Balance transfer - expired card?

Hi all, is it possible to transfer a balance from a store card account where the card is actually expired?

Long story short, the debt was accrued a while back and due to 'poor account management' a new card was never offered once the previous card expired. Fast forward a couple of years and we have been offered a BT card with 0% which we would like to transfer the store card balance to, but we no longer have an actual card,only the account number, which I believe was the prev card number. Is it possible?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Best answer to your "is it possible?" question is, er, possibly!

Who's the store card with?
    How are you paying it now?...using the 16-digit number (alongside sort code and collection account number)?...Does it even have a 16-digit number?
    Who's the 0% BT card provider?
  • biged670
    biged670 Posts: 408
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Best answer to your "is it possible?" question is, er, possibly!

Who's the store card with?
    How are you paying it now?...using the 16-digit number (alongside sort code and collection account number)?...Does it even have a 16-digit number?
    Who's the 0% BT card provider?

The store card is with New Day. It is being paid every month with a set direct debit. The account number shown on a letter I have from them is 16 digits (I assume this to be the card number?). The new BT card would be with Virgin.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    biged670 wrote: »
    The account number shown on a letter I have from them is 16 digits (I assume this to be the card number?).

From what I recall, the account number isn't the card number.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,695
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you haven’t yet accepted the BT card, could you not try for a 0% money transfer card? Then you could transfer the money into your current account and pay the store card from there.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • biged670
    biged670 Posts: 408
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you haven’t yet accepted the BT card, could you not try for a 0% money transfer card? Then you could transfer the money into your current account and pay the store card from there.

Thats a very good idea, I hadn't actually thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP already has one...Virgin do MTs don't they? The fee may be a bit more though?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure