Living in Germany but working for UK company

Options
Hi all,

I'm going to be working in a home-office in Germany in a month or so but working for a British company, I will still go back to the UK for one or two weeks of a month to work in office and stay with my parents.

Which steps do I need to take regarding tax?..

Thanks!

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Where are you normally tax resident? If you are tax resident in Germany then you'll likely remain that way so you probably need to speak to a German tax advisor. If you pay any UK taxes on your salary then you should be able to offset this against any taxes due in Germany under double tax treaty rules.
  • Jay442
    Jay442 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I will be a resident in Germany in April, though my salary is paid by a UK company into my UK bank account, and I work in the UK for 1 or 2 weeks a month
  • Jay442
    Jay442 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the links
  • LMS123
    LMS123 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 February 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    I've been looking into this myself. I don't think you can claim non-residency (and pay no tax in the UK) as you will be back in the UK for too long. Will you be paying income tax in Germany? If so, you can't be taxed here too as there is a dual tax agreement with Germany. You would have to pay tax in Germany or UK, whichever is the highest (of course!). I've tried to get answers about something similar from HMRC but was confused and fed up by the time I came off the phone.
    My own question is this: My son has worked in the UK this last tax year until Dec 2017. He hasn't worked since then. He is now going to work in Sweden during the first week in April for 12 months.He'll be paid gross into his UK bank account by a UK based company.. If he doesn't come back to the UK for less than 90 days in total during this tax year then he is classed as non-resident and will not pay UK tax. He has to complete a P85 to tell HMRC that he's going abroad to work. Does he have to complete a self-assessment form as well as the P85 or does that wait until Jan 2019?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure