Beneficiary asking for payment to be made to a different account

Options

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Some benefits aren't affected by temporary balances. These include inheritances being used to fund the buying of a house to live in, adaptations to an existing (or future) property for disabled people etc. I think the time limit is 6 months, or 12 months for those over State Pension age.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Some benefits aren't affected by temporary balances. These include inheritances being used to fund the buying of a house to live in, adaptations to an existing (or future) property for disabled people etc. I think the time limit is 6 months, or 12 months for those over State Pension age.
    Cetainly it is means tested benefits that can be affected. However, the claimant has to be open about any legacy that might affect the benefit. Diverting it elsewhere is likely to raise questions about their claim.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    We are only assumung they are up to something dodgy' they may just not have a bank account, or live in a place where all the banks have closed, or bank online. The OP asked if it was illegal to give them a cheque for someone else, and the answer is no, as long as the executor gets a signed receipt for the money it's none of their business what the beneficiary does with their legacy..
  • Not_a_clue
    Options
    Have you done a bankruptcy/IVA check on them. They could be trying to avoid the cash going to creditors/being grabbed for an unauthorised overdraft/to avoid a spouse getting hold of it in a divorce etc. You could be personally liable for it if do not act properly in checking for bankruptcy etc.

I would be quite suspicious, though it could be for an innocent reason. Protect your back though.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    We are only assumung they are up to something dodgy' they may just not have a bank account, or live in a place where all the banks have closed, or bank online.

I struggle to think of any reason for not having a bank account that isn't dodgy.

If you've spent your life living cash in hand and never needed a bank account, and you've inherited a significant amount of money, now you do.

If they have an online banking account and don't live near a bank they can post the cheque to their branch.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 8:35AM
    Options
    Although as a layperson, you will only be expected to check the Bankruptcy register as other systems are not always publicly available.
  • sammy1234567
    Options
    margot123, I was interested to read that your solicitor said only to pay beneficiaries by cheque.
    Is bank transfer not an acceptable way to pay a beneficiary their inheritance?
    Also, did your solicitor say you had to (try to) get a receipt signed by the beneficiary?
    I am about to pay out a legacy.
    Thanks.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would think one reason not to pay by bank transfer is to prevent what the OP was originally asking.

If somebody gives you bank details then there is no guarantee that it is their account.

However if you know the beneficiary well and are fairly sure that they are not trying a fiddle then there is no problem
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I struggle to think of any reason for not having a bank account that isn't dodgy.

It may be that their bank account is in overdraft, or breached an overdraft limit, and they want to spend their inheritance not use it to clear debt. Or that they want to hide the inheritance from someone who has access to that account. Plenty of innocent explanations, but dodgy ones too.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    It may be that their bank account is in overdraft, or breached an overdraft limit, and they want to spend their inheritance not use it to clear debt. Or that they want to hide the inheritance from someone who has access to that account. Plenty of innocent explanations, but dodgy ones too.

In both these cases the beneficiary could simply open a second current account in their own name and pay the cheque into it. Therefore the advice to an executor who has been asked to pay into a third party's account for those reasons remains the same: don't do it.

There is nothing technically wrong with not paying off an overdraft, however overdrafts are so expensive that it is difficult to imagine why someone who'd inherited money wouldn't pay it off immediately. Unless they are planning on spending / concealing the money and then declaring bankruptcy, at which point it becomes dodgy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure