Planning a re-wire

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    note3 wrote: »
    We are having our house rewired and it commences tomorrow. We've mapped where we want everything like plugs, phone sockets, tv and phone but are concerned we will not have enough plugs or will have forgotten things.

The work has all been planned out and now you're thinking of making changes?

Unless it's very simple things like a double socket where you had specified a single socket, your electrician is going to love you!
  • note3
    note3 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Luckily the work so far has been ripping out the previous sockets and so on (very old house with very old wires and some added DIY by previous owner). We'd already discussed significant points so we're just adding in extra sockets in the main at this stage. Electrician seems happy so all good :)
  • note3
    We're getting the USB plugs added, but now your post has made me edgy strider! Eek
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    note3 wrote: »
    We're getting the USB plugs added, but now your post has made me edgy strider! Eek

If they are a good make they should be safe, but I have heard they don't last too long so are a bit pointless.
  • If they're in metal boxes plastered into the wall they're probably safer than plug-in chargers.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • I strongly advise against USB chargers- many mobile companies specify you use approved chargers only, if you don't you can void the warranty

On a personal note- a charger can be unplugged when not needed, you cannot disconnect a built in USB socket.

On a side note - have you checked your electrician is registered (by actually looking up their registration online)?
    baldly going on...
  • note3
    Thanks baldelectrician. I am umming and ahhing about USB sockets. I can go without them but my husband is very excited at the prospect. I am going to do some reading about them before there're put in as I'm a big worrier and these are a new concept to me.

I haven't checked registration, how do I do that please?
  • Depends where the work is to be done.
    See http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/
    as this covers all countries in the UK
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,420
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    On the subject of USB charging ports. A couple of links for you.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100145109/web_usb-article-from-so32.pdf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

Whilst USB is the "current standard", it will be superseded eventually by a different connector.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • note3
    Thanks, will be checking the registration site and USB info tonight. You're all a great help thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure