Engine damage on a car bought 4 months ago.

Comments

• mrt36
    mrt36 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2018 at 4:47AM
    Hi Jaywood, I know everyone is basically blaming you for not checking the oil regularly, even though checking oil level is important, I can guarantee you many people don't check their oil and fluid levels, even when warning lights come on cars they are just ignored. OK yes the problem could have been avoided, but if you concentrate on the FACTS:
    The onus is on Motorpoint to prove the fault wasn't there at the time of sale. After 6 months the onus is on you to prove the fault wasn's there at the time of sale.
    As Hyundai have said it was the a poorly fitted fuel filter likely to be when it was last serviced, which was by Motorpoint the day you bought it, then the fault was there when you drove the car out of the dealers period, they have Hyundai's report. Yes in hindsight maybe you shouldn't have continued to drive it (that's the only ammunition they have against you if you tell them), but in my eyes when a car goes bang and starts rattling the damage was done already. Do not let them try and wriggle out of fixing the car.
    I know Motorpoint only sell newish cars with low mileage and you've probably spent a fortune on it, so I would expect nothing less then the car not to have a oil leak, if it was a older car with higher miles, my expectations would be much lower. Everyone on here regardless of what they say would be expecting the dealer to cough up as well.
    Good luck
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    To be fair to the OP. theres nothing really to prove the filter has been leaking from day 1.
    Looking on Google it looks like the filter would be out of sight on general under bonnet checks.

OP page 50 of the manual shows some diesels are fitted with a low oil warning light,most with low oil pressure.
    Do you know what yours has.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Jaywood89 wrote: »
    But states “knocking noise in engine coming from running with little to no oil”

This is what Motorpoint will rely on to get them out of the repair bill. The filter may well have been faulty but what actually killed the engine was the oil level not being checked for 4 months which allowed the level to drop dangerously low and cause internal damage to the engine. Had the oil been checked and topped up regularly during that 4 months the engine would most likely have survived and the filter could have been replaced at a cost of a few pounds.

They will also jump on the fact the OP continued to drive the car after the engine cut out and started rattling. Whilst this was not a clever idea the terminal damage was probably already done by the point the car cut out the first time.

Good luck with this OP but you may want to start looking into getting a replacement engine from a written off car to replace yours as this may be cheaper than a rebuild.
  • Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Thanks again guys for the replies.

Angry cow can I just question something...you say regularly topping up the oil would of saved the engine? But isn’t that speculative? I mean if I checked the oil as low when I refuelled and topped up but then didn’t drive it for over a week (which happened a lot) it would of easily of drained of oil in this time so I was essentially sitting on a ticking time bomb. Which was caused by the major oil leak from the Filter.

This car is driven a max of 20 miles a week so we just don’t refuel or check the same as my main car.

Overall I think my argument is going to have to be that the oil leak is the root cause of issue. Had the oil leak not existed this would of not happened, however had I not checked the oil without the leak there would be no reasonable reason for the car engine to break. The car has not done 3000 miles or is used often enough to be constantly checked. I know people on here will argue I should be checking it weekly but I Have never checked a cars oil levels weekly and most of the general public does not either.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Angry cow can I just question something...you say regularly topping up the oil would of saved the engine? But isn’t that speculative? I mean if I checked the oil as low when I refuelled and topped up but then didn’t drive it for over a week (which happened a lot) it would of easily of drained of oil in this time so I was essentially sitting on a ticking time bomb. Which was caused by the major oil leak from the Filter.

Oil won't just "leak out" while the engine's not running. The bulk of the oil sits in the sump, not the filter, and it's cold and thick. When the engine's running, it's hot and thin, and being pumped around the engine under pressure.
    Overall I think my argument is going to have to be that the oil leak is the root cause of issue.

There's no argument about that. They are responsible for replacing the damaged filter housing.

However, they are NOT responsible for sorting the damage arising from driving it with a low oil level. You failed to take reasonable basic precautions to mitigate the damage.
    I know people on here will argue I should be checking it weekly but I Have never checked a cars oil levels weekly and most of the general public does not either.

It's very true that the majority of drivers neglect the basic checks, yes. That's why so many people drive around with ill-maintained cars, illegally bald tyres, failed lights etc.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Iceweasel.....

I’ve read your comment several times and I just can’t find anything in it other than snide and rudeness.

I take it you have read the comments above so are aware of tje financial crisis we will face now. Did you think you were being helpful? I have really appreciated everyone’s honestly and help but your comments felt more mocking and intentionally rude. All the underlines and capitals like I’m being sent a threatening letter from a bank.

So I’m just going to brush past them and hope if you do comment further or to anyone else on a forum please remember there is an ‘actual’ person reading them, one who is facing a crisis and please remember you have no idea how your comments can be taken.

I know I should not insight a forum argument. It never ends well but I just couldn’t leave it where it was when the rest of the conversations have been so helpful and civil, even if it wasn’t what I wanted to hear.

Pity you feel like that - it seems that you have still not woke up to the reality that despite who's fault it was that there was a leak, the reason for the engine failure was up to you not checking.

The caps and underling was to emphasise the most important part of my post - nothing else. Believe it or not I empathise with your predicament having had a catastrophic gearbox failure (£3500) a few years ago.

I would be very surprised if you get any help with the cost of repairs.

I can only suggest a loan or a credit transfer at 0% interest as a source of funding the repairs.

Please do come back and inform us of the outcome.
  • Ok thanks.

I wasn’t aware of the oil consistency but can I ask. When if oil doesn’t leak when car is off did the AA man find a large oil puddle where the car had been? I’m not saying your wrong just want to know the reasons behind things.

Also can I play devils advocate and say that had I been filling the oil up regularly but everytime it was driven the oil “!!!!ed out like a fountain” words used by the Hyundai dealership not me, then how would we of caught the problem
    In time? There is no evidence of an oil leak unless you are under the car. Also the mechanic has not switched on the engine And still it leaked so why was that happening? (Hope that didn’t sound argumentative, just need to make sure I’m informed on things)

As for our part say
    For example I had filled the oil then drove to Scotland for a family holiday. By the time we got there the oil would of been gone and is running on empty due to the leak. Had the engine packed up then would it of been our fault?

I have to think about how this would look in front of a court and speculation doesn’t work in court over proven facts. So my final question is without proof I have not been filling the oil regularly what would their defence be? As the car isn’t less than 6 months old it is not my point to prove.

I know I’ve said it like 4 times but I hope I don’t sound rude when asking these questions. Always appreciate other views
  • Is less than 6 months not isn’t
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wasn’t aware of the oil consistency but can I ask. When if oil doesn’t leak when car is off did the AA man find a large oil puddle where the car had been? I’m not saying your wrong just want to know the reasons behind things.

Because when it was running and leaking, it coated a lot of things under the car, which it then dripped off.

Which does beg the question why you never noticed the car "marking its territory"?
    Also can I play devils advocate and say that had I been filling the oil up regularly but everytime it was driven the oil “!!!!ed out like a fountain” words used by the Hyundai dealership not me, then how would we of caught the problem
    In time?

You'd have noticed the level dropping, and the stains where it was parked, then taken the car to the garage. They'd have found and resolved the split housing, and everything would have been fine.
  • Thanks again

I never noticed an oil leak as the car a parked on the road and not always in the same spot due to the busy road. it took the AA guy 5 minutes of snooping to see the oil running down the drain and that was only visible because it was pouring it down at the time.

And I wouldn’t be looking for an oil puddle on a car I’ve just purchased and is only a few months old. I’m sure you are saying exactly what motor point will argue but I still maintain that a chain of events due to a cracked oil filter is a reasonable argument and frankly I’m not willing to shrug off £10,000 to replace an engine on a new car that cost me £17,000 and just letting it go isn’t an option I can neither afford not borrow to fix this issue so I will atleast take the issue as far as I reasonably can and seek legal advice

Thank u all for the help though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport