PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    errrrm I seem to have invented 'Tuna Mash'

I was making fishcakes but put slightly too much milk into the potatoes and they were too runny for the fishcakes so....

I mixed tuna, sweetcorn, mashed potatoes together. I added the leftover hm cheese sauce that I had from the cauliflower cheese that I was making at the same time and then added some hm breadcrumbs to give it a bit more texture and firm it up a bit.

It was YUMMY! real winter comfort food.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • powie69
    powie69 Posts: 297 Forumite
    You can make Clotted Cream in the following way;

Pour 600ml double cream into a heavy-based pan. Heat gently until cream thickens, 25-30 minutes. Chill the cream until it has set and a crust forms on the surface. Remove the crust of the clotted cream with a large metal spoon. Reserve the cream and discard the liquid left underneath.
    A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.:D
  • Bellie_2
    Bellie_2 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Ingredients:
    2 Carrots
    2 Baking Potatoes
    1 Onion
    1 Leek
    Half a Turnip
    3 Veg Stock Cubes

All you do is grate all the veg into a big pan, make up the stock as shown on the packet (i use knor for conveniance). Bring to the boil and then simmer till all the veg is soft. Add some salt and pepper to season. Yummy! I freeze this and eat it about 5 times a week for lunch or dinner as I never tire of it.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 086
    Proud to be dealing with my debts !
    Total Debt: Was £6368.84 :eek: now £945.36
    Sealed Pot Challenge 049 Aim £500
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1 carton yoghurt
    1 1/2 cartons sugar
    1 carton vegetable oil
    1 carton self raising flour
    3 eggs

Mix all ingredients together really well. pour into lined cake tin and bake at 180oc - 190oc for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

The yoghurt tub is an easy way to measure for this cake. what ever size or tub you use is tha standard for ALL the ingredients. If using a large tube, you may need to add an extra egg.

I make this regularly after reading the recipe on another forum however I use 3 pots full of flour. :confused: Its always delicilous. I wondered if this is a typo.

'It's REALLY easy, no scales are needed (you use the empty yoghurt carton to measure out ingredients), and it tastes great! You can use any type/flavour of yoghurt, so the cake is different each time

1 carton (approx 150g) yoghurt
    2 cartons caster sugar
    3 cartons self raising flour
    1 carton sunflower oil
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method

Beat all the ingredients together with an electric whisk until smooth. Line a loaf tin, pour in and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 160 oc, gas mark 3 for 1 1/2 hours. Adjust for fan assisted oven to 150 oc for about an hour.'
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This salad has a beautiful fresh taste and is remarkably filling and pretty nutritious. I have no idea why but it never fails to lift my mood whe I eat it, hence the name.

2 generous portions or as a side salad for 4

2 large handfuls lambs lettuce (or green leaves of your choice)
    2 inches cucumber, cubed
    2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
    1 avocado, peeled and chopped
    1 apple, cored and chopped
    1 small tin of crisp sweetcorn

mix, dress with lemon juice and toss with dry-toasted sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Grilled Maple Lavender Duck Salad

Duck
    1 Duck breast (1/2 to 3/4 Lb)
    2 Tbsp Tamari sauce
    1 Tbsp Sweet Lavender (Maple syrup infused with Lavender)

Salad
    1 bag mixed baby salad leaves
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 tsp herbes de Provence
    1/4 tsp dried lavender (optional)
    1 tsp Sweet Lavender
    3 tbsp Olive oil
    1 Tbsp creme fraiche
    salt + pepper

To make Duck Cracklings
    Remove skin from duck breast and cut THE SKIN into medium dice.
    Place in small, deep saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
    Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crispy.
    Remove crispy skin from duck fat and drain on paper towels.

Duck Breast
    Pre-heat grill on medium setting
    Mix tamari and sweet lavender in a small bowl.
    Place the skinned breast on the grill and baste with the tamari/lavender mixture.
    Turn every 2 mins or so, baste each time until breast is springy ( 7-10 mins). Do not overcook, breast should be pink.
    Remove from grill and allow to rest.

Salad
    Mix vinegar, herbs and sweet lavender with a whisk.
    Slowly drizzle in olive oil until an emulsion forms.
    Add creme fraiche and season with salt and pepper.
    Add washed and dried salad leaves on top of dressing and toss well
    Sprinkle crackling over the top and toss again.
    Slice duck breasts across the grain and serve with salad.

(Moosewood Hollow in the Vermont do infused maple syrups, sometimes available in the UK but expensive)

Make your own by gently heating maple syrup with sprigs of lavender in it until it reaches a light simmer. Leave to stand for at least 1 hour. Strain and use
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • cheepskate_2
    cheepskate_2 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For this i use the leftover chicken from a whole chickky, as we only use the breast in meals.

pk super noodles (cheap 7p version from asda)
    chicken
    chicken stock cubes

simple really cook noodles + sachet powder + few stock cubes (adjust to own likning ) in large pot filled with water add chicken and hey presto nice chicken noodle soup , without the grease.
    Alternativly cook some chicken portions in the water for a more authentic greasy taste
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    for those who missed it in the alcohol in cooking thread , thought i'd share my current favourite casserole recipe with you all :D

highland casserole recipe

450g braising steak, trimmed and cubed
    2 onions, peeled and diced
    1 carrot, peeled and diced
    1 turnip, peeled and diced
    50g pearl barley
    1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    450ml stock
    2 bay leaves
    salt and pepper

heat oil in pan and brown the meat (at the fron tof the book it recommends dipping the meat in flour before frying to help thinken the gravy later on ). lower heat, add the vegetables and cook for about 3 mins. transfer to a casserole and add remaining ingedients. cover and cook for 1 and a half hours @ 180C / 350f/ gas 4

taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. remove the bay leaves, garnish with parsley and serve.

its a recipe from MIL2Bs St Michael (marks and spencer's) "casserole cooking" book by Myra Street. there are some really nice recipes in it, worth a look if you can find a copy.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • mostwantd
    mostwantd Posts: 367 Forumite
    Kulfi is a the famous Indian style icecream that gets its special texture from the small bits of milk-skin, from boiling the milk in an open wok, until it is condensed.

INGREDIENTS -
    • 400 gm. fresh mango pulp or a tin of mango pulp
    • 400 gm. un-sweetened condensed milk
    • Sugar to taste, if using fresh pulp. Tinned mango pulp is very sweet and does not need extra sugar.
    • 250 ml. carton of double cream or whisking cream
    • 1 egg white beaten until stiff

METHOD -
    1. Whisk egg white until it stands in peaks. Keep aside.
    2. Whisk everything else together with an electric beater.
    3. Fold in egg white.
    4. Freeze in an icecream maker or in a plastic tub in your freezer.
    5. Take out of the freezer for 10 minutes before serving. This will soften it up.

This is real yummy to ideal for summer

mango and passion fruit kulfi

Ingredients
    To serve
    1 ripe but firm mango
    4 passion-fruit

1 tbsp cornflour
    600ml evaporated milk
    175g caster sugar
    1 mango
    1 pinch cardamom powder
    150ml single cream

Method

1. Mix the cornflour with one tablespoon of cold water and set to one side.

2. Quickly bring the evaporated milk to the boil in a non-stick saucepan. Add the cornflour mixture and simmer for 2 minutes until it is the consistency of pouring custard. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then transfer to a bowl and leave to go cold.

3. Peel the mango and slice the flesh away from the stone. Place in a food processor and blend to a smooth purée.

4. Stir the mango purée, ground cardamom and cream into the custard, and then press the mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl.

5. Now you can either churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker or pour it into a plastic container, cover with a lid and freeze until firm but not rock solid. This will take about two hours. If using the latter method, after the two hours, transfer the ice-cream to a food processor and blend until smooth, then freeze for another hour. Repeat this process twice more, and then spoon it into six tall, freezer proof moulds – clean, small yoghurt pots are ideal. Freeze for at least 8 hours, or until firm.

6. To serve, peel the second mango and slice the flesh away from the stone. Halve the passion fruit and scoop out the pulp with a teaspoon. Cut the mango flesh into small, neat pieces and mix with the passion-fruit pulp.

7. Remove the kulfi containers from the freezer, and leave them at room temperature for five minutes, then turn them out onto serving plates. Spoon some of the mango and passion fruit salsa alongside and serve straight away.

:T :T :T
    тнє ѕє¢яєт тσ ¢яєαтινιту ιѕ кησωιηg нσω тσ нι∂є уσυя ѕσυя¢єѕ
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chicken parcels (serves 8 small or 6 large)

Ingredients
    Packet of puff pastry
    Chicken (I usually use 2/3 chicken breasts but can be done with any chicken tbh)
    1 large Onion
    2 Carrots
    "dollop" of butter or marge
    1 chicken stock cube - or stock from cooked chicken from above)
    1 tbsp plain flour
    Salt and pepper
    1 egg

Cook chicken in the oven - if you want to use the stock then reserve this after cooking for later. Chop into small cubes.
    Chop the onions and carrots finely - you can also add other veg here anything that needs using in the kitchen - leeks, mushrooms etc.
    Sweat the onions and carrots (or any other veg used) in a pan in the butter - make sure you use the lid. - should take 2-3 mins.
    Add a tbsp of flour and mix around into the veg.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Now add around 3/4 pint (dependent on how much veg you added) of chicken stock.
    Bring to the boil - now add the chicken pieces and reduce to a simmer.
    Start to roll out the puff pastry - when rolled cut into 6/8 pieces (depending on how many you require)
    Remove the mixture from the heat
    Add the mixture onto the puff pastry and make into a parcel shape.
    Brush the top with a beaten egg then place in the oven - around GM 5/6 electric 180 for around 20mins.
    I either serve with home made oven chips or mash.

These go like hotcakes at home and neighbours always ask me to make these for them as they are so tasty!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport