Back pay unpaid NI payments and up other pension?

2»

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    molerat wrote: »
    How much is your current amount - years are irrelevant, it is the £ that matters pre 2016. How much is your forecast amount ?
  • purpleroad
    purpleroad Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2017 at 10:58PM
    Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2017
    • £59.36 a week

Think £159.55 a week
    £693.76 a month, £8,325.09 a year is only if I contribute another 22 years.
  • Johnnyboy11
    Johnnyboy11 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2017 at 7:08AM
    As an expat you should be entitled to pay arrears of 6 years of Class 2 Voluntary NICs which currently cost £2.80 per week. So for about £800 you can add 6 full years to your current 12 years of State Pension eligibility.

There are some rules around eligibility to pay Class 2 NICs rather than the more expensive Class 3 NICs, the main one being that you were working immediately before you left the UK (defined as a maximum of one week, so be careful on this point). There's a form to fill out at the back of HMRC Guide NI38 to apply to pay NIC arrears, but make it clear that you only want to pay Class 2 NICs. I think Class 2 NICs are being phased out at the end of this tax year, so I'd be quick in applying if I were you.

HMRC will write to you with a table showing how much you need to pay them for each of the last 6 years. Send them a cheque for the total and you're done. You can also use the form to set up a Direct Debit going forward.
  • purpleroad
    purpleroad Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 11:20PM
    As an expat you should be entitled to pay arrears of 6 years of Class 2 Voluntary NICs which currently cost £2.80 per week. So for about £800 you can add 6 full years to your current 12 years of State Pension eligibility.

There are some rules around eligibility to pay Class 2 NICs rather than the more expensive Class 3 NICs, the main one being that you were working immediately before you left the UK (defined as a maximum of one week, so be careful on this point). There's a form to fill out at the back of HMRC Guide NI38 to apply to pay NIC arrears, but make it clear that you only want to pay Class 2 NICs. I think Class 2 NICs are being phased out at the end of this tax year, so I'd be quick in applying if I were you.

HMRC will write to you with a table showing how much you need to pay them for each of the last 6 years. Send them a cheque for the total and you're done. You can also use the form to set up a Direct Debit going forward.

I have been back in the UK for the last 6 years and paid all my NI for this period so couldn't do this, could I?

They are asking for 2005-2009 and £600 for each of these years. Can I pay the cheaper class 2 ones for this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure