What can I do about this buyer?

Hi everyone,
I recently sold a dress for a low value (around £5 inc p+p) and sent it without any method of tracking because I didn't think it would be worth it...you can guess where this is going, the buyer is saying that she hasn't received it. I also sold quite a few other pieces of clothing that I posted at the same time, which have all arrived. I know this doesn't prove that she has definitely received it but her messages are very suspicious in my opinion!

She first contacted me about 4 days after the listing ending, and has been messaging me persistently since. Her most recent message insists that she's asked the neighbours and the local sorting office and all that, and can she please just have a refund now. She also mentioned that this has "definitely never happened" before - which I don't think anyone would say! Maybe I just have a suspicious mind.

So I know I will probably have to give her a refund now - but I was wondering if there's any way I could report it or go through "official channels" etc to get my fees back and to prevent her from doing this to anyone else?

Thanks everyone.
Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:

Comments

• celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I don't think there is anything you can do.
    If you have not already done so you could leave feedback along the lines of 'item lost in post, full refund given'
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Post goes missing, I think you're being overly suspicious for a £5 dress.
    If you have proof of posting, you can claim back the loss from RM.
  • Mandy44
    Mandy44 Posts: 288 Forumite
    I've known a fair few posties in my time and wouldn't be too quick to assume the buyer's scamming you ;)
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What post service did you use and what length of time are we talking about?
    Have you checked with the buyer that you had the right address?

There's a 'report buyer' button, but I can't see the buyer has done anything wrong. If it's gone past waiting time with Royal Mail then you have to refund and file to mutually cancel to reclaim fees.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As RFW says, cover those points first. You can go onto the RM website and arrange a redelivery yourself. It may help flush an item out.
  • likelyfran
    likelyfran Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2014 at 3:17PM
    Post goes missing, I think you're being overly suspicious for a £5 dress.
    If you have proof of posting, you can claim back the loss from RM.

I agree. OP, you seem to have instantly decided this person is a scammer. Things DO go missing in the post sometimes, you know!
    Look at the buyer's feedback - does she have a lot or a little? Does she sell as well as buy? Any or lots of suspicious f/bs as a buyer?
    Unless her f/b looks generally dodgy, there's no need to assume she's a scammer - best to instantly assume she's truthful and just refund straight away!
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • Mandy44 wrote: »
    I've known a fair few posties in my time and wouldn't be too quick to assume the buyer's scamming you ;)

I'm a postie. Something in your eye!!!!!!
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Make sure they raise a report claim thing for non-received item in eBay and then you agree to refund, this will get your fees back from eBay too.

Then claim from Royal Mail using the form here http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/claims-process-for-inland-items. I sent a print out of the eBay message where they said it was not received and a print out of the ebay aution to show the value. I got a cheque for that value and the post paid to Royal Mail back. Took a while but wasn't difficult. And don't forget to keep a copy of your proof of posting too in case the claim form goes missing!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,188 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jon81uk wrote: »
    Make sure they raise a report claim thing for non-received item in eBay and then you agree to refund, this will get your fees back from eBay too.

Then claim from Royal Mail using the form here http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/claims-process-for-inland-items. I sent a print out of the eBay message where they said it was not received and a print out of the ebay aution to show the value. I got a cheque for that value and the post paid to Royal Mail back. Took a while but wasn't difficult. And don't forget to keep a copy of your proof of posting too in case the claim form goes missing!

Just remember that getting a buyer to open a case now is an immediate defect, and a small seller only needs 5 defects a year (which includes certain low stars etc) before they get suspended.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mandy44
    Mandy44 Posts: 288 Forumite
    I'm a postie. Something in your eye!!!!!!

Always good to get confirmation from the horses mouth ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure