Money Moral Dilemma: What should Baby do about Johnny's stalk?

1234568»

Comments

• suzetim
    suzetim Posts: 11 Forumite
    I always remove the stalks if I can, why pay for what you can't or don't eat.
    I even sometimes ask if I can the left over stalksa and bits for my rabbit, and they usually let me have for free, it only goes in the bin!
    Why not I say, he's not stealing anything.
    Suzanne
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ^find your post very contradictory
    you say you wont pay for the stalk as you cant eat it but are happy to take it for free to feed your rabbit?
    why not just pay for it eat what you want and give the rest to the rabbit

really dont see the difference between taking the stalks off and taking the bones out of a chicken
    it is how the product comes, no one has a right to damage a product before paying for it, if you dont like it buy the pre chopped/destalked variety if its more expensive tough
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • But what about when buying pineapples? The only way to check a pineapple is fresh is to pull out a leaf and check it comes out easily (it even says to do this on the label of the pineapple) so am I wrong to pull the leaf out? What's the difference between pulling out the leaf of a pineapple to check it is fresh when I'm clearly not going to buy the discarded leaf and discarding a bit of broccoli I'm not going to eat either?
  • The difference is that the shop encourage you to pull out a leaf to see if it's fresh, not to chop it up and only take the inside. Plus you can't eat pineapple leaves, as far as I'm aware...
  • Bloke
    Bloke Posts: 192 Forumite
    Also I've never seen a pineapple sold by weight so taking a leaf out to check its freshness neither impacts the cost for the supermarket or the consumer.
  • If you don't want to buy the prodct AS IS, you DO NOT have the right to break it.
    The price of the broccoli is worked out stalk included! If you think it's too expensive, then do not buy it!!
    You wouldn't do the same with a whole chicken would you?
  • zippy99
    zippy99 Posts: 32 Forumite
    suzetim wrote: »
    I always remove the stalks if I can, why pay for what you can't or don't eat.
    I even sometimes ask if I can the left over stalksa and bits for my rabbit, and they usually let me have for free, it only goes in the bin!
    Why not I say, he's not stealing anything.
    Suzanne

Wow!

Where does the logic come from here - it is ok to break off the stalks if you don't eat ithem - but then you have the sheer cheek to go back and request the leftover stalks for free!! for your rabbit.

Thats like people who remove buttons etc from clothes in shops and expect to buy them at a discount - only to sew them back on again later (mind you probably given you a new idea now!

Wrong wrong wrong in my opinion!
  • Marru
    Marru Posts: 4,126 Forumite
    What do you mean not using the stalk. I slice it and cook it with the florets and it is delicious. Except now I have to fight with my dog and guinea pigs for it as they would like to eat the stalk so doesn't always end up in my sauce pan. Broccoli is expensive as it is, lets not make it even worse by being picky. If you don't like the stalk then go for some other veg or find a guinea pig friend close to you to help you out.
    "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure