PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are you making for dinner?

Options

Comments

• Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Executing a roast for three omnis (one a coeliac), a veggie, and a vegan. Roast chicken, homemade roasties in basil olive oil, ordinary Yorkshires, glutenfree Yorkshires, honey roast parsnips, peas, carrots, broccoli, green beans, glutenfree meat gravy, vegan gravy, and whatever condiments people fancy. Vegan London cheesecakes (the ones with icing and shredded coconut), and chocolate concrete with chocolate custard. Bit more adventurous than my usual glutenfree pasta with tomato and basil sauce to satisfy everyone!
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings for us tonight.

Ive had a busy Sunday morning cooking - Ive made a big pan of soup for lunches next week (a strange mix of carrot, onion, red lentil, chickpea, chilli and coconut as I had things to use up!); an apple pie; a jam and cream sponge sandwich cake; and a big tray of flapjacks to use up the odds and ends in the baking cupboard. These have chocolate chips, chopped glace cherries, chopped apricots, cranberries, coconut and pumpkin seeds in them which sounds odd but they taste fab!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a lot of cooking. It's very difficult when you have to cook for varying diets. However I can't see any protein for either the veggie or the vegan - they probably won't mind as it's just one meal. Presumably they can have enough protein in other meals during the day.
  • Tiglath
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    That's a lot of cooking. It's very difficult when you have to cook for varying diets. However I can't see any protein for either the veggie or the vegan - they probably won't mind as it's just one meal. Presumably they can have enough protein in other meals during the day.

Yeah we'll just have a 'ghost roast' - I'm the veggie and wheat intolerant so there's egg in the glutenfree Yorkshires and chocolate concrete, and milk in the chocolate custard. I may add some grated cheese to my veg if I feel like it, and the vegan may add nooch (nutritional yeast flakes) as sprinkles for that umami bite. There's also some protein in all the veggies, especially the peas and broccoli, and the vegan gravy gets added Marmite. It's actually really hard to be protein-deficient here in the west - neither I nor the vegan are at risk of kwashiorkor :)
  • Tiglath
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    Roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings for us tonight.

Ive had a busy Sunday morning cooking - Ive made a big pan of soup for lunches next week (a strange mix of carrot, onion, red lentil, chickpea, chilli and coconut as I had things to use up!); an apple pie; a jam and cream sponge sandwich cake; and a big tray of flapjacks to use up the odds and ends in the baking cupboard. These have chocolate chips, chopped glace cherries, chopped apricots, cranberries, coconut and pumpkin seeds in them which sounds odd but they taste fab!

Those flapjacks sound epic!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Tiglath wrote: »
    Yeah we'll just have a 'ghost roast' - I'm the veggie and wheat intolerant so there's egg in the glutenfree Yorkshires and chocolate concrete, and milk in the chocolate custard. I may add some grated cheese to my veg if I feel like it, and the vegan may add nooch (nutritional yeast flakes) as sprinkles for that umami bite. There's also some protein in all the veggies, especially the peas and broccoli, and the vegan gravy gets added Marmite. It's actually really hard to be protein-deficient here in the west - neither I nor the vegan are at risk of kwashiorkor :)

My veggie friend has a ghost roast (love that phrase, never heard it before) at Xmas. Her parents usually cook for the family and she says there's so much other stuff to eat that she doesn't need nor want them cooking special in addition to turkey for her.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Cottage pie with Savoy cabbage and mashed turnip mixed in with the potato topping.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    My veggie friend has a ghost roast (love that phrase, never heard it before) at Xmas. Her parents usually cook for the family and she says there's so much other stuff to eat that she doesn't need nor want them cooking special in addition to turkey for her.
    I don't eat meat and I would much rather have all the veg and accompanying bits than something different. At Christmas we went out for a work dinner, loads of lovely meals were being brought out. Mine arrived it was supposed to be a nut stack, but it looked like it had been thrown together and put into a muffin tin. Served with cold broccoli and new potatoes.
    I wanted the Yorkshire pudding, the sprouts, parsnip, carrots and stuffing and roast potatoes.
    I know its my choice but I did feel a bit short changed.

Today its beef and Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower, green beans and roast potatoes and parsnip. There's also some mushy peas left over from Friday.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    JIL lesson learned for next year, get the meat version (assuming you're ok with meant having been on your plate?) then you'll get the veg and accompaniments, and pass the meat onto someone else.

No idea what dinner tonight will be, OH has just had quorn sausages in a roll so prob won't be hungry. I ended up with a Cook! meal last night, chicken pad Thai...very nice it was too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Shepherds pie with a sweet potatoes and celeriac top.
    Also made a fresh loaf of bread and a sherry fruit cake. The house smells lovely.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport