Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• We purchased a mattress from Mattress man, which was delivered on the 8th March 2017. When delivered it was still wrapped up and extremely heavy. We were told by the delivery drivers that we need to give time for the mattress to 'settle'. The mattress cost £749.

On Sunday 25th June, I noticed there was a hole at the bottom on one side. When I sent an email along with pictures to mattress man, they replied stating ' Looking at the pictures it does look like the mattress has been Bent as well as having a hole in it. This looks like this would have been done on delivery which we would need reported as soon as possible and within reasonable amount of time'.

'Unfortunately the guarantee/ warranty does not cover this damage'.

There said that they could not help us. So my husband contact the Tescos credit card, who advised they can not help as its after 90 days.

Is there anything we can now do? Any help is appreciated
    Thanks Wendy
  • Just wanted to know if you resolved your post as I am now in a similar position.
  • Hi, Michelle. Did you get this sorted as I now have similar problem.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    wendywoo67 wrote: »
    We purchased a mattress from Mattress man, which was delivered on the 8th March 2017. When delivered it was still wrapped up and extremely heavy. We were told by the delivery drivers that we need to give time for the mattress to 'settle'. The mattress cost £749.

On Sunday 25th June, I noticed there was a hole at the bottom on one side. When I sent an email along with pictures to mattress man, they replied stating ' Looking at the pictures it does look like the mattress has been Bent as well as having a hole in it. This looks like this would have been done on delivery which we would need reported as soon as possible and within reasonable amount of time'.

'Unfortunately the guarantee/ warranty does not cover this damage'.

There said that they could not help us. So my husband contact the Tescos credit card, who advised they can not help as its after 90 days.

Is there anything we can now do? Any help is appreciated
    Thanks Wendy
    Tesco Credit Card lied to you. There is no 90 day limit for S75 claims - they are governed by the typical limitations period of several years.

If it has been 8 weeks since they misled you, then contact the Financial Ombudsman Service to say that Tesco said you can't make a Section 75 claim after 90 days.
  • bplp
    bplp Posts: 15 Forumite
    Advice please: My wife and I booked a cruise with Celebrity though Co-op Travel. My wife was diagnosed with cancer. I contacted Celebrity and asked if we could leave it until the last minute before cancelling as the treatment was working and she should be fit to go. Someone phoned me from Celebrity in Florida and told me not to worry as Celebrity cared and if we had to cancel they would fully refund or defer to holiday to later. I then contacted our insurance company (Nationwide), and related our health conditions and they said cancer wouldn't be covered; I obviously wasn't concerned about this because of the verbal promise.
    My wife became ill again and we had to cancel. I emailed Celebrity again explaining what I was promised; no reply. I talked to the Co-op who talked to Celebrity in the US who said there was no-one there who remembers the conversation or promise. I've emailed Celebrity to the same address that inspired the phone call with fairly accurate date and time of the call; copying in Co-op. I had no acknowledgement or reply from either of them so I emailed Thomas Cook who is the parent company and link to Celebrity through Resolver 10 days ago, explaining all this.
    I've not heard from them either.
    Any ideas anyone as to what I do next ... or am I wasting my time as I have no case.

Peter
  • laststraw
    laststraw Posts: 16 Forumite
    I have searched but can not find the answer, everything relates to paying a deposit or even a part of one for a holiday on a CC but my question is am I covered if I have already paid the deposit on debit card ( I know that's not covered) but if I then pay a fraction of the remaining balance on CC will that get me the same protection.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    laststraw wrote: »
    I have searched but can not find the answer, everything relates to paying a deposit or even a part of one for a holiday on a CC but my question is am I covered if I have already paid the deposit on debit card ( I know that's not covered) but if I then pay a fraction of the remaining balance on CC will that get me the same protection.

It does not matter how much and with what else you pay, the main criteria is that the goods must cost between £100 - 30,000.

Any amount, (even 1p), paid on a CC will make the CC supplier equally liable for the FULL amount under S75.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• derrick wrote: »
    It does not matter how much and with what else you pay, the main criteria is that the goods must cost between £100 - 30,000.

Any amount, (even 1p), paid on a CC will make the CC supplier equally liable for the FULL amount under S75.

Thank you,
    When you say "It does not matter how much and with what else you pay"
    I have already paid the deposit - not on a credit card, but now the final balance is due. And I am looking to protect myself by paying part of the balance on credit card.

To be covered does part of the original cost when it was actually purchased have to of been on a credit card or do later instalments give protection just the same even if I did not pay any deposit on the credit card in the first place.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    laststraw wrote: »
    Thank you,
    When you say "It does not matter how much and with what else you pay"
    I have already paid the deposit - not on a credit card, but now the final balance is due. And I am looking to protect myself by paying part of the balance on credit card.

To be covered does part of the original cost when it was actually purchased have to of been on a credit card or do later instalments give protection just the same even if I did not pay any deposit on the credit card in the first place.

ANY part of the purchase paid by CC gives total S75 protection for the WHOLE of the transaction, it makes no difference to the order of payment.

See MSE.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• laststraw
    laststraw Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 10:38AM
    derrick wrote: »
    ANY part of the purchase paid by CC gives total S75 protection for the WHOLE of the transaction, it makes no difference to the order of payment.

See MSE.

Ah - thank you, now I understand.I read the info in the link you provided before I posted but the info only relates to the paying full amount or a deposit or even part of a deposit on a CC and nothing about later instalments if you have already paid a deposit by other means and didn't use a CC in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure