Best cheap cat litter?

Comments

• shjo558 wrote: »
    I use the woodbased pellet litter from Pets @ home for my house rabbit and 2 kittens.

Just bought some the other day and it was £ 9.99 for a HUGE bag. I'm sure it's normally £8.99 but they had a buy 2 for £18 offer on so I suspect they've put the price up Tesco style:mad:.

I've already sent a complaint to PAH about this. The bags went up from £8.49 to £8.99 while there was a 2 for £16 offer on.

Then they went up again (under same offer) to £9.29. I went in last week and suddenly they've jumped to £9.99 (under a £2 for £18 offer). Do they really think people are so stupid they won't notice!:mad:

I've stopped getting it - after complaining (yup, another one!) about the quality as a bag used to do me over 3 weeks and it was only lasting 2 weeks, they admitted they've changed supplier and have been "inundated" with complaints.

I've been getting As*da's (10 litres for £2.81) and it's fine and now cheaper than PAH! (Looked in Te*sco today and theirs is up to £3.79 for 10 litres - how they can say they're good value .......)

Have you got a Home Bar*gains near you? They do wood litter - 5 litres for £1.29 - wee bags but works out at less than £7.50 for 30 litres and is pretty good quality.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • With 4 cats (daughter took 2), 1 bag lasts me good 2 weeks and that is between 3 trays. So with one cat should last well over a month.

Chloe?

Hoping things have settled down and everyone's getting on OK.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • puppy999
    puppy999 Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well at the min I hav no money I lov catsan but cant afford it I hav 3 indoor cats and I use tidy bins not cat trays and I buy shavings for my horse so having to use them at the mo but I keep there trays in the bathroom and every time they poo I pop it down the loo a bag is £7 and last 6/8wks but you hav to change it every other day lol
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Chloe?

Hoping things have settled down and everyone's getting on OK.

Nope, Chloe still with me - mostly under the bed, comes out in the evenings.

My daughter took Phoebe (black and white) and Fiona (silver tabby) as those 2 never liked going out at all and my daughter's new flat has no access to a garden of any sort so Phoebe and Fiona will be ok there - the rest of cats like to go out and here they can, nice large communal garden and kids fussing over them.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    About PAH wood based one - I was using it for ages but some time ago the "granules" have changed, they are somehow darker and they do stink of cat wee pretty soon, had to change completely every single day and wash the trays. Gave up on it.

The Grey Master I have linked up in the earlier post - excellent litter.

NOw I have all 6 cats at home (daughter off for holiday for a bit) so will see homu long will it lasts me - put 2 brand new bags into my 3 massive litters only yesterday. Although 4 cats go out - they only pee/poo at home. Weird but as soon as I bring them in - off they go toilet..... Sometimes they cry outside the window, I go down to get them - they come in, pee/poo and cry to be let out again. At least I do nto have people complaining about my cats messing up their gardens so this is a good thing.
  • I never realised just how many cat litter options are out there!?

I'm gonna re read this thread with a pen and paper to hand! We use Pets at Home wood pellet cat litter only because the lady we got the kittens from recommended it. We don't top up either?! We pick up solids and completely empty every other day.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But with wood based you have to tottaly empty as it is a non clumping litter.

It is the clumping types of litter that you remove the "balls" and just top up when needed.
  • shjo558
    shjo558 Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But with wood based you have to tottaly empty as it is a non clumping litter.

It is the clumping types of litter that you remove the "balls" and just top up when needed.

I have to use wood based for the rabbit so just use the same for the kittens. I do totally empty the trays everyday at the moment as moggies obviously don't get out yet so it fills up fast _pale_. Fingers crossed they will learn the joy of pooping outside when they're older.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was replying to wee_plumb ... :D
  • I use Golden Grey Master
    from zooplus
    its £12 for a 14kg bag, this lasts me 6 weeks with 2 cats!
    its fab, never smells and clumps brilliantly, best cat litter i've ever used
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/clumping_litter/golden_grey/29960
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure