PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Appears & Knave has been trumped!
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    1. Got to @sda at opening time to collect the shopping I left yesterday
    2 Electrician arrived to do a full inspection. He repaired a socket which has never worked and put a nice shiny new enclosed light in the bathroom - it's like Blackpool illuminations in there now!
    3. Egg mayo sandwich for lunch. Love egg mayo
    4. Friend came for tea, she brought me four lovely black pots and two troughs so I now have more planting space. Goodness knows where I'm going to put them but that a minor detail...
    5. Spoke to the utility company, after much to-ing and fro-ing they've at last reduced my dd by £28 a month.

Sweet dreams :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Tealady wrote: »
    McCulloch - I made a trip to N.A over the weekend to my aunts house. I have got to say I was impressed by how clean and neat it was especially all the flower beds and grass verges not at all as I remembered.

Tealady, the majority of flower beds alongside the verges are in the part of town where I live (nice, isn't it?), you would have been welcome to have dropped in for a cuppa! My house lies behind, and facing, the lovely park that overlooks the A167 on the edge of town, but the trees shield us from the road noise. Thinking about it, you probably worked that one out when I was talking about Rushyford the other week, where Frith's mum was born.

The town centre is halfway through a major overhaul, this was sorely, sorely needed. The town has its detractors but I am not among them. We got featured again this evening on the Digby Jones prog on BBC 2 that featured Norfrost setting up here. I have one of the Norfrost freezers and it's brilliant.

Thank you for all of yours, loved the photos - looked at Ampersand's school link and was struck by the differences for the celebrations:

Powhiri, speeches, cake cutting and entertainment

Pukeko Picnic under the Pohutakawa at School
    There was this TG moment from the school's history on the same link:
    In 1931 the Hawke's Bay earthquake badly damaged the school, though no lives were lost because the quake struck during morning tea when pupils were outside.

'Morning tea'. That surely had to be for the teachers and not the children, thank goodness it wasn't raining that day. Simple twists of fate.

1. Goodies to trial and two fascinating books to read. One is a book on mindfulness, I loaned a very good book on this to a friend and like so many others it hasn't returned. The other looks like a Watership Down type book, but based in a beehive. Will keep that for my holiday in early May.

2. Coriander and chives have germinated from my £2 Wilko herb pot. Basil hasn't germinated, I knew those seeds had had it. Two out of three ain't bad.

3. Dr C. edged the path which is now a foot wider. Semi-annual task. He also used the new Am@zon Vine supplied trimmer, promptly reviewed by me.

4. Dr C has also finally painted my bike ramp. I paid the son of a friend of a friend quite a bit of money to paint this and various other things a couple of years ago. He did an awful job on this, and the friendship made complaining tricky.
    At least it wasn't the experience my friend had with a young 'gardener' who ripped out all her plants and left the creeping buttercups....:eek:

5. Things to look forward to - putting together my holiday wardrobe, music, some new recipes to try...

Those absent, you are missed.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yesterday.....

1. Saw my lovely doctor, thank goodness for the NHS!

2. Went to a recruitment talk and decided that the 3 schools touting for NQTs are definitely not for me....so it was good to put that doubt fully to rest.

3. Spent a jolly evening in the library with a chum sorting out our files to be handed in today. I am happy that mine is fabulous, and realised that I'd done a heck of a lot more work than the majority of my group, lots of whom had lent their files to help us fill in any gaps. No wonder they were all relieved not to be in our position!!

4. Yummy leftover lasagne for lunch.

5. Got an email from mummykins before leaving the library to apologise, but my dinner was in my daughter! :) Made a change from the dog.....

6. Met the carpenter at the flat and am excited about the ideas he came up with. Let's hope the price is okay.

7. Finished off another job application, which I need to print out as I'm going to visit the school in an hour's time, before the application deadline. Would love this school, mainly for its location.....
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well it's Friday about to get dark time. It's been a public holiday here today ( just not for me!) so feels more like a weekend day . It's Anzac Day. Most shops do not open until after 1pm. I was at work by 7am and we have been very busy. DD2 worked and earned more money!

Home and then popped out for a coffee with OH...so that felt even more like a Saturday! I chose lemon meringue pie but it was so sickly sweet. Only managed about a third of it but brought it home.

It's a lot cooler Was a chilly 5o at 6.45am. As I drive to work , I approach the top of a hill and have an amazing view of the city in the distance, I love this view and it's only for a brief few seconds before the road dips again. Today there were 6 hot air balloons in the sky. Most beautiful.

Yesterday I took 3 big bags of clothes and stuff over to salvos,
    Met my next door neighbours daughter and had a nice chat with her. Had a nice phone call with friend in Sydney and generally had a nice third day off work.

Made a sausage casserole in the slow cooker for dinner ( but I had chicken and leek pie leftovers) with yummy sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli.

Was all tucked up cosy in my bed at very early o'clock.

Happy Friday :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 April 2014 at 12:48PM
    No excuses, just Easter!
    ampersand - may the comings & goings be peaceful. Understand the "get well away" - now seize chance to see remaining famberly. Chicken in crop tunnel - eek! Awe of musical taste that has a London sol as a roadie & must now find daisies to test if it is Spring yet. Ah, rugby injuries. As long as you can still see &/or move, you play... I love your unstinting, dauntless defence of Frith! "evil, heavy, mercantile" - well, why not use the playing skills you've mastered?! Cry-out pain is wrong. So have another butter coated hot cross bun & go see your medico. "I play every match as if it was the last of my career". why not? Blimey your selling sounds wondrous & successful! (Why are wipers such a swingeing nuisance - glad you had help!) Hurrah for identified lens! I spy beaming shorter folk to the far right of Frith's Quaker blog. Muntjac sized rabbits? "things just not right" a year after surgery - yet you can both see & appreciate bud & leaf - not right maybe relative? If nerve blasting persistently, back to doctor as a life on painkillers is the wrong answer. Exercises? Lobster-hot bath? (careful getting out!) Knowing why solves so much pain. Ignorance *hurts*.
    lovefullshelves - there's a well raised DS! Space in freezer?! Which zombie DVD? Hope you found more pleasure outside! 44 rows of spuds - lass there's digging in your future... DS as planters mate sounds good fun! Today's response to overdoing include a fire, hand sewing & zombies? Fair enough. Happy Birthday! Sounds a happy time - very glad for you! Then catching rats, planting yet more spuds (take it gently!) & feeding a hungry mate. There's virtue. 10 tins of condensed milk? Certainly as an abstract thought a pleasure, or on the shelves, but a little more context?! Ah chips - phew! 4 trays of brassicas - they need to be netted for their protection once out, yes? 28 rows of carrot seed - hoping you had pleasant company!
    Kittikins - chiropodists wonderful even though expensive. When pondering wallet remember your two feet lead to your one spine? K vs essay - rooting for you! Aww - bookshop, fish & chips, long walk, (painkillers), VICTORY over essay! All the very best with blasted application forms & well done listening to how grade 1 piano should sound - so you have a clear target & can hear progress towards! What did you watch? Lindt hunt? yum! All the best with the applications & phew for double entry lapse in financial accounting. You may not need a bed at once - we coped fine with mattresses. The schoolyard as a parent is often a happy place. Spanish language & cuisine - worry not about procrastinating - when you get there, you'll pick up *loads* thanks to Latin! back and happy at school - phew! I don't think you can unconsciously plagiarise an Entire Essay but I'm sure Turnitin is supposed to be a benign umpire. It checks your grammar?! Nothing wrong with sounding intelligent - we stand on the shoulders of giants after all (Newton, letter to Hooke, 1675)! Just try not to let the bibliography run longer than the essay. All best with lesson planning, hurrah tiny local school placement & strewth how many targets in one lesson?! So glad your Uni friends are supporting you in file inspection! Well done deciding not to be a NQT at 3 institutions. "dinner in daughter"?! All the best with today's application!
    sparrer - I've come late to poundshops for gardening gear & am kicking myself! more training of young - splendid! Bronze hare sounds glorious. My hawthorns are still getting on with leaves - no blossom yet so no clouts being cast! Enjoy meal out with DD! "nose fizzing" horseradish - awe! Well done on the me-morning & *wonderful* to get a departing gardener's hardware. It's tough when friends move away, but things keep memories warm. Aw! Hot cross bun express! It never occurred to me you could bake your own dog biscuits til I read MSE. Vegetarian recipes?! (Ears pr!cked !) Filing is tough, but better than Not Filing. Hoping 3 birthdays meet & choc cake as fun as it sounds. What kind of a dent on your windowsills will four pots & 2 troughs make? But what a brilliant trip hazard for might-be burglars.
    mcculloch - music is amazing stuff. Jake Thackray sounds like someone I should listen to - I'm into Flanders & Swann & Brel too! Bless you for gentling sis through the mire of car insurance, helping her manage the flashbacks it triggered & resisting correcting the insurers’ database with a mallet! Can almost taste that turkey! Good to hear spaniels flourishing, and DSon-i-L well exercised. Estonian baking? Kringles for Easter? Lieb? I've not forgotten a birthday made uniquely special by my name in cranberries. Or taking flowers wherever we visited. Morning Tea sounds very civilised! Chives are great fun. I've a small sock of last year’s seed & nowhere to plant it at present!
    DD - sorry for bleuh, but the salmon pasta salad sounds a delectable apology. Square #33?! The glasses sound sensational! Will give YouGov a whirl. Amidst all the writing, at least the grant app is done! The rest all need to be done, but not yesterday. Sneak up on them. Frisbee cheese board, eh? Good breezy days are grand for drying. Wool shop, vodka & the blanket nearing completion - so looking forward to seeing it! Cathedral music is special. Resonant space for a start, but oh those voices. Well done on shortlist place & splendid pretext not to be there! Glad you are happy for dd2 - tough call but better to walk away than be carried. Drenched to save money - well, I supposed a pre-wash & no busfare is good. All the best with DD2 job hunting! "It makes me smile" is a good enough reason for almost everything except homicide. Charged for hot water?! Tidying & finding dogchews - they'll encourage you to do this more often!
    Frith - love how your family works as a whole, even if individual bits need special TLC. All the best for wedding prep! Get your camera out. Land boundaries are to be upheld not trampled on, especially with a proposed sale. Withhold *all* temptation to be nice til the fence & gate are right back as they should be. Smaller son has a winning way with belting one-liners & unexpected acts of virtue! Wedding sounds thoroughly happy & with lots of family. Yorks kin harder to see? Too far across? Cake from cheeses just glorious! The clear up is worth it to hear recycling bottles smash. Lovely pics - and such huge smiles! If three hours on the allotment does not bring healing sleep I will be most surprised. Breaking & entering - heavens! Did you get the Dr.Who duvet cover? Taken fence photos yet? Wrong should be self-evident, esp. gate & flagstones. Well done with distance learning & you never know when having another Clee Hill will be useful. Never had Monopoly? Get a timer! Games should stop after three hours, unless you're going for the all-weekend version... "Spare nasturtium" seeds sound wonderful - I love the plant's approachable, devourable, brightly coloured charm.
    mhagster - gallivanting with muscovy duck & ice cream & buried treasure! (Keep digging - You Never Know!) hwbs checked for structural integrity? You have triumphed over procrastination! Well done DD2 & fend off the onset of heating... While DD2 working & shopping she's powering the economy. A *virtuous* monster. Dead right to value me time! Well done drawing a clear line in the sand over Easter - and getting the insoles into the Uggs! Wooden bunny will be watching in awe as you whisk around him nobbling the to do list! Son's bedroom windows should be left to son. Danger to health & sanity, their rooms. Delighted to think of you with happy plump generous blue punchbowl/tureen, less so at you hauling furniture (son!) but if not painting... Happy ANZAC day!
    CCP - toffee vodka? This a thanks or an attempt at nobbling the opposition?! If you'd like GoT s1-3 (most in .avi but some .mp4) message me & I'll burn some disks, and I think I've several kindle vols too. From your mythological knowledge, to which god is your landlord clearly a worshipper? Avocado sounds glorious! Sorry about the anxiety & dumb courier but a burger in the park sounds good! Getting soaked much less so. The End of Plato is in sight! (Time for an inverse hangman?) Well done you putting restlessness to use. Happy travels!
    supersaver - wholehearted sympathy with bad back but dead right to hang onto paying job as a pleasure even if it isn't much of one. If I hang on in here, teeth gritted, eventually the mortgage will be paid. Well done with hugs, bumblebee, sunshine, restored health & enjoying the life you have! All the best with the application! They darn things do *devour* time. Sunshine & carrot cakes are good, as is a recovering back. Never underestimate family - both pleasure & hassle, but source of so many good moments! Go & hug them? DD beat you to it - excellent! We like Harry R but one of the local chippies is so good it seems daft to travel.
    BoP - them's cracking good pictures. The projection test never occurred to me. Snorker rolls sound blissful! Not to the beach. Allotment?! 7 billion more years, eh? Just how well dressed? Latest Paris catwalk, or just turned out elegant? Love the sound of Raffles leaping & failing, extravagantly! Still trying for toads? When offered Waitrose delices? There is absolutely no accounting for feline taste.
    VJsmum - welcome back, what a stunning pic & you didn't drown MiL! Congratulations all round! Hoping your leg recovers, but I gather the local rouge has medicinal & restorative powers - please advise? Amused by "real mans shop" & intrigued by reviewing which triggers more books!
    VickyA - welcome back & how are you after the mind expanding education? All the best with back-to-school! Risk assessing Cadbury World. Some days it's hell being a teacher, eh?! If you can't shoehorn chocolate into almost all of the curriculum I suspect you aren’t trying. Smarties for fractions, lowest common denominator etc
    Tealady - champagne cocktails? That sounds *loads* of fun, even if it does take a bit of recovering from! Bless you restoring a cute Scottie to his owners & isn't one's own bed such a joy? Court cases can be very painful - well done your DD for choosing to study her way forward.

OS Pleasures this last week...
    What a Maundy! No fire test, but a thank you letter & vouchers and an entire boxed fruitcake! (Expires tomorrow but doubt it'll last that long.) Mildly stunned.

Have somehow committed myself to nålbinding socks. Himself has already made the bone needle, now he has to look out period credible wool...

Read of an archaeologist planning to be interred in a Viking helmet, with basket sword, Kevlar armour & clutching the keys to his Cosworth. Another of his colleagues has said she'll be cremated to avoid this. So I'm drafting two "burials" - as I would be were I to go under a bus & one as I would tinker with it if I could afford the antiques.... Odd pleasure, but realising what delights I already have brings a grin. Techie buried with drop spindle...

"Keep away from the bazooka!" - ah yes, boys scuffling again.

Ah me - several vigorous hours in the green gym followed by sitting in a draft on the floor in the front hall trying to beat the Internet connection back into compliance. It's not a traditional way to celebrate a wedding anniversary.

Easter Communion - delayed by the car (hurrah the AA) but made it in time for Communion! Pink champagne - well, that's different! Rather fun, even if a tad startling at Divine Service.

Apparently the vicar enlivened the service hammering on the door "Let me in!" bearing the Easter Message very personally. Folk took my damp, embarrassed, late arrival entirely in the spirit in which it was intended, bless them.

Watching the pilot of Farscape - happy flashbacks to the first watching!

Converted vouchers into netting for garden - hurrah as mildly bemused by the "high st store" currency that doesn't cover food or fuel. [Then peeved when saw poundshop prices, but Will Know Better another time.]

Serious works in green gym. Son & I have planted beans & hidden them under a green net cloche. Peas delayed as husband a wimp about gardening in the rain. Son's grin a mere nine foot across...

Time spent attempting nålbinding completely lost. Can't get me head, bone needle or wool around this Oslo stitch at all. Still, virtue gained in the attempt. (And crafty colleague has sussed it & will teach me in July!)

In an attempt to not eat the whole pack of biscuits, I didn't check one was left for husband. Sons very happily stuffed with biscuits & all of us in the wrong, ahem.

How magnificently England-At-War: "Conkers for Cordite" - out of context it sounds totally Blackadder, but actual Truth.

"You can buy silence with money for a while. A shot through the heart buys silence forever." GoT realpolitik 101...

Earth Day Google doodle - there's a bird fluttering on my phone! (Which usually refuses to cope with animations!)

Son cooking beside me - wearing his father's panama at a jaunty angle. How to muffle the internal chuckle & protect his young male dignity?

Doing very basic algebra with youngest - which was startlingly enjoyable. I think he has a mathematical bent. (Phew!)

Baffled by how cheap plants wrapped - deeply uncertain poundshop blueberries have a root system. Ah well - give them a month & see what happens.

When the mot juste escapes - "that big twisty nail thing" apparently means "screw". More fluent than other sons, who use "thing" more than I might wish!

Son survived first ever interview (mad dash to find him a not-school tie), has the Work Experience placement & thus got to choose what for supper ("Pizza & Iron Bru!") as his reward.

Driving into work with Whitesnake - "Here I go again" sounding a bit loud for the hour but splendid for the driving!

About to initiate colleague into the delights of the Waitrose coffee machine. I'm a techie, after all.

Have been given my badges to sew onto my Scout uniform in time for the St.Georges's Day Parade. Snappy dresser son has suggested I do his shortly after, as he's flagbearer. (!)

Big hugs to all who need them, we survived Easter (as did families, cats, in-laws etc) & is it time to get serious saving for Christmas yet?
  • Let’s get ready to Fumble

Fryday, and that means more fish than you can sling your hook for.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Five Four Three two One. Was that a bopping programme on the ogle box some years back.

4 Was out last nite gathering some location shots for later. But, as always got a belter. Need to has a look peep see and maybe get it out later.

3 Last games of football tomorrow, have to move onto the cricket shortly. Increase the portfolio.

2 Nows I no know weather to play Scrabble with BoPsie this evening. She has won quite a few recently, and I cannot see my winning streak returning.

1 Bit short I nose, but bin buzzzy!
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    DfV - love your comments :) Just had to google nålbinding , wow! I want some too..... :)
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    DfV - as a near archaeologist many years ago, I always wanted to be buried with strange things in my pocket - perhaps a Roman coin, then something Victorian then something very modern. Just to confuse future archaeologists!

Pleasures for today before sons come home:

1) One last, massive lie in!

2) Wearing new (to me) dress.

3) Went to nearby nursery that has an open day each year where you pay a £ for tea and cake and it goes to the church. Dad, brother and sister went and bought a few plants.

4) Simnel cake at dad's.

5) Particulars about our holiday came in the post. :-)

6) Lots of posting on FB of wedding pictures and I can see other people's pics now too.

7) Sons coming back soon.

8) Going swimming when they are home.

9) Fire going nicely as it is so cold and damp today.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good evening everyone :hello:

DigForVictory - mind expanding??? Amsterdam was definitely interesting in places. Made my hair stand on end that it was all perfectly true. :eek:

I've been asked by the Headteacher to lead a redesign of the school's website. If anyone wishes to share their child's school website (or one in the area), then please PM me. Luckily, our website provider is great but I need ideas about what to include on the pretty pictures on the main landing page.

So, my pleasures for the last couple of days:

1) DH had "Fat Friday" today. On the last Friday of the month, his boss buys the team a pizza each from a local pizza place. DH brought home the "spare" pizza and I re-heated it. Now feeling VERY fat and VERY full, despite only eating half of it.

2) Cadbury World risk assessment tomorrow. My class have almost been whipped up into fever pitch at the suggestion that I'm going tomorrow. DH is coming with me and we're seeing his twin sister, who lives close to CW, tomorrow night. Well, she lives in Birmingham so that's a great deal closer than we are to her now!!

3) Loooong list of things to do is reducing slowly in size.

4) Towels washed! Makes me feel as though the battle is won when it's the towel load. Simple things, eh? ;)

5) Trying to sort out a new load of healthy meal plans! Hmmmm, must shy away from pizzas brought home by DH...

6) Persuading a friend to visit my school's federated school which has a vacancy which I think she'd be interested in. It would be great to work with her again.

Right, need to crack on with these websites and planning!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure