Price comparison website BEWARE!!!

13»

Comments

• Blimey, relax.
    It seems to me that some of you think you are expert in insurance, data protection and data sharing!
    My goodness.
    My thread only started with the intention of making people aware of what information is used and how. That’s it.
    I can’t disclose other things that prompted the compensation but believe me, insurance companies don’t want to chuck away money for nothing.
    With reference to other comments here, like trying to get free insurance or paying for a mistake etc etc.. it shows how superficial and angry some people are.
    Luckily I don’t have much time to spend on writing in forums and I can see how it puts people off in doing so.
    Au revoir
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It seems to me that some of you think you are expert in insurance, data protection and data sharing!

Well as it happens I am. I am the data protection controller for our company. As an IFA I am obviously aware of insurance and data sharing is routine in any financial services company because you have to share it to get quotes etc. All allowed and correct.

I'm not seeing any issues with the responses you have been given.
    I can!!!8217;t disclose other things that prompted the compensation but believe me, insurance companies don!!!8217;t want to chuck away money for nothing.

Actually, they do. It is cheaper to pay out smaller amounts than to argue the toss with many of these things. So, nowadays, you often see ridiculous payouts for things where there has been no wrongdoing. Also, the response you read from the firm with its fake apology is very obvious in style for anyone who understands the English language. The genuine apologies get worded quite differently.
    it shows how superficial and angry some people are.

I wouldnt say you were that bad but you did come across that way a bit.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    takman wrote: »
    If you want to find out how much certain circumstances effect insurance price then it's also advised to use made up names and a slightly different address.

That seems sensible but when you obtain online quotes many isurers do a soft search of your credit file. If they don't find your file they may not quote or quote a higher sum.
  • takman wrote: »
    So you think you should be able to apply for financial products trying different variations of job title, income etc to see what factors allow you to be accepted and then have no record it because it might be someone else applying?
    You're comparing apples and oranges. With motor insurance, it is perfectly legitimate and sensible to see how, if at all, certain changes would affect insurance. Would the price go down if I took an advanced driving course, if I installed a tracker, if I didn't let my young son drive it, etc. Lying about the points on your licences is wrong and illegal. But checking how the points I mentioned affect insurance quotes is not. My doubt is: if I do lots and lots of quotes with different variations of the points I have mentioned, would insurers somehow use it against me?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You're comparing apples and oranges. With motor insurance, it is perfectly legitimate and sensible to see how, if at all, certain changes would affect insurance. Would the price go down if I took an advanced driving course, if I installed a tracker, if I didn't let my young son drive it, etc. Lying about the points on your licences is wrong and illegal. But checking how the points I mentioned affect insurance quotes is not. My doubt is: if I do lots and lots of quotes with different variations of the points I have mentioned, would insurers somehow use it against me?

Most of that is reasonable but checking how certain penalty points will affect you is likely to cause suspicion that you have those points or are expecting to get them from the way you drive. The insurance companies aren't saying you cant't try a variation of factors when getting a quote and i think it's fair that they store and use this information to prevent fraud.

The OP seemed to have an issue with them requesting access to their licence to see if they have any undeclared endorsements. I think that is a reasonable thing for them to request it and i wouldn't have a problem providing that information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure