Mortgage after a DMP

Has anyone had any experience with getting a new mortgage post DMP? We want to downsize and our current provider won't let us move any mortgage so we are currently stuck in a 5 bedroom house with only one child left at home. Teacher's BS has said they will consider us 3 years post DMP (we are currently 2 years). Seems daft not being able to get a smaller mortgage despite never defaulting on our large one.

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Are you looking to reduce the size of your mortgage in downsizing?
  • yes, our current outstanding mortgage is 165K and we would like to borrow a max of 100k but would settle on 75k. we have roughly 325k equity
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Have you asked your current lender if they will allow you to port and reduce the mortgage? If you keep it at the same or a lower LTV I can not see any risk to the lender.

Failing that, there are lenders but it could be normal rates or relatively high rates depending on how everything appears on your credit rpeort. It could be worth a chat with a broker.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure