Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Soooo much to do at home, washing , cleaning (some of it long overdue!) but I think I should be at work :o dh said he'd rather me in extra next week, but here are things I can get on with to reduce my backlog. This must be exactly what they mean by torn between work and home :rotfl: I'm having a coffee before deciding which guilt trip will win!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Good luck with the decluttering NG! :) Rather jealous of your sons going to Ronnie Scott's - that's another thing for the 'one day' list, even though London is almost as close for us as you!

Alex - yes, I'm not sure I'd realistically want a vet car - as you say, getting parts is a bit of a problem! (Not that the prices on Rimmer Bros aren't a problem in themselves sometimes!:eek:) I do have a diary - not a lot car related on it at the moment though - we're seriously constrained by a single garage, a one-car drive and a very congested road! It's here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3842793&page=20#topofpage

ETA: Yes, we went to Goodwood Revival the same year you did (I noticed when reading your diary!) - different day though. We were taken by one of DH's suppliers - amazing day out! And the prices some of the cars were being sold for - £100K for an E-type anyone?!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 March 2017 at 10:49PM
    newgirly wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan for the future if you have land suitable so close by :)

I'm waiting up for the kids again tonight, last night ds1 went to Ronnie Scott's with my parents as they had a last minute spare ticket, tonight ds 1and 2 are at a gig in north London. I am now quite cold (heating off ) and pretty tired, trying to stay awake for question time. I am sure they will be fine as they are together but I still wait up :o I may go and collect them from the station in my pjs :D

I've spent a bit of money today, a couple of t shirts from next, plus some vacuum bags and giant checked storage zip up bags ready to start sorting my life out - or more accuratly clearing the eaves space and log cabin.

I don't really know what the future holds at the moment, NG. We'll take each day as it comes but possibly, yes, we may take on a bit of my neighbour's land someday.
    themadvix wrote: »
    Good luck with the decluttering NG! :) Rather jealous of your sons going to Ronnie Scott's - that's another thing for the 'one day' list, even though London is almost as close for us as you!

Alex - yes, I'm not sure I'd realistically want a vet car - as you say, getting parts is a bit of a problem! (Not that the prices on Rimmer Bros aren't a problem in themselves sometimes!:eek:) I do have a diary - not a lot car related on it at the moment though - we're seriously constrained by a single garage, a one-car drive and a very congested road! It's here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3842793&page=20#topofpage

ETA: Yes, we went to Goodwood Revival the same year you did (I noticed when reading your diary!) - different day though. We were taken by one of DH's suppliers - amazing day out! And the prices some of the cars were being sold for - £100K for an E-type anyone?!

:rotfl: Re, Rimmer Bros! :)

I'll have a look and follow. :)

E-types are regularly coming up for 6 figures at the moment. The car market has gone crazy in the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I'm seeing less classics on the road and when I buy a car I'm having to go through recommissioning it as they haven't been used. A lot of people seem to be buying them to collect dust (suppose that should be rust ;)) for "investment" purposes. :( As a genuine enthusiast I find it all a bit sad.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    Goodwood was great wasn't it, I'd love to go back but it's not easy to get a hotel nearby and not that cheap. I think the car park was the best bit :D

Alex, you are so right. On a Sunday you use to regualrly see people out in their classics, now you just don't, even relatively modern classics are getting like gold dust :(

I have an empty house today :eek: dh, dd and ds2 at work, ds1 gone to Bournemouth to watch football ( worlds worst mother forgot so he has a can of coke to take and no lunch, so will have fast food!) I stayed home yesterday and did the boring stuff like bleaching bathroom grout with a toothbrush - thrilling....

I'm off to the theatre tonight with dh, hopefully for a late birthday meal too if he gets home from work in time. Dd went to great place yesterday - the cereal killer cafe , looks amazing, she had 'unicorn poop' :D probably won't have a cereal based dinner tonight though :rotfl:

No mse stuff to report, currently fighting the urge to buy a new kitchen and or a mini. I shan't though.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Cleaning anything other than teeth with a toothbrush is pretty impressive.
  • newgirly
    Oh dear, just checked the cc so far this month and it's not great :( I've filled the car up, although dh keeps taking it at weekends to work as the van only seats two).

We booked download festival tickets for the boys for Xmas last year for the Sunday, I had also booked a couple of premier inn rooms nearby for £150 in December. After having a look they are now only £140 for the flexible price , so I've just booked them again and cancelled the first booking. This time I've paid though, filling the cc up to the maximum monthly budget. I'm going to use my birthday money to see us through the rest of this month £160 which will again be tight!

The garage direct debit has been sent through and if it's the same every month it will be £69, council tax has gone up £4 pm and water £5 pm. I thought I'd have a go at reducing the budget to £565 pm from £600 which will help a bit.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've never been to Goodwood but it's on my bucket list. I have stayed at the Goodwood Hotel for 6 weeks (Mon-Fri) though - and very nice it was! :D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    newgirly wrote: »
    Goodwood was great wasn't it, I'd love to go back but it's not easy to get a hotel nearby and not that cheap. I think the car park was the best bit :D

Alex, you are so right. On a Sunday you use to regualrly see people out in their classics, now you just don't, even relatively modern classics are getting like gold dust :(

I have an empty house today :eek: dh, dd and ds2 at work, ds1 gone to Bournemouth to watch football ( worlds worst mother forgot so he has a can of coke to take and no lunch, so will have fast food!) I stayed home yesterday and did the boring stuff like bleaching bathroom grout with a toothbrush - thrilling....

I'm off to the theatre tonight with dh, hopefully for a late birthday meal too if he gets home from work in time. Dd went to great place yesterday - the cereal killer cafe , looks amazing, she had 'unicorn poop' :D probably won't have a cereal based dinner tonight though :rotfl:

No mse stuff to report, currently fighting the urge to buy a new kitchen and or a mini. I shan't though.

I run mine most days, winter and summer but a fairly reasonable Saturday here and didn't see another classic on my drive out earlier. :(

Forget the kitchen and the Mini. Instead, get yourself a nice MGB. :D
    Cleaning anything other than teeth with a toothbrush is pretty impressive.

:rotfl: You've clearly never had a car with wire wheels. ;)
    greent wrote: »
    I've never been to Goodwood but it's on my bucket list. I have stayed at the Goodwood Hotel for 6 weeks (Mon-Fri) though - and very nice it was! :D
    x

Definitely go. It is ridiculously expensive, IMO but a brilliant weekend.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    6 weeks in a hotel !!! Sounds like heaven :D

Thanks for the advice Alex (your advice should come with a government warning :p) I would prefer another midget to a b, more fun to drive, alhough the correct answer would be all money is to be paid off the mortgage first, that's why we are here after all.

Shattered after a long night out, we saw the mousetrap which was ok.... bit gutted dh spent so much on tickets when cheap seats would have done, we missed dinner before as it was too late so ended up in pizza express Leicester Square eating at gone 11pm , then the vomit comet home where we ended up in the carriage with the toilet in _pale_ although it was quite funny as a drunk bloke walked out moaning that he was like that episode of the inbetweeners when Simon swaps his shoes with a tramp and they stink :rotfl: gave half the carriage the giggles.

Tradgedy of the night was my boots are ruined, only bought a month ago online and bits of them are peeling off, I am praying that they can be returned as they were £80 and they are the ones I can't live without. (This was however not connected to the toilet cubicle incident :rotfl::rotfl:)
  • newgirly
    Gosh I needed that lie in :)

Today's to do list:

Do some work from home for dh

Try and locate something smart to wear for a business meeting for a possible new client, dh wants me to go with him this week. Don't actually think I have anything suitable, Dd has loads but is a size 6-8 so that's a no go :rotfl:

Cook a roast

Cook some more tarka dahl

Do even more washing

Watch bates motel, still not seen last Mondays episode

Buy milk

Go to cinema to see kong if dh comes home early and is not too tired.

Change our bed sheets , the rest of the house is already done but mine HAVE to be done on a Sunday :D

Email eBay seller about dodgy boots
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback