Shop undercharged and I pointed it out

Hi

I have recently purchased an item of jewellery and the sales assistant charged me in excess of £1000 less than I expected to pay. I pointed this out to them at the time prior to completing the transaction that I was expecting to pay more, however they reassured me that it was correct. I am still not sure if this is correct and morally it is not sitting easy with me. However, where would I stand if they contacted me to request the additional payment if indeed they have undercharged me. I have already taken receipt of the item and I have a receipt for the transaction.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance given.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As you have paid for the item and recieved it, the contract of sale is fulfilled. You did the honourable thing and pointed out the potential problem.

I can't see that you need to worry about the morality of the situation - but I suspect you still will. It it helps you sleep better, put the difference into a savings account- if they have not contacted you with two years, they are not going to and you can rest easy. Give the money to a charity or spend it yourself at that time.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can only do so much, if they effectively wont take your money despite your asking them, that's their choice. It could be that you made the mistake -check you have the correct material, stone or anything else, also check there were no offers or deals on that day. The price difference could have been something as simple as misreading the stated price because you thought it pointed at a different item. It happens, and it happens both ways too trust me! If it makes you feel any better for getting what results to a bargain, try to return the good luck by passing it forward either in your actions (volunteering time etc) or being kinder (even kinder than you normally are!) to others.
  • Thank you so much for the responses guys! I'll take your advice on board.

All the best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport