PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017

Valli
Valli Posts: 24,754 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 1 December 2017 at 8:13AM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Christmas madness Looms - get your retreat ready - your bedroom

Level 1

Strip bed - leave to air while you have breakfast/school run etc...

then - vacuum/dust headboard and bedframe
remake bed
clear floordrobe/chairdrobe

Level 2

Dust bedside tables
Wipe sticky mats, sockets and switches
Dust any other furniture
Polish mirrors

Level 3

Clean windows and sills
Check corners for cobwebs
Dust skirtings
Vacuum floor

The plan (such as it is) is to ensure a comfortable, stress-free zone...

Extras

HHI
Write your Christmas Toots list - then you can tick bits off as you go
MAD half hour - if you can't think of one why not have half an hour wrapping presents/writing cards/sorting out online shopping - writing Xmas Toots list
For those for whom there are mixed feelings at Christmas - be kind to yourselves.
And if you're cooking squeeze something else in the oven at the same time and freeze the extra so that you can have a couple of meals to thaw when you're frazzled.
S&S kitchen and bathroom.

*Waves at atb who's snuck in mid thread construction!*

Tuesday - time to sort out the kitchen

Level 1

CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE

wash all moveable bits eg shelves, salad boxes etc
Check de-icer/drain holes are running clear
Dispose of anything that's crawled into a corner and died.
wipe down fridge innards and don't forget the seals - you want the fridge clean and fully-functional for December

Level 2

Wipe down counters/sides
wipe drawer fronts
wipe handles, sockets, switches and splashbacks

Level 3

Clean the floor

Extras

Freezer inventory. Space will be needed - what needs using up?
S&S bathroom
Make your bed and all beds in the house
Go and spend 10 minutes straightening the living room
MAD half hour - what can you tick off your ominous xmas to do list?
Have you got enough stamps?

Write a minimum of 5 cards

Wednesday Wonders - lounge

Level 1

Clear sofas - wipe/vacuum
plump cushions
tidy throws
take rubbish out
see to flowers/plants
wipe coasters
empty ashtray

Level 2

Clean coffee/lamp tables (polish and dust)
sort out newspapers/magazines into reycling
clean 'christmas tree corner' (where tree is/will be)
Check for webs

Level 3

Dust skirtings and shelves
Vacuum
wipe remotes/sockets/switches

Extras

5 cards
HHI
MAD - if you can't think of one pick a drawer or cupboard to declutter
Have you enough bulbs and batteries?
Take time out to tell someone you love them. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the last time my sister told me she loved me and gave me a kiss.:heart2: the love never dies.

Thursday bathroom

Level 1

Empty bin
Clear any rubbish
Wipe sill and polish window
Scrub sink
Polish taps
Wipe whatever sink stands in or on

Level 2
Scrub loo bowl inside and under the rim
Wipe over toilet
Scrub out bath and shower

Level 3
Polish shower screen
Deal with mould or mildew
Glue bleach down drains
Sweep and mop floor
Put out fresh towels

Extras
HHI
S&s kitchen
Mad half hour
Write 5 cards
Stay warm
[B][/B]Friday Flourish - 15 minute makeover

arm yourself with

duster, polish, damp cloth, kitchen roll, scrim (if you use one) and glass cleaner
and a binbag.

15 minutes MAX per room for as many 15 minutes as you have

stand in the doorway, look around and evaluate

straighten, tidy, fling and wipe where necessary and generally primp each room. the 15 minutes includes kitchen and bathroom swish and swipe.

Polish mirrors and remove sticky marks.

Vacuum high traffic area that need it.

Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    vest construction finished.. what to start next?!! Oh.. mittens.. for Squeak and Pixie!

ta for fred
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    pigpen wrote: »
    vest construction finished.. what to start next?!! Oh.. mittens.. for Squeak and Pixie!

ta for fred

I do like seeing pictures of your knitting..:D:D

Notice it's NOT the kitchen?

Work tomorrow - job 2 - office job - looks to run for another 8 weeks at least as colleague still off sick. By the time she comes back I'll be fully trained - and if she doesn't, hopefully I'll be up for consideration for permanent!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Me too please! Thanks for the thread, as always. I'm definitely duly scared and quivering - the mere sight of all those Christmas trees at the end of the last thread was enough to send me running for the hills. Well as far as the kettle anyway.;)

Catch you all in the morning.
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm still around, lurking but keeping up with some things plus lots of work. Busy weekend with my brother staying, great but eats up time. My mum arriving tomorrow and bil Wed for friend's funeral. Then move on back to usual life. . . Aagh how did Christmas sneak up? Thanks for lists.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ahhh...cheese and pesto sarnie...yum!

Sorry, got distracted! I'm in this week, despite the Christmas trees and dire warning. Thanks for lists ladies x

150 tree whips planted today with the splendid help of our very lovely NDNs. We definitely owe them a drink. I've just got to water them and keep them alive (the trees, not the neighbours) for the next few years. This will be a challenge as I have killed a cactus in the past :eek:

So much planned for this coming week. Lots to do, clean, sort, fling, buy and paint. I have cleared my ironing basket in preparation. However, I have about a dozen odd socks. Why? Surely they go in the wash at the same time as their partner! Does my washing machine eat socks? I've thrown some away that I know Tiny will have grown out of, so can bin the others, if and when they appear.

Sorry, got distracted again...
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you Natty for last week's lovely lists and thank you Valli for this week's.

Busy day tomorrow as have breakfast with a friend and physio at 1pm, managed quite a few toots this weekend:

1. Gifted ottoman, recovered and in hall as shoe box (even added lovely dimonte detail to top!)

2. Old shoebox dismantled (broke when stupid next door neighbour sat on it) bagged up for rubbish

3. DD's old toybox bought downstairs and painted grey to match dining room (just need to cover with wallpaper to match dining room)

4. Dining room wall painted grey (this has taken me two days and is only really half a wall as bottom is tongue and groove)

This week BIG TOOTS ..... wallpaper dining room wall and paint staircase

5. I'm one step ahead as have done all my ironing tonight

dog has fleas so had to deflea her, house, all her bedding/toys are in the washing machine on 95 degree wash with white vinegar and zoflora, haven't stopped itching all night

onwards and upwards
  • Morning flyfriends x
    I'm in again as much as I can be.
    Thanks to Valli and Natty for the lists.

Got a pretty full week this week
    Monday Dancing
    Wednesday Dancing, pick up parcel at marksies, pick up ballet shoes too.
    Thursday Pom competition team
    Saturday Dr Lisa Ellis workshop and private
    Sunday Jazz competition team
    I'm knackered just thinking about it and I don't have to dance:o At least I'm ahead (or am I behind) my bed was done yesterday. Will do the rest of the list when I get home.
    Off for a shower, I might feel nearly human afterwards.
    Laters xxx
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • I'm back again this week, despite not finding that much time to post last week I did manage to stay up to date with keeping house tidy (the parts that I have got tidy still loads to do). Off to a good start as bedroom windows already open and bed turned back. I'll have breakfast in a minute then go back up and finish round the bedroom and bring down a load of laundry, another area that I am on top of thanks to you lovely lot.
    Big big success last week was actually getting round to starting big admin frog I have, documents ordered so that is now underway, it will involve lots more work but actually working out where to start and starting was the biggest challenge. Also managed to get rid of another task that had been hanging over me for far too long and it wasn't even as difficult as I thought it would be.
    My bedroom is tidy and so I'm going to try and knock DD1s room into shape, she sorted stuff a few weeks ago when she was home so I need to take that to charity and get rid of rubbish then clean round, bed was stripped and all washed etc last week.
    Time to Fly, breakfast is calling, catch you all later.

Don't forget to SMILE
  • Morning ladies,

Thanks so much for the lists ladies I am in :)

Fell out with DH last night :( we've made friends now but still feel unsettled. I hate arguing.

Got up at 5.30 as absolutely loads to do today. We are all dressed, I've had a shower :j and am wearing CLEAN leggings :j:j

Towel wash on and DW unloaded. After school runs have two hours admin to do before I go volunteering then visit friend in hospital. Must buy small gift to take him, he loves snacks so I'm thinking some nice bits like posh crisps.

DDs year at school have to take a bottle in today for bottle tombola, I'm taking Robinsons squash, DH thinks I'm tight for not taking wine!

Piggers, I really hope you feel brighter today love. And you too YL. Have a hug from me and please visit the docs if you think the BD is back Piggers xx

Right, breakfast then must put make up on xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all :wave:

Thank you for the lists, Valli and Natty. I'm in as much as I can be this week, but I must get my essay finished. I managed 117 words yesterday :( but it is beginning to fall into place.

This morning I have a routine clinic appointment and will take my car to have its wheel alignment checked en route to the horse piddle.
    Rosie has her class this afternoon. I aim to pop her in the car early, drive to the woods and let her run off some energy, and then take her to class.

Back later... Hope everyone has a good day x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport