Pollyanna

Options

Comments

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Daughter is developing an addiction to Pesto.
    At £1 a jar at tesco, I can hardly complain.

On the downside, I spilt Xanthan Gum all over the work surface. Anybody else ever done that? That stuff sticks like GLUE! Couldn't even srcub it off my hands once they'd got wet, and I couldn't wash up the knife it got all over as it turned the handle into a lethally slippery weapon. Bizarrest substance. Although I think I have now worked out why it gets used in gluten free baking so much .........

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Oh, and remember that little girl I used to teach who had to move back to her home country very suddenly (deported :mad:), well the family are having a hell of a job finding a suitable piano teacher, so have asked me to teach her over Skype.
    It's not something I would normally say yes to, but it's extentuating circumstances, I already know the student, and I know the family well enough to ba able to get them involved effectively in the lesson for moments when Skype isn't quite enough. Plus, I've only agreed to a trial run, see how it goes.
    I'm not wholly convinced, and to be honest, it'sreally not the money that got me saying a provisional yes in the end, but the weekly conversations I have with the remaining family member left in the uk about how difficult it has been to find a piano teacher for the little girl.

I have reservations, but it may work out, we won't know till we try it.....

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Nectar website wins the the award for most stupid.

I have an account but no card.
    I am logged in (don't know how, but I am logged in)
    I would like a card.

To request a card, I need to relog in by entering my card number :o
    To send an email asking what I do if I don't have my card, I have to.... Guess what? Login using my card number. :eek:

Just as well I'm not a millionaire in points isn't it? (66, since you asked, it's not even a spendable amount....)

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Damn. I don't think the water rates went out I new account. Have to wait for them to open to check. I might be wrong, they might be due tomorrow....

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Still waiting for Smile account to be opened... "final checks" seem to be taking forever!

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    It looks like I'm wrong - I think the water rates are due out in the next few days.
    Of course this would be so much easier to work out if banks caught up with the 21st century and starting organising direct debits to come out on the ACTUAL date they're meant to. Honestly, what difference does it make to a computer system if the day is Sunday? It's not like computer systems have a 39 hour week with pensions and holiday pay.

Hahahahah!!! Just realised what I wrote.
    Nor do I!!!!!!

Oh dear that's funny.

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Yay!!!!!!!! I'm back in credit at Nationwide!!!!! :j:j:j:j

I only went overdrawn by a couple of hundred, so if I make sure the end of month account balance is a couple of hundred more, I reckon I'm on my way to not being overdrawn at all anymore!!!!! :j:j:j:j:j

Should be able to sort that this month, which means I can start firing money at credit cards and Mum's loan from January :j:j:j:j:j

(Not including christmas; I don't know the remaining spend left for that yet, how much I can keep out of the current account and on my credit cards, but I'm try to spend as little as possible through cash and as much as possible on the cards)

• ChopinonaBudget
    ChopinonaBudget Posts: 987 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 1:03PM
    Options
    I'm even starting to consider a savings account for yearly spends - I don't think I could put all my yearly stuff away for when I need it (Tax is one I just can't afford, but I'm no longer panicky about it as I can always do what I did this year if push comes to the proverbial) -
    But I can put away (maybe roll them all in gradually as things improve so it's not too much of a shock to my current account at once)

1) School Uniform
    2) Accountant
    3) House Insurance (currently paying ouch% by direct debit so really should sort this one first, maybe chuck it on a credit card, only found that out last week though so haven't got round to doing it yet)
    4) Musical Instrument Insurance
    5) Professional fees (I haven't paid them again this year, I should do)
    6) Piano Tuning
    7) Presents
    8) School equipment (I have a budget for text books and stuff for my daughter, it stops me worrying when she says she needs something)

Think that's it :)

Edit: I've looked at spreadsheet properly, and I actually can afford to put tax money away after all. That came as a bit of a shock, but it's the reason why I've started the savings account for the car; because contrary to what i initially though, I can finally pay all of my bills :eek: it felt quite bizarre realising that, I have to say!

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Just opened up my budget app to stare lovingly at the black figure at the top.... £27.46

Isn't it pretty in black? :)

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Opened a post office savings account yesterday for yearly spends :) I really do finally feel as if I'm getting this under some sort of control :) I reckon it's taken me about 10 months of slowly trying to stabilise everything and waiting for silly contracts to end, and finally getting on the 0% wagon, and I think now it's sort of there; I think I have a bit of stability and a little security.
    So...... New plan....

Open post office account for yearly spends (done)
    Start saving for a car (:T) I'm fed up with costly buses and public transport, and my daughter has GCSEs next year, I really want to be able to pick her up from school of she stays late for revision or goes round a friend's house. Also desperately want to be able to drive her in on days of exams as the morning buses are horrendous and a taxi during rush hour could be extortionate if it hits a problem.
    I've already paid for one taxi back this week so she could stay behind and finish coursework; the buses only go every hour after 5pm, the stop is on a poorly lit country road and without shelter :(
    So.... I've opened a co-op savers account (sort of, it's subject to a credit check, but if I get declined I'll find one that doesn't credit score, like the post office one, so I don't really care :)

I've also really liked putting the groceries on the credit cards whilst I've been shifting debt off the overdraft: my bank account is clean without hundreds of card spends! (I'm better with cards than cash, I fritter cash). So I think I'll carry on putting the grocery shop
    On the 0% cards pay off that amount every month in one go. It seems to make more sense to me!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport