Location of LPG Bottles

Please can anyone advise on where LPG bottled gas can be sited?. My neighbour has installed LPG central heating using bottled gas.

The LPG bottles are located in their garden next to the fence that is the boundary between my garden and theirs. The whole set up doesn't look very stable, the pipe connection from the top of the bottles is attached to a wooden post and the connection pipe to the house runs along the fence at floor level for about 2ft before it disappears in to the ground.

Thanks

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2017 at 2:19PM
    Bottles sited against a combustible fence is a no no. They must be secured to a wall and sat on either a concrete base or slabs bedded on mortar. I think they can be sited against your boundary provided it meets the regs - in England building regulations part j section 5. Maybe phone your local council building standards and check.
  • Thanks very much for the information.

The Fence is currently a wire fence which I want to replace with a wooden one but am concerned about the cylinder location. The regs seem to say that the cylinders have to be secured by straps and it does say located against a wall, neither of which apply.

Ill check with building standards
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2017 at 5:17PM
    Sorry, I assumed a wooden fence. I didn't think someone would be stupid enough to put them against a wire fence. :eek: Who actually installed the heating ? A gas safe registered person should never have done that or allowed it to be connected to an unsafe supply if the bottle site already existed.
  • I wasn't there when it was done, but your comments worry me more The person who owns the house doesn't seem to be there very often of late either.

As I planned to replace the wire fence I'm going to approach it as the guy who is doing the fence wont do it as the location of the gas bottles is an issue and see what response I get.

Thanks
  • anniebea
    anniebea Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't seem to have got a very positive response from the owner.

The building regs mentioned above apply to England and I cant seem to follow if these are applicable in Wales as well.

If they aren't does Wales have its own regulations?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure