4 on 4 off Shift Pattern

Ok please bare with me on this as it's a bit long winded but driving me crazy. I work night shifts and do a 4 on 4 off shift pattern with one other guy, working nights doing 11 hour shifts...I get paid for the full 11 hours there's nothing taken off for breaks. My contract is for 40 hours per week and I'm paid on a monthly basis.

After doing these shifts for a couple of months my manager informs me I'm falling short by a few hours of my contracted 40 hours a week, in other words I'm not averaging 40 hours a week by doing the 4 on 4 off pattern, surely this isn't right. Over a 12 month period surely it would average out to 40 hours a week?

He then came up with the decision to give me 1 day shift during the month to make up for the shortfall...assuming there is one. That idea didn't last and now he has decided to put me on a 4 on 3 off shift pattern....but still only getting my 40 hours a week, surely this is over 40 hours. Its really getting me down now and want someone with knowledge of this type of thing to put me straight so I can put it to my manager.

My shift pattern is continuous as follows.

Monday work
Tuesday Work
Wednesday Work
Thursday Work
Friday Off
Saturday Off
Sunday Off
Monday Off
Tuesday on
Wednesday on......and so on

But now he's got me doing 4 on 3 off which doesn't seem right to me and surely over 40 hours.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume if I did 16 shifts in a month that averages to 4 shifts a week, 40 hours a week...well 44 in my case as I'm not deducted an hours break. Please any advice would be more than welcome, and if I am falling short on the 4 on 4 off pattern by how many hours a week would this be?

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    4 on 4 off means you work half the year, or 365/2 (=182.5) days of the year.

If on each of those shifts you work 11 hours, that's 11x182.5 (=2007.5) hours a year.

Over the 52 weeks in a year, that averages 38.6 hours a week.

[Though if your 11 hour shifts only count for 10 hours(?) then your average per week is 35.1 hours]
  • adewolves
    adewolves Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do 11 hour shifts, so basically over a 12 month period I'm falling short of just 1.4 hours a week, or 5.6 per month Brilliant and thanks for that mate.
  • adewolves
    adewolves Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also if I was on 4 on 3 off how many hours per week over a 12 month period would that work out to?
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 396 Forumite
    4 days on 3 days off... I work out that it averages around 44 hours a week
    Misc debts - £5,000 | Student loan - £9,000 | Mortgage - £180,000
    Goals for 2015: Sell house & downsize + Increase income + Get debt Free :shocked: {Diary}
    <3DS born 05/05/2009 & DS2 born 12/02/2011 <3
    Smoke free since 01/01/2010
    Paid off credit card 04/04/2011
  • bsms1147 wrote: »
    4 on 4 off means you work half the year, or 365/2 (=182.5) days of the year.

If on each of those shifts you work 11 hours, that's 11x182.5 (=2007.5) hours a year.

Over the 52 weeks in a year, that averages 38.6 hours a week.

[Though if your 11 hour shifts only count for 10 hours(?) then your average per week is 35.1 hours]

Don't forget holidays...
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    4 on 3 off is just a normal 7 day week. 44hrs

4 on 4 off works out as a 16 week cycle 14*4-4 shifts.

56d on 56d off over 112days.

3.5 days/38.5hrs per week average(12hr shifts is 42hr average).

(you can't use a full years as 16weeks does not fit into 52)

If they can't get the hours right then what holidays do you get?
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    How does he propose to give you 4 on 3 off with only one other guy? I work permanent nights with one other person and we do 2 on, 3 off, 2 on and then 2 off, 3 on, 2 off. Works great for us as we get every other weekend off. Can you extend your shift by 25 mins to increase your hours?
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    To simplify, at the moment you do 11 hours a night, that's 77 hours between you both per week so you work an average of 38.5 hours a week each and need to increase this somehow by 1.5 hours each.
  • mike3liz
    mike3liz Posts: 11 Forumite
    Same type of question can anyone help..
    We also work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts, we get paid for our lunch breaks and get 19.6 days annual holiday, how would you work out how many public/bank holidays we receive? we have been told instead of getting 6 day's public holiday's for 2016/17 they have calculated it as 50.53 hours which works out at 4 days 2 hours and 53 minutes, is this correct, should we not get 6 days @ 12 hours
  • Bank holidays are irrelevant. You are entitled to the same as any other employed person in the UK. This may or may not include bank holidays but will still remain the same regarding the number of days you are paid to take holiday. If you work a bank holiday, you have not taken the day off and therefore still have that day to use elsewhere. It does not make a difference, you MUST, BY LAW, be given the statutory 5.6 weeks a year. That's 5.6 x 1 day per week = 5.6 days paid holiday a year for someone working one day a week. 5.6 x 5 days per week = 28 days paid holiday per year. Both receive 5.6 weeks paid holiday, it just happens that the former is paid one day that week and latter, 5 days.
    You are entitled to 5.6 weeks off paid . I calculate you working hours as:
    4 on 4 off = working for 365/2 days per year = 182.5 days
    182.5/52 weeks = 3.5096 hours worked per week average
    3.5096 x 5.6 = 19.65 days paid leave per year
    A bank holiday, like any other day of the year, can be used s one of those days. If you DO work a bank holiday then , like any other day of the year, you have not received paid leave for that day and therefore still have that day to use as holiday later on. I hope this makes sense. Essentially, my point is that this calculation is indeed correct
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure