Changes to job role after being off sick

Comments

• Sorry forgot to add I've worked there over 8 years, no previous issues
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Karenl2012 wrote: »
    The computer has been removed from my account but the account is still active so I can log in.

Could someone else be using the computer? Maybe in your absence someone else needs it.

If youve complained about management of your area, and youre off sick because of management in your area, it does make sense to perhaps move you from your area, especially if everyone else seems fairly happy.

If they are making you unhappy, and they are not willing to move the management for whatever reason, the only option then comes down to maybe moving you?

I guess what I dont understand is, you dont like the senior management of your work, and they don't seem to see the issues you do, what outcome do you actually want in order to reduce your stress?
  • Could someone else be using the computer? Maybe in your absence someone else needs it.

If youve complained about management of your area, and youre off sick because of management in your area, it does make sense to perhaps move you from your area, especially if everyone else seems fairly happy.

If they are making you unhappy, and they are not willing to move the management for whatever reason, the only option then comes down to maybe moving you?

I guess what I dont understand is, you dont like the senior management of your work, and they don't seem to see the issues you do, what outcome do you actually want in order to reduce your stress?

Hi Marlie,

If someone else was using my computer it would still show up on my account, its been removed from the account completely. I have no problem with people using my computer I've given my manager my login details etc.

Its actually been on going for a while now, I'm a bit worried about going too much in to it as I'm worried someone might read this so I'll try not to describe in too much detail, sorry for being so vague. The basics is that lots of staff (long term) have left steadily over the past year due to the same reasons (screaming and shouting at staff in full view of other colleagues/ uncalled for behaviour/ unbearable atmosphere basically) . Complaints have been made and nothing has happened.

I work in a small company so if I don't do my job I'll have to be given something else to do as there is not enough work for 2 (if they even allow me to stay after 2 months off sick)

I suppose I should just hand my notice in but it I have worked hard for years there, I have good benefits. I just feel like I don't see why I should have to leave everything I have worked hard for because of unreasonable behavior.

I just expected that maybe HR or my manager would contact me as I'm halfway through being off now and start discussing with me the plans to get me back in to work and if there are any changes that are due to be made. I have heard nothing from them so I just feel like I'm not sure what to do now. I have been on the fit for work website and it seems like the advice to HR is to put a plan together and keep in touch. I think that as I made a complaint maybe they don't want me back and are not willing to address any of the issues that have been going on.

It's making me feel so low. I'm so worried about my job, and I just don't know where I stand.

Thank you
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not really, I enjoy my work and have done a great job for the many years so to take this off of me would make me feel pretty crappy if I'm honest. The job itself is not the problem its a few senior members of staff that I'm having issues with (been going on for about 12 months but finally came out about a month ago) but the work falls under their department so I suppose that will be taken off me and I'll be given something else to do. I think this will make the situation worse.

Thank you

Then what resolution would you like from this situation? If you return into the same job in exactly the same situation surely you'll just be off with stress again in a few months. The company will want to be seen to be doing something and removing you from the problem seems a good solution in their eyes. If you have another reasonable suggestion they might well consider it.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Hi Marlie,

If someone else was using my computer it would still show up on my account, its been removed from the account completely. I have no problem with people using my computer I've given my manager my login details etc.

Its actually been on going for a while now, I'm a bit worried about going too much in to it as I'm worried someone might read this so I'll try not to describe in too much detail, sorry for being so vague. The basics is that lots of staff (long term) have left steadily over the past year due to the same reasons (screaming and shouting at staff in full view of other colleagues/ uncalled for behaviour/ unbearable atmosphere basically) . Complaints have been made and nothing has happened.

I work in a small company so if I don't do my job I'll have to be given something else to do as there is not enough work for 2 (if they even allow me to stay after 2 months off sick)

I suppose I should just hand my notice in but it I have worked hard for years there, I have good benefits. I just feel like I don't see why I should have to leave everything I have worked hard for because of unreasonable behavior.

I just expected that maybe HR or my manager would contact me as I'm halfway through being off now and start discussing with me the plans to get me back in to work and if there are any changes that are due to be made. I have heard nothing from them so I just feel like I'm not sure what to do now. I have been on the fit for work website and it seems like the advice to HR is to put a plan together and keep in touch. I think that as I made a complaint maybe they don't want me back and are not willing to address any of the issues that have been going on.

It's making me feel so low. I'm so worried about my job, and I just don't know where I stand.

Thank you

You are definitely overthinking and assuming things. stop trying to get onto your work computer. Stop trying to google what other HR departments might do. Just be off and do not think about work.

1. Everything you are worrying about is only from gossip Im assuming? You havent seen the girls payslip who is covering you. You also dont know that you are going to have your work changed.

2. Maybe if they are moving you, then you wont need access to your computer. Maybe they do this for people who are off sick, remove their access to computers? You don't NEED to be on the computer, so there's really nothing wrong with them removing your access. Maybe it is a security thing? Maybe they don't want you to see who is on your computer (I'm assuming its their computer, that you use, not 'yours') You say you could see if someone else was on it, maybe they don't want you to see that!

3. If complaints are continually being made, and nothing is done and people leave, it means that either a) the people are wrong/overreacting or b) the company don't care. You need to decide if it is actually worth staying somewhere with a work environment you cannot handle and which the company do not see or care about.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I agree that you are over thinking this. Actually, nothing at all has happened. And what someone else is paid is not your business. You appear to be summing this up as "you should probably resign because HR haven't made a back to work plan even though there is no guarantee that you'll be fit to return in a month (which is a long time); and because someone is covering your work but might be getting paid to do extra work for at least two months (which sounds pretty reasonable they should be); and you can't use a computer that you shouldn't be issuing anyway because your are off sick".

There's enough time to get stressed about things when they actually happen, without spending your time whilst off sick worrying about imaginary scenarios that haven't happened!

I would, however, point out that if you have fallen out with a few senior staff - as in more than one - you need to think about this carefully. "Right" and "wrong" are pretty meaningless concepts in employment - they are opinions. If several senior managers disagree with your views, then that suggests it is you that is out of step, not them.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I think sangie595 has summed up the situation very well. Unless managers are acting illegally, whether you think what they are doing is right/wrong, fair/unfair is of no consequence. Being 'vocal' about it, assuming you mean by that you are making your opinions loudly known in an open office, isn't helpful either.
    I've been in situations where I don't agree with what is happening. If the situation is brought up during a meeting I would say why I don't agree with it and then let it go.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I can see in this situation HR being very hands off till much closer to the return time.

You are on record as making complaints last thing HR need is claiming you are being harassed.

You are supposed to be off work yet still poking your nose in and complaining if you can't do your job at least let those that are in work get on with it.

They may well be working on a plan seems you have made it very clear that don't like the people you are working for in particular the location of the desk you work at, easiest solution is get someone else to do your job and when that is working work out what to do with you.

You have given them another month to work on it, they don't need to rush.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I agree with others that yes, you are probably over thinking this:

Someone different is covering your work.
    There may be any number of reasons for this. Maybe the person who normally does it pushed back and suggested that it was someone else's turn to help out. Maybe that person is busy. Maybe they were away themselves early on. Maybe the person who is currently covering was at a loose end. Maybe there is a power struggle going on between a couple of managers . I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities, too.

They are paying the person who is covering, extra
    For an absence of 2 months, that seems entirely reasonable. But also absolutely none of your business.

You are worried they may move you
    They haven't suggested this to you. Wait, and consider it if they do. However, if you have had issues with the person currently managing you / in charge of the area you work in, then they may well look at moving you aspart of their efforts to address the issues which caused you to become ill in the first place.

They haven't contacted you
    You've got a fit note that says you are not expected to return for another month, yes? If so, it's not unreasonable that they are not in touch yet. If you feel that your health is improving then there is no reason why you can't contact them, or indeed go back to your GP and review things.
    They have to balance the wish to help you back into work when you are ready, against the risk of you feeling that they are pressuring you or harassing you while you are off.
    plus, they may just be busy and it isn't a priority for them right now, bearing in mind you are not actually due back until after christmas.

You can't remotely access your computer
    I suspect that the most likely reason is that IT have had to change something somewhere, or there has been a review or update, and because you are away, either no-one has noticed that you got disconnected and not reconnected, or it's not a priority because you are not due back for a month.
    It may be that they have a policy of doing this for someone on extend sick leave.
    There are new Data Protection rules coming in next year, a lot of companies are revising and reviewing their IT and security arrangements, it's possible that someone has sen his as a security loophole that should be closed.
    Or it may be that your employers are making plans about some changes when you return and that part of that involves changing settings / locations / set up.

If you are sick with stress, then do bear in mind that you may be exaggerating or reading too much into things because you are unwell - it may be a symptom of your illness.

Ultimately, you won't know until you go back. But as a previous poster said, if you were unhappy about the behaviour of a manager in your area, a move to a different area may be the healthiest thing for you!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is it possible that during an extended period of absence your ability to log in remotely would be suspended? That does not seem unreasonable: you are not at work, you are not SUPPOSED to be at work, leaving you with unfettered access could be problematic.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport