Virgin Media Complete joke High utilisation Need help!

Hi,

I pay for 50MB and during peak times 5pm-12am every single day im lucky to get 1-2MB

Ive called virgin media countless times asking for them to resolve the issue back in october i was told it would be resolved in december, In december told it would be resolved in march & in march told August 16

Ive called up and asked to cancel but been told i will be charged £220 to leave. i have had my bill reduced slightly but even if it was free I still wouldnt want it. Its a complete joke. I must have rang them over 20 times relating to this issue, ive been told time and time again different stories and got through to their IT guys who are useless. Its a High utilisation problem 100%

Had the useless tech guys call me up and run pointless tests to try and fob me off basically i got through to cancelations multiple times and he keeps telling me as ive still got service they wont let me cancel. Im at my wits end as its completely and ultimately useless.

Im in contract until september i only have broadband and phone from them.
In my job i sometimes have to be on call in the evening (i work in IT) and if i have no internet connection i cannot work.

Any advice would be appreciated as my end goal is to bin off virgin altogether and go for normal bt fibre. im close to just having it installed along-side. But i dont know what i can do. Tried twitter also and emailing them

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    May i ask which area are you in?

I am currently consider virgin vs plusnet vs bt...
  • Spookieuk
    Spookieuk Posts: 55 Forumite
    jb66 wrote: »
    If you email the CEO office they should be able to release you from you contract

This seems like the best approach. If you've asked this many times so far and they still haven't released you then you're going to have to go to the top.
  • daleski75
    daleski75 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Wait for them to increase their prices and leave penalty free which is what I did as my area 31 also had the same problem with speeds falling from 150mbit down to 5mbit in the evenings.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    daleski75 wrote: »
    Wait for them to increase their prices and leave penalty free which is what I did as my area 31 also had the same problem with speeds falling from 150mbit down to 5mbit in the evenings.
    Just make sure that after you've spent an hour going through the rigmarole of cancelling, that they actually log it to your account. They didn't for me, and then charged me fees for leaving without notifying them when my phone number was ported away. It took another four hours of phone calls to get them to comprehend what had gone wrong, and then refund the fees I'd been wrongly charged...
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I had issues with Virgin Media I just emailed the CEO direct. Our problems were sorted out within days. Its worth a try. x

[EMAIL="tom.mockridge@virginmedia.co.uk"]tom.mockridge@virginmedia.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    I'll be interested to see if that email survives intact. Whenever I've posted a CEO email address or even the most obvious website url to find them the posts or info have been deleted. I have no idea why other than the rule about not posting persoinal email addresses.

I can confirm that the VM CEO office is a pretty good resource which I used a couple of times when I had the misfortune of using them for broadband.
  • Dom29
    Dom29 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Hi all , i emailed the CEO . got a rep calling me the next day saying he was from the complaints team. he refused to cancel without me paying a £130 cancellation fee. And he then told me the best he could do was offer me 100mb broadband for an extra £10 PM , which would lock me in for another 12 month ? complete joke! he had no idea what he was talking about as i know for a fact i could have a 500MB internet connection and it would still be the same during peak times. Hit a bit of a brick wall really.. Tempted to just go with plusnet and let this one die out.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dom29 wrote: »
    Hi all , i emailed the CEO . got a rep calling me the next day saying he was from the complaints team. he refused to cancel without me paying a £130 cancellation fee. And he then told me the best he could do was offer me 100mb broadband for an extra £10 PM , which would lock me in for another 12 month ? complete joke! he had no idea what he was talking about as i know for a fact i could have a 500MB internet connection and it would still be the same during peak times. Hit a bit of a brick wall really.. Tempted to just go with plusnet and let this one die out.

Tried the ombudsman?
  • W1zz
    W1zz Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May 2016 at 9:14AM
    I'm in exactly the same boat - 'utilization issues in my area'.

This has been ongoing / noticeable to me since March. When I first reported it I was credited and given a fix date for end of March. The support guy even said the issue in my area had been ongoing since before Christmas.

End of March, still no better. More credit, new fix date 4 May 2016.

4 May - Still no better. New fix date '13 July 2016' :mad: and credited again.

Been with Telewest / Blueyonder / Virgin Media since 2003 and speeds at times are worse than when I first joined on a 512MB package. I'm suppose to be on 100mb.

During non-busy periods I get decent speeds. Non busy periods being when I'm either asleep or at work.

From 7-8pm onwards in the evening it's unusable. The other day I got 0.16mb download :rotfl:

I'm paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Xbox Live and other streaming services, so simply refunding my BB payments isn't helping matters.

What makes it laughable is the amount of 'super fast boadband' adverts they're seem to be pushing at me. I'm due a speed boost from 100mb to 150mb by end of June. Can't see that happening. I'd gladly take a decrease and get a reliable 50mb at the moment.

IMG_4437.pngIMG_4438.png
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    If you get the same sort of speed variation and reduction on a wired connection then it certainly points to heavy congestion caused by VM having far too many customers on the same channel group. It's a common issue and one of the reasons I left then vowing never to return.

Cable technology can offer high headline speeds but not multiple users making constant use of those speeds. Just a few running torrents 24x7 and escaping the traffic management (VPNs maybe) will absolutely trash an area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure