2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Went to charity shop to drop off some books and buy some more, they sell them 5 for a pound, keeps me happy for the month and then I donate
    them back;

Picked up a brand new pair of Dr Keller sandals, cost £30 for £2 and a lovely cardigan for £1, looks new but little bit of seam unravelling, a quick stitch or two put it right
    Slimming World at target
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've finished the budget for January and we came in £19 under overall. A little worrying though that nothing was spent on water, gifts or car repair costs so we're going to have to be a bit stricter going forward or we'll be overspending when we do have to pay out for those things.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 February 2017 at 9:59AM
    Jazee wrote: »
    I've finished the budget for January and we came in £19 under overall. A little worrying though that nothing was spent on water, gifts or car repair costs so we're going to have to be a bit stricter going forward or we'll be overspending when we do have to pay out for those things.

your post inspired me to look at my spends for the month and :eek: I spent £1327 & my monthly budget is £580 :eek: however there were a couple of one off expenses that over the year should even out! £160 car repairs, £350 holiday, £95 for a second hand laptop, £131 for a 6 month membership to a swimming pool and sauna for the 3 of us. Even without these expenses we are £12 over budget but this is because we ended up paying 2 lots of energy during the month as we switched. However over the year I hope to recoup this from switching bb supplier

In positive news I got £1100 in extra income - got a tax rebate for £950 but even without this it's nearly £150 extra income. Also GC was £142.58 and our budget is £180 :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Honeylife
    Honeylife Posts: 249
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 February 2017 at 4:32PM
    Yesterday was the first day since 29th December 2016 I went grocery shopping! I walked around confused putting things back saying I don't really need it. Nothing seemed necessary anymore. I missed fresh fruit and yogurts but my daughter bought some. I used my emergency store of UHT milk which was ghastly in tea but ok in coffee. It had to be used as the use by date was rapidly approaching. I had so much pasta, rice, couscous, and tins in my cupboards and the freezer brought a new discovery every day and still, it's not empty! The only stuff I bought online was toilet paper on a Groupon offer. I finally did buy some fresh vegetables, came home and made soup ate some, froze the rest. Hard to break the habit of "some for the freezer."

It wasn't too bad to not go to the supermarket for a month.I didn't only save on the actual food shopping, but the not going out meant no spending on travel, eating out, i.e. coffee and cake treats. Plus I changed my Electric supplier so saved about £56pa.

I have been online far more than usual and was very tempted to make purchases there, especially for Events! However. I have resisted. Seeing that extra money not spent/saved £878.00 in my account yesterday was truly worth it. :T

February I have planned as my Ebay/Gumtree selling month. Lets see how that goes?
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964

2023: 1p challenge £667.95/ £669.00 completed
    2024: 1p challenge 667.95
    2024: 52 Challenge 1378.
    2024: Cashback
    2024: Sparechange
    2024: Declutter one room
  • Honeylife wrote: »
    Yesterday was the first day since 29th December 2016 I went grocery shopping! I walked around confused putting things back saying I don't really need it. Nothing seemed necessary anymore. I missed fresh fruit and yogurts but my daughter bought some. I used my emergency store of UHT milk which was ghastly in tea but ok in coffee. It had to be used as the use by date was rapidly approaching. I had so much pasta, rice, couscous, and tins in my cupboards and the freezer brought a new discovery every day and still, it's not empty! The only stuff I bought online was toilet paper on a Groupon offer. I finally did buy some fresh vegetables, came home and made soup ate some, froze the rest. Hard to break the habit of "some for the freezer."

It wasn't too bad to not go to the supermarket for a month.I didn't only save on the actual food shopping, but the not going out meant no spending on travel, eating out, i.e. coffee and cake treats. Plus I changed my Electric supplier so saved about £56pa.

I have been online far more than usual and was very tempted to make purchases there, especially for Events! However. I have resisted. Seeing that extra money not spent/saved £878.00 in my account yesterday was truly worth it. :T

February I have planned as my Ebay/Gumtree selling month. Lets see how that goes?

honeylife that's fantastic! Good for you :money:
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Frizzlef
    Frizzlef Posts: 334 Forumite
    Wow! Honeylife! I struggle to only go once a week. Was going to go today for formula and a few bits but a friend was going up and offered to get the formula. No Ham for sandwiches so will have to go tomorrow morning but can survive a day!!!
    Yesterday was another NSD. Today I am decorating so apart from formula nothing else should get bought!! X
    Grocery challenge- feb 2015- £133.07/£250
  • Hello!
    So I may be a little late but I am going to try some Frugal Living this year.
    I have a large debt to pay off and a wedding to save for so the more I can save, the better!
    It's nice to have it all written down in front of me so I'm just laying it out to motivate myself to stick to it.

My aim is to live on £5,000 for the year

I have also sat and worked out all my other spending and it's not as dire as I thought it would be. It turns out that between myself and the OH, we earn £30,000 a year (I work self-employed so figuring out my actual earnings can be difficult at times!) So our aim is to live on £20,000 a year including all the bills and essentials. That should leave us with £5,000 each with half going to the wedding fund and half going to the debt!

Hopefully we may end up more in pocket as the OH is planning on working O/T to get some extra dosh and Im clearing out the house, selling things off for extra cash.

I've filled out what I can from my January budget and I don't think we did too badly considering.
    I have noticed that although our food shop is around £28 a week, it seems to sneak up when we pop out for that extra pint of milk or cat food so Ill be keeping all receipts in Feb to try and keep on top of it!

I've been eagerly reading all your tips and advice on here, thanks for motivating me to do this!
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017: Living on £5,000 a year
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019: Living on £5,000 a year
    Debt Free Wannabe by August 2020 - Debt: £7850.16 / £7650.16 - July 2020!
  • Hello Everyone
    Just been catching up on everyone's news. Welcome to all the new folk too. January is done and we came in under budget yay! This is unheard of for January in our household:o
    Have applied for the Virgin money transfer Martin talks about in the main site and have paid off the loan. It's still the same debt but without the interest adding up month on month. Even with the transfer fee paid we have knocked £321 odd off the outstanding balance. I'll still be tackling the overpayment of the debt by living frugally and aiming to get it gone by November (fingers crossed).
    Off to repurpose an old hat into a new fascinator for a wedding we have next week. Did really well with my outfit from Ebay and jewellery from charity shops, new materials for fascinator £7 which is a lot better that the £35-£45 price tag when new in the shops. Just have to hope it ends up looking good or it will be 7 quid wasted :rotfl::rotfl:
    Have a great weekend everyone
    PP
    getting out of debt 1753/8350
  • Frizzlef
    Frizzlef Posts: 334 Forumite
    Another good week. Been really watching the pennies but amazing how quickly it can be frittered away. Both cars needed mot and service and a new tyre!!! So £550 gone in one foul swoop. Hopefully no more car maintenance for a while. £70 on food but that did include formula and nappies! Only £20 on fuel but main car is on red so will need filling up tomorrow. Rest wAs spent on a little anniversary pressie for my bro and sil. Also had a large dentist bill!!! So a few big expenses but nothing we could have done anything about! There were some leftovers from dinner so going to take some in for lunch tomorrow to save me having to make a packed lunch!

Managed to sell the jumperoo this week so some more money in my pot. Still got loads of stuff to advertise.
    Today we had a no car day. Just walked up to the shop to buy an anniversary card! Felt quite smug!!

Hope everyone else is doing well! X
    Grocery challenge- feb 2015- £133.07/£250
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 February 2017 at 1:47PM
    Have added my to spending for January. Total for general spends was £1177.87. This included the total cost of property maintenance for the year for the flat. For the past few years I have paid it off in one go as I had enough money in the bank to do so. They do offer that you can pay in monthly payments or 2 half yearly payments. Did go to Lu$h to get shampoo, conditioner and soap and they should last a while. Also paid for what women need each month from the ethical company. As brought in bulk they should last for the whole year. The brand is difficult to buy in shops. The grocery/household shop was £132.63. Was under budget for January.

Unfortunately, the temp job did not work out ok. Was unable to work within that environment as it caused me too much stress. So on the look out for other temp work. Applied for another permanent job at the weekend. Have not heard from the other permanent job I applied for.

My Mum and I went for a dental check up. Unfortunately for my Mum needs to have 2 fillings done. She hates going to the dentist and is dreading getting the fillings done. Have booked the appointment. Will be taking her as she is housebound and staying with her while she is having the treatment.

Have to be more careful with spending money. In January I achieved quite a few NSD's.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport