PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• Chocolate Brownies

175 g (6ozs) butter/margarine
    350 g (12ozs) caster sugar
    1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
    3 eggs
    100 g (4ozs) plain flour
    1 level teaspoon of baking powder
    75 g (3ozs) cocoa
    choc chips

Melt spread in a large bowl then add sugar and vanilla essence
    Break eggs into a small bowl and beat them. Add them to the large bowl a little at a time and beat in well.
    Sift flour into the bowl and add baking powder and cocoa. Stir so that it is mixed well.
    Add choc chips.
    Pour mixture into the cake tin and smooth with the back of a spoon.
    Bake for 40 minutes ! 180 c/ 350 f/ gas mark 4

They will be ready when they have risen and have formed a crust on top, but still sticky/soft in the middle.

EAT THEM ALL UP!!! Yum yum! :T
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • Chocolate Courgette cake

120g butter (softened)
    125ml sunflower oil
    100g caster sugar
    200g soft brown sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    130ml milk
    350g plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    4 tbsp cocoa
    450g courgettes, peeled and grated finely
    1 tsp vanilla

1. Line a 20 x 35cm baking tray with baking paper and set the oven to 190ºC/350ºF.

2. Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.

3. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in grated and peeled courgettes, vanilla and spoon into tin. Bake for 35 -45 minutes.
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • This is the recipe I promised that my DS cooked for us the other night, under my supervision of course ;)

Sausage Hotpot

6-8 sausages (I used sweet chilli pork ones for this recipe but any will do)
    1 onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    3-4 carrots, sliced/chopped
    8-10 new potatoes, sliced (can also use old ones and slice/dice them)
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    approx 1/2 pt boiling water
    tin condensed tomato soup
    2 sm tins of beans (cannelini, flagelot, borlotti etc, or a mix)
    few drops Tabasco sauce
    S & P to taste

Using a large, deep frying pan brown off the sausages for 5 mins or so in a little oil then set to one side. Add onions, garlic, carrot and potato to pan and fry in oil/juices left behind for about 5 mins. Sprinkle over the paprika and stir to soak up the juices then add some of the boiling water, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add the condensed soup and the rest of the water and bring up to boil then simmer. Slice each sausage into 3-4 chunks, depending how big they are, and put back in pan along with the beans and tabasco sauce, and season to taste. Put a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for around 30 mins or until everything is cooked through!

This could just as easily be made in the slowcooker which I would have done if things had gone according to plan LOL! ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• So easy to make you can let your kids do it at the weekend to keep them amused!!

Fifteens

1 can condensed milk
    15 digestive biscuits
    15 cherries
    15 marshmallows
    some coconut

Crush digestive biscuits and add chopped cherries and chopped marshmallows. Stir in condensed milk until the mixture will hardly move!

In a piece of greaseproof paper sprinkle some coconut, lay out the mix in a line on top of the cocnut. Sprinkle more cocnut on top. Roll up like a sausage inside the greasproof and seal the ends. ( I roll tinfoil round mine) Place in fridge for 2 - 3 hours until firm. Unwrap and cut into slices.

Eat and enjoy!!

Or alternatively, be like me and just eat the condensed milk out of the tin :D
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622
    First Post
    Forumite
    Stick 120g/4oz mushrooms in a processor and whizz. Mix with 50g/2oz wholemeal breadcrumbs and the same amount of ground almonds, 10ml/2tsp stock powder and 5ml 1tsp mixed herbs. Add one beaten egg to bind it all together and mix.

Divide into as many burgers as you want (depends how big you want them really!) and shape into burgers. Coat them with flour.

Heat 0.5cm/1/4inch oil in a frying pan and fry burgers for about 5 mins on each side til golden brown (although I think they take longer than that). Serve in buns with relish, or lettuce and tomato, or whatever you like your burgers in :)

Note - I've tried just chopping the mushrooms finely and it doesn't work :o
    Also, I don't bother with the stock powder - just add salt and pepper.

YUM.
  • An easy recipe to use up evaporated milk which in my opinion tastes divine.

Gypsy Tart

Shortcrust Pastry made with 240g flour, 175g butter and 4tbsp water rolled out to line a 25cm flan ring. Bake blind for 15-20mins at 200C/400F/Gas 6 leave to cool.

Filling
    400g tin evaporated milk
    350g Dark Muscavado Sugar

Whisk the evaporated milk and sugar for 10 mins until light and fluffy. The mix should be coffee coloured. Pour mix into pastry case and bake in the oven for 10mins until set. Leave to cool.

Don't be tempted to under whisk- as it will not set properly and you will just have a runny mess.
  • This is quick, cheap and easy to make but as I throw it together I have no measurements. Oh and if you're on a diet or healthy eating plan forget it!

500g Pack of Pasta (shells or tubes work best)
    ½ block of Stork Block Margarine
    tube of tomato puree
    garlic cloves to your taste
    oregano and basil (lots)

Cook pasta as normal. As its draining melt the butter in the pan, add the rest of the ingredients mixing up well. When all mixed up add the pasta back to the pan, cover with the lid then holding the lid on tightly shake the pan until pasta is coated with the mixture. It's absolutely gorgeous - or at least we all love it!

Lotta
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    This is a really nice fruit loaf, it's delicious straight from the oven with ice cream, or a few days later, sliced and toasted with some butter.

And it's so simple!

4 Weetabix
    8oz SR Flour
    6oz Sugar
    6oz Currants/Sultanas/Peel/Glace Cherries (whatever really)
    8floz Milk

Crush weetabix in your fists into a bowl, add all dry ingredients. Mix in milk in a few steps. Bung in a greased loaf tin in a lowish oven (mark 4 / 170C).

To test if cooked prod with a knife. If the knife comes out clean then it's cooked!

Ta-da!

VVVVVV I'm not sure, about 30 mins i think it was, basically until it's done ;)
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    How long in the oven for the weetabix loaf? I used to make something similar years ago with All Bran...

1 Mug of Allbran
    1 Mug of Milk
    1 Mug of SR flour
    1 Mug of Soft Brown Sugar
    1 Mug of Sultanas

Soak the Allbran in the milk until it goes mushy....add the rest of the ingredients to make a mush....pour in the tin....cook!

Unfortunately I've forgotten at what temp and for how long

Edit: try gas mark 4 (180C) for around thirty minutes but test with a skewer or knife. When it comes out clean the cake is done.
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup SR flour
    3 eggs
    1 cup grated cheese
    chopped bacon or ham
    any grated veg you have - carrot, zucchini,chopped mushrooms,etc
    1 onion chopped
    1/2 can of drained corn niblets.

Mix all together and bake in moderate oven 3/4 hour or until brown on top.

I put anything or as little in this depending on what I've got in the fridge. Makes it's own pastry.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure