for commiting fraud
  • I understand. Thank you nannytone, alice holt and w06 for the information :)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I was referring to the post above mine "Do really need that spelling out?" Is incredibly condescending. I have no qualms with anyone else who posted; sorry if I inferred otherwise.

Sorry but it's so obvious that asking the question is ridiculous.

You asked if you can pretend to not have money in order to get benefits you're not entitled to. You don't have to be 'intelligent' to know that...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure