Amazon Subscribe and Save scam!

Options
Not sure if this is the best place to put this as in my opinion this is quite a big deal and the more people on the look out the better.

Problem: you chose an item on subscribe and save 1st, 2nd and 3rd deliveries all ok, Just before the 4th delivery you get an email informing you that the price has increased by approx 20% (in my experience)

I think this is a deliberate tactic by Amazon to catch out buyers who slip into the 'i dont need to worry' frame of mind. Now this has happened 4 times to me over the past year and a half three being with dog food and once with razor blades. As the dog food was common i checked the price history of other dog food and noticed that they had not increased by 20% over the same period.

I contacted amazon three months ago and they said that it was a pricing error and then proceeded to deliver my next three dog food orders at the same price, then low and behold i get the same email saying that the price has increased. I have now contacted BBCs watchdog about this and am notifying everyone i can to be vigilant and on the look out for this trend.

Hopefully i am seeing things that aren't there but after so many times and always after the third delivery (regardless of how many months have passed) the price increases.

Please check your subscriptions if you do use it.

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've personally found Amazon to be very clear that the price on subscriptions isn't fixed; and that what you pay for delivery number one may not be the same as delivery number two.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No scam here, just OP not reading the T&C's properly. Watchdog aren't going to care one iota about this XD
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that what the OP is suggesting is that Amazon will, once they have hooked you up onto 'subscribe and save', later jack up the price of the product in the hope that you won't notice. Irrespective of whether or not this particular (alleged) practice meets anyone's particular personal defintion of the word 'scam', it seems to me a perfectly valid point worth raising on a money saving website.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they're emailing you to tell you the new price they're hardly hoping you won't notice the increase.
  • juliean
    Options
    Oh, my god. I never pay attention to that. Hope you can find some ways to solve it.
  • wookie_2
    wookie_2 Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    This is common practice for any business, suck you in with a tempting price and when your hooked, up the price..... Personally I always cancel the subscribe and save when the items have arrived as they always seem to up the price.....
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How does it work though? Does the price go up for everyone, or just for you? Are you paying a different, increased price to every other Amazon user? -easy to check, just use another browser.

If you are not paying a special, higher price than everyone else, then you are being paranoid. Amazon price increases do not revolve around your particular buying habits.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had them go the other way, the hair styling product I have on subscribe and save has come down in price recently.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amazon prices fluctuate wildly anyway. I have cat food on s&s, if price is high then I check mysupermarket.com to see if there are any offers on at the supermarkets. Then I put my amazon order back a month if need be. No sweat.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • vauxhall1
    vauxhall1 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I order from Amazon allot and can't say I've ever had an email informing me of this, but I will keep an eye out for this in the future, thanks for the heads up though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure