How do you maximise 20k plus?

Hi everyone,

I have for the past four years saved and acquired 20k (currently sitting in a saving account with poor interest).

This money will ultimately go towards my first house but as I live in London the dream of buying in London seems distant therefore I have been thinking about buying outside of London.

Ideally, I would like to split the money into the following: high (10%) medium (20%) and low risk (70%) investments.

Does anyone have any pointers or generally comments on how to utilise and maximise 20k???

Cheers

Comments

• ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Shreevey wrote: »
    Ideally, I would like to split the money into the following: high (10%) medium (20%) and low risk (70%) investments.

Does anyone have any pointers or generally comments on how to utilise and maximise 20k???

What's your time horizon? As a rule of thumb, if you want to call on the money in five years, you will be saving, not investing. Longer than that and you can consider investing rather than saving, or some mix of the two.

Have you looked at Help to Buy ISAs and Lifetime ISAs? Free money is always nice, assuming you meet the criteria.

Investing for house purchase deposits is always tough, because of the short-term requirement for the money. What is the basis for your high, medium and low risk split, and what do you mean by high, medium and low risk?
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    High: Stocks and Shares ISA
    Medium: Peer to Peer
    Low: Help to Buy and/or Lifetime ISA?
    : )
  • I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

I have 40k. 20k of that I have sitting in a Santander account gaining interest every month.

What I have in that account though s the other 20k and I just don't know where to put this. I've opened a Nationwide savings account this month so that will let me funnel some of it in. Now I am also thinking of a first time buyer ISA - because that is the plan, to buy an abode next year. If it isn't next year I can leave the money in there (I think) and continue to gain the interest. The only thing that puts a ? on this ISA for me are the linits of what you can spend on a propery. I also presume that I can just pull this money out and still get the interest I've accrued?

I know there are ways of opening several Bank of Scotland accounts, but for me that is too much hassle (and their rate is dropping soon).

So, if there are any other suggestions where I can put 20/25k I'd also be glad to hear them.
  • Is it just you or do you have a partner you trust

If just you it's taught. Could put 2500 in a nationwide account. 1500 in a tsb and pay 750 a month into the two regular savers those banks offer. Could do p2p but your capital is at risk so probably not the best option for a house deposit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure