PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Completing after next Wednesday

So on the back of the news that Theresa May will be triggering article 50 next Wednesday, will this impact home purchases after this date?

Sorry if it sounds really silly but it's worrying.

I will also add I'm not looking for a political debate, just wondering if this process will affect wheels already in motion.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dk5294 wrote: »
    Sorry if it sounds really silly but it's worrying.
    It does sound really silly. It's not worrying. Everybody already knows it's going to happen.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    File under "news already discounted by the market." As david says this has been coming for months and is no surprise to anyone.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If your after a discount, the vendor will likely laugh in your face and tell you where to go
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Why would it?:huh::huh::huh:
  • dk5294
    dk5294 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Obviously we knew it was coming. I've not been living under a rock. There wasn't a date in place and there's been so many arguments surrounding it, there was no guarantee it would be triggered in the next month, let alone 10 days.

I am not looking for a discount. More worried that lenders will now be considered about the house not being worth as much as previously stated and hiking up interest rates or withdrawing mortgage offers.
  • dk5294
    dk5294 Posts: 178 Forumite
    *concerned
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    dk5294 wrote: »
    Obviously we knew it was coming. I've not been living under a rock. There wasn't a date in place and there's been so many arguments surrounding it, there was no guarantee it would be triggered in the next month, let alone 10 days.

I am not looking for a discount. More worried that lenders will now be considered about the house not being worth as much as previously stated and hiking up interest rates or withdrawing mortgage offers.

It's been clear it would be by the end of March for ages. This will have zero effect for now.

I understand the concern. The offer I made on my house was accepted the week before the Brexit vote and it panicked me. But here I am, enjoying the sunshine in my lovely house.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 4:58PM
    I think the posters above have missed the point.

Once article 50 is triggered all European leglislation will cease to bind the UK.

Contracts Exchanged or Completed after that date will be invalid until such time as Parliament either negotiates new agreements with the EU, or passes new leglislation to replace EU laws with UK laws.

All property insurance policies will become void (until such time etc etc).

Mortgage contracts likewise.

It will take about 2 years for all this to happen during which time property sales will have to go on hold.

Provided you Complete before Wednesday, you'll be fine.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Nice one G_M :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    I think the posters above have missed the point.

Once article 50 is triggered all European leglislation will cease to bind the UK.

Contracts Exchanged or Completed after that date will be invalid until such time as Parliament either negotiates new agreements with the EU, or passes new leglislation to replace EU laws with UK laws.

All property insurance policies will become void (until such time etc etc).

Mortgage contracts likewise.

It will take about 2 years for all this to happen during which time property sales will have to go on hold.

Provided you Complete before Wednesday, you'll be fine.

I hope you realise what you've done with this post! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport