Late PiP Assesment and motability

Hiya this is my first post on the MSE forum so please be nice 😊 I will try my best to explain the best I can, My wife had her pip Assesment at home on the 13th July, Her pip end date was the 14th July. I rang up motability to explain the situation and they said the car needs to be returned by the 4th August. After many phone calls between the DWP, Capita and Motability I managed to get an extension till the 15th August. why her Assesment was left until the day before her allowance stopped I have no idea, according to DWP it's computer generated 3 months before...yet I received a text on the 12th may saying the paperwork had been sent out which if I'm not wrong is only 2 months. Anyway the DWP have said the decision could now take 8 weeks to complete from when they receive the report from Capita (which is in the auditing stage) what happens if the decision is made after the 15th Aug, I know I have to give the car back but we are only one year into the lease. Do we get the car back when the decision is made? Also if we get the £250 good condition payment I read somewhere you can't join motability for 6 months again...is this true? Any advice or help would be great

P.s sorry it's long winded lol

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hiya this is my first post on the MSE forum so please be nice 😊 I will try my best to explain the best I can, My wife had her pip Assesment at home on the 13th July, Her pip end date was the 14th July. I rang up motability to explain the situation and they said the car needs to be returned by the 4th August. After many phone calls between the DWP, Capita and Motability I managed to get an extension till the 15th August. why her Assesment was left until the day before her allowance stopped I have no idea, according to DWP it's computer generated 3 months before...yet I received a text on the 12th may saying the paperwork had been sent out which if I'm not wrong is only 2 months. Anyway the DWP have said the decision could now take 8 weeks to complete from when they receive the report from Capita (which is in the auditing stage) what happens if the decision is made after the 15th Aug, I know I have to give the car back but we are only one year into the lease. Do we get the car back when the decision is made? Also if we get the £250 good condition payment I read somewhere you can't join motability for 6 months again...is this true? Any advice or help would be great

P.s sorry it's long winded lol
    Most PIP awards are reviewed 1 year before the award is due to end BUT they are some that are different to this and have an end date i believe which is what your wifes award must have been. Yes decisions can take up to 8 weeks but mostly a decision is made before that time. Although your wifes file has gone to audit which will delay the decision slightly. You can infact ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea of what the decision will be because mostly the DM goes with that report.
    If the car is returned and then you have a decision that your wife is awarded Enhanced mobility again then you can chose another car. You won't be able to have the one you return because the lease for that will have ended. The £250 good condition payment is made to everyone returning a car if it's in good condition. This won't affect when you can get your next car. Hopefully a decision will be made before the car is returned.
  • poppy12345
    Found this link about the good condition bonues. This is for car on the 3 year lease only, so if the car has to be returned you wouldn't get that in fact you may not get anything because you've only had the car for 1 year. See here...http://www.motability.co.uk/information-for-customers/cars-and-wheelchair-accessible-vehicles-customer-area/good-condition-bonus
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    Most PIP awards are reviewed 1 year before the award is due to end BUT they are some that are different to this and have an end date i believe which is what your wifes award must have been. Yes decisions can take up to 8 weeks but mostly a decision is made before that time. Although your wifes file has gone to audit which will delay the decision slightly. You can infact ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea of what the decision will be because mostly the DM goes with that report.
    If the car is returned and then you have a decision that your wife is awarded Enhanced mobility again then you can chose another car. You won't be able to have the one you return because the lease for that will have ended. The £250 good condition payment is made to everyone returning a car if it's in good condition. This won't affect when you can get your next car. Hopefully a decision will be made before the car is returned.
    I've requested a copy of the report from the DWP and hopefully receive it soon, is it Capita that score the points? We ended up a going to tribunal last time which took a year, so the wife has only really had the pip for a year plus the back pay, it's been really stressful for her as the last process was very long winded but hopefully she is awarded more than 2 years this time. I'm going to ring the DWP tomorrow to see if they have the report yet. Thankyou for your reply
  • poppy12345
    I've requested a copy of the report from the DWP and hopefully receive it soon, is it Capita that score the points? We ended up a going to tribunal last time which took a year, so the wife has only really had the pip for a year plus the back pay, it's been really stressful for her as the last process was very long winded but hopefully she is awarded more than 2 years this time. I'm going to ring the DWP tomorrow to see if they have the report yet. Thankyou for your reply
    It would be yes but it's the decision maker that makes the decision but like i said they mostly go with the report. It's rare for them to go against it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure