what to do with inheritance

Options
Good Evening everyone

I'm about to inherit between 75-80 thousand pounds from my step-dads will and was wondering what everyone thought of my plan to save it. This is only based on a few hours worth of reading this site over the last few evenings, before this I've never looked into any sort of financing.

- using the 123 current account as my main account to earn 1.25% on the first 20K
- 2 HTB accounts in my name and my girlfriends name
- opening and feeding a Santander regular saver at 5%
- opening a nationwide FlexDirect 5% account
- opening a nationwide Flexclusive saver
- JISA for my little boy

I have a few debts to settle first and want to book a family holiday but after that I need to put it away.

thanks for your help guys :D

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Good starting points and nothing fundamentally wrong but to get more specific advice a bit more information would help.

Put it away for how long? If it's for a few years cash is fine, if it's for when you retire in 40 years time it won't go far if left in cash.
    2 * HTBs - Guess you plan to buy a first property?
    Pension situation?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stocks and shares ISA! (For first 20k) Check out vanguard lifestrategy funds, check out the monevator or motley Fool blogs
    (Historically always comes back from crashes eventually)
  • byrney15
    byrney15 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Plan is to start to look at buying our first home next year sometime, nothing really set in stone yet. I'll be wanting to use a sizeable chunk of it for the deposit on the house when the time comes. I just want to make sure that with the rest of it I'm doing the best I can to look after it.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    byrney15 wrote: »
    Plan is to start to look at buying our first home next year sometime ... I'll be wanting to use a sizeable chunk of it for the deposit on the house when the time comes. I just want to make sure that with the rest of it I'm doing the best I can to look after it.

In that case don't even think about investing in stocks and shares; your plan is better. Use your capital to get a mortgage loan at a favourable interest rate by virtue of having a good loan-to-value ratio.
    byrney15 wrote: »
    2 HTB accounts in my name and my girlfriends name

Have you considered LISAs for the two of you (Lifetime ISAs)? You each save £4k and next April (I think it is) the taxpayer adds £1k for each of you. You can use the funds tax-efficiently to buy a first house or (but presumably not for you) you can let the account run until you are 60 and use it as a sort of pension with tax-free withdrawals.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • byrney15
    byrney15 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    In that case don't even think about investing in stocks and shares; your plan is better. Use your capital to get a mortgage loan at a favourable interest rate by virtue of having a good loan-to-value ratio.

Have you considered LISAs for the two of you (Lifetime ISAs)? You each save £4k and next April (I think it is) the taxpayer adds £1k for each of you. You can use the funds tax-efficiently to buy a first house or (but presumably not for you) you can let the account run until you are 60 and use it as a sort of pension with tax-free withdrawals.

I've looked into them, just trying to weigh up which will be better for us, I've got the 4k to deposit straight into a LISA so maybe its worth doing that.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pay off high interest debt, put some aside in a cash emergency fund, put whatever you need for the house deposit in an insured savings account and put the rest in something like a low cost Vanguard Life Strategy fund in an ISA.... think about a LISA depending on your work place pension situation and need for liquidity.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It'd be worth keeping the house deposit as low as possible if you are going to invest, since investing almost certainly will outstrip the mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure