PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

1105810591060106110621064»

Comments

• 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    I just had to sit for a while and catch up with all your news.....bless you all. We are all struggling one way or another. I was watching the CNN news earlier and some of the poor people were in tears having lost everything and saying they were not getting any help yet...not even a bottle of water or a change of clothes.I feel so sorry for them all.

The storms finished here last night, a few hours earlier than they said they would . Today was absolutely beautiful, sunny and 26 degrees again . At this rate we may well make it to the end of November without having to light the fire. Got the wood delivered and stacked it just before the storms started, so today we went to buy dry sticks to store to light it with. We also found a special strip of material that says you need no sticks to light hard wood (olive wood in our case)..so going to give them a try when we light the fire.They were only 50 cents for a box of six so if they work okay they are a lot cheaper than the firelighters here , which are rubbish!

Helped out at the gym this morning and did my own workout as well...not a hard one as I am still aching from shifting the ton of wood the other day. The workmen were in next door to the gym so the electric was on and off four times....still, the members didn't seem too bothered and it was unusually peaceful with no music on. I quite liked it! I took a nice prawn salad with me (green salad) and it was lovely along with a big mug of tea.
    Picked up some new drinking tumblers at the same shop as the firelighter things and some thin rubber gloves. I have a sore patch on my thumb which I think is down to constantly having my hands in and out of water during the day. I just get it sorted then it gets sore again. I think it might be linked to my celiac disease as I get a blister type rash if I get any gluten accidentally.
    Going out for a nice Chinese meal for a treat tomorrow night. It's a bit dearer than the take aways but they are very careful about the gluten for me and that makes a big difference to me enjoying myself. We are going to the karaoke at a little bar afterwards to have a sing song and a laugh with friends.

Things are looking bad here politically and next week is going to be a crunch time for Greece. The vote about the austerity and cuts is at midnight on 12th November but I don't think anything is going to bring us good news. I just think they are waiting till after the American elections to break the bad news to us all!

Have a great weekend friends , going to enjoy the lovely sunshine we have forecast for us for the whole weekend. Great joy XXXXXX
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    For anyone who has missed it, this is our new toughies thread:
    'Supporting each other through really tough times'
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just sent a pm to zippychick asking if she can lock this one :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family