PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

I've just read the fake grass thread, and it got me thinking.
What kind of things would be a deal breaker for you?
I don't mean terrible area/apalling neighbours/massive cracks in the roof and water left to pour in for months etc.
More like - is a bit of peeling wallpaper ok? Original period windows that could do with some love? Is double glazing a must? Carpets the colour of a Dairy Milk bar? No shower in the bathroom? An unloved garden?
What do people expect to have to do when they buy a (not new built) house?
The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    First ever house I looked at had wood panelling applied to every single room. The place looked like a sauna.
    Would have required a huge amount of work to rip it all off and probably replaster. I guess on the upside it would have been cheap to heat for the first year but this was well before woodburners were fashionable.
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would never buy another house with cement rendered exterior walls. Looks alright when its new and/or freshly painted but overtime just becomes a maintenance headache to keep looking nice. It's also often a cause of damp on older houses because it traps moisture in the structure. You never know what the render might be hiding either.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I guess you wouldn't employ someone to do a survey? If you're making such a big investment, it would seem wise. Then you'd (hopefully) not be ripped off. But if you don't want to, then I'd try to buy the best house I could in the best area. I once made the mistake of buying a great house in a rubbish area and regretted it until the day I left. Neighbours were awful. The things you mention are all superficial though and if you loved the house in spite of them, no problem. I'd have to pass though!
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would hate a house in the middle of nowhere. This may include a house on an estate with no shops, schools or transport links. I would not like a house in the middle of an estate.

Internally there probably isn't a lot that would put me off if I liked the house in other ways - maybe wall-to wall artex would be a no-no - but most internal stuff can be fixed.

I'm not keen on the trend of open plan kitchen/eating/living all together, so that would be a no-no to me.

Also after forty years of living in terraced houses, off-street parking is a must and I wouldn't consider a house without it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • remembermee
    remembermee Posts: 87 Forumite
    I would never choose to buy a house that you have to go through the living room to get to the kitchen.
    Nor would I want to find myself in one that had the stairs coming off the living room.

As you can tell, I see the point of hallways lol
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wouldn't consider buying a house:
    In the middle of an estate
    In any area where neighbouring properties look unkempt/run down/uncared for
    With an overlooked back garden
    With no off-street parking
    Pebble-dashed
    External door leading directly into living room (unless the budget and property both enabled a decent porch extension to be easily added as a priority)
    Only bathroom downstairs (unless budget and property allowed for an additional bathroom to be easily added upstairs)
    Dark internally/small windows/lack of natural light
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Off road parking definitely a priority, and the surrounding area so if the neighbours look like they care for their homes. I always check the local crime map too, that's normally the first things I do.

Oh and not overlooked, though the house we have just bought is on the canal and our neighbours are on the towpath opposite, but there is a canal in between us so that's fine and no neighbours the other side just a wood we own.

For the right price the majority of other things can be changed or updated.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    I wouldn't consider buying a house:

Pebble-dashed

Why not? It looks smart and is zero maintenance for decades!

For example
    815_440_1_1_5632GnSLuY7a-lmusDMseUUi9vLGl1WcI2UyQs58x71IkM%2C0V1BBm2AY_vOqGASWHZs739GWyKZ9Py4awzSKDE_DZE.jpg?1448361528
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    lovehols wrote: »
    For the right price the majority of (other) things can be changed or updated.

I tried to answer the question, but that's the answer for us too.

There's almost nothing of our house, inside or outside, that remains the same.

If the location and setting suits, then provided the money, enthusiasm and the law allows, nothing trivial should stand in the way of buying it.

I'm a bit lacking in the enthusiasm department now, though! :rotfl:
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A house with little natural light. Or one in a shaded valley or amongst woodland.
    I need light....and preferably a pleasant view from most windows.
    :A Goddess :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport