Faulty goods return for replacement - discontinued

Bought a range cooker from a well known box store managed to get higher spec one as the sale price brought it into budget. Turned out to be faulty when came to install (stored couple weeks awaiting kitchen refit) long story short. Bounced around retailer/manufacturer/engineer/customer service so went to my credit card company and wrote to all relevant parties. Lo and behold the manufacturer ok'd return and replacement. So back to the retailer we went who advised would not be replacing as the appliance was now discontinued and no stock. They have offered refund of money for price paid. But as we got a good deal in sales we can no longer afford a similar spec cooker. Do I have any recourse to take this further as we have been left with opting for a substandard replacement for an item we never got to use as faulty? Or do we have to suck it up as the whole rigmarole of the past 3 weeks is time we can never get back? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you tried to do a dummy order (providing they have a website) to see if the item really is discontinued or if they are trying it on?

Not a lot you can do if it really is discontinued, they can't supply what they don't have. Although if the manufacturer has said yes to a replacement, have you asked if they can supply you with one directly. As they agreed to it, I presume they still have some stock even if the retailer doesn't.
  • You might have to opt for a lower spec cooker, but not a substand one. Take the refund and move on.
  • You paid £X you will be refunded £X not £X+ you will not be out of pocket, that is it. A lower spec cooker will still cook food, don't worry.
  • Its not substandard, its just the standard you would have bought if the sale price hadnt made a higher one more appealing...
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    My understanding of consumer rights is that the retailer can choose the remedy here. In that respect, they are more than entitled to choose to refund you and that would be an acceptable resolution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure