<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• Carrot Cake
    100g sultanas/whatever I have in a tub with 120g sugar (mixed white and brown) and 25ml hot water. Stir then add 50ml orange juice, some grated nutmeg and any grated citrus zest you have. Stir and leave it for a bit so the fruit to absorb some of the juices.
    3 eggs and 125ml of oil, mixed together. Add 200g grated carrot and then the fruit mix. Add 175g SR flour, teaspoon bicarb, teaspoon cinnamon and some grated nutmeg (or just use mixed spice if that's what you have). Its a batter rather than a sponge cake mix so its quite wet. Scrape it into a lined tray (mine is 20cm x 10cm) and then give it 40 minutes at 160 fan,

Makes a light tray bake style cake. I topped mine with a thin layer of buttercream, flavoured with grated nutmeg which is lovely.

I have a new jar of nutmeg (80p MrM) so everything will have it on for weeks. Might make some custard tarts later.
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wow thanks for the recipe redo, sounds amazing! Is on my list to try!
  • helsbell
    helsbell Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Carrot Cake
    100g sultanas/whatever I have in a tub with 120g sugar (mixed white and brown) and 25ml hot water. Stir then add 50ml orange juice, some grated nutmeg and any grated citrus zest you have. Stir and leave it for a bit so the fruit to absorb some of the juices.
    3 eggs and 125ml of oil, mixed together. Add 200g grated carrot and then the fruit mix. Add 175g SR flour, teaspoon bicarb, teaspoon cinnamon and some grated nutmeg (or just use mixed spice if that's what you have). Its a batter rather than a sponge cake mix so its quite wet. Scrape it into a lined tray (mine is 20cm x 10cm) and then give it 40 minutes at 160 fan,

Makes a light tray bake style cake. I topped mine with a thin layer of buttercream, flavoured with grated nutmeg which is lovely.

I have a new jar of nutmeg (80p MrM) so everything will have it on for weeks. Might make some custard tarts later.

That sounds delicious!!
    SPC 11, No. 062 DFD November 2020 :(
    Aug 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 MBNA £0 Total: £6093.42
    Aug 2018 B'Card £995.06 BoS £863.43 MBNA £3,644.98 Total: £5503.47
    9.68% paid off
  • Hi helsbell, and thanks for dropping by. The carrot cake has now gone.

Today I had the oven on for a roast so I also made custard tart (with nutmeg pastry) for OH , bakewell tart for boy 1, and double chocolate muffins for boy 2 - he says they were ok. I don't know what I do wrong with muffins.

More gardening, tidying log store, and holding ladders for gutter clearance and wisteria trim. No wasps nest this year hurrah, but the Stupid Pigeons are trying to hatch eggs again but higher up, rather than in the cats sleeping spot.

Much washing and a Dirty Dancings worth of ironing done, then turned around to see cat out of nowhere fast asleep on ironed white school shirts. Put ironing away and came back down to fat cat asleep in the steam press so I have had to leave that out too.

No tedious done this weekend, and the bare minimum to tick over SBs. No spending either so not all bad.
  • I may need to move in, I love nutmeg &#55357;&#56861;
    SPC 11, No. 062 DFD November 2020 :(
    Aug 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 MBNA £0 Total: £6093.42
    Aug 2018 B'Card £995.06 BoS £863.43 MBNA £3,644.98 Total: £5503.47
    9.68% paid off
  • Hi Redo,

Just dropping in the wave hi and say I enjoyed reading your diary! Lots of yummy cooking to be inspired by. Might have to make some custard tarts myself! Subscribed and looking forward to following.

DSL
  • Hi drspendlittle

Food shopping this morning as we were out of milk, boys are back on multiple bowls of cereal which is fine but not helpful. Tip run done, so that's one load gone. An hour of tedious done.

I was moaning about the cost of PE kit. DS1 has announced that he isn't doing PE this term as he will be in his personal development group. Hurrah, he hates PE but I wish I had been told before I bought the kit. DS2 lost his kit the first time he took it today. I could cry.

Onwards and upwards. OH requested french onion soup, so an excuse to cry.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can DS2 have DS1's PE kit (presumably it doesn't matter whether it fits as he'll just lose it anyway?).

Hope the lost stuff turns up.

I have done my tax return, sorted out lots of hotel/airline apps (very boring, but will be useful) and started working through all the people who are still sending to my old email accounts as I want to close them. HMRC were one of them, which is why I ended up doing the tax return.

Some of the accounts that use the old email addresses seem to have issues with updates, so it's taken a long time to change them.

Car is booked in for MOT. Tree surgeon has been and I'm booked in to have two dead trees felled, the hedges cut (including a bit of next door's hedge that they don't do and is stupidly overgrown), a willow re-pollarded, a wild pear pruned and the apple and pear removed. He'll leave me all the wood that can be burned.

My ironing is all back, so I think I need to head off to the bottle bank now as I've had no exercise at all today!
  • Well done on getting to grips with the outdoor jobs. I need to do the same...
    You seem very motivated and get lots done. I must drop by more often for inspiration :)
    Nutmeg pastry sounds stupidly good :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • At least you are ticking things off your list Greenbee

Different year, different kit sadly. You know, in the interests of making things easy for parents. It's all marked, in theory it should re-appear. In reality 4 out of 5 times it doesn't. He lost every jumper in the first fortnight last year, never saw any of them again despite being marked. Have complained to school who say they are a) his responsibility and b) not in lost property. Haven't sent him with one since, I'm still waiting for the social services referral. He wears a thermal vest instead, and says it is too hot in school anyway and he has a coat on outside. He's just a bit of an arty scatterbrain sadly, who can't see when something is right in front of him, and is (happily) too well brought up to take other children's regardless of labelling.

DS1 was saying they had a spot check on clothes marking today - he was one of the few who had both his tie and jacket marked. He says it was a shame or he could have swapped for one that fits...

Soup and bread are made, Probably should at least think about feeding the ravenous hoards before I sort spare PE kit, packed lunches and more tedious.

Bakewell tart gone. 1 muffin left - so they cant have been that bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback