Is it possible to suddenly become allergic to your dog?

WE bought a puppy 6 months ago when he was 12 weeks old. Within the last month or so I have suddenly become very wheezy every evening, for some reason not during the day time. Its got to the point where I cant sleep because of it. We went to Spain a couple of weeks ago and I didnt get this there, so I'm wondering if I can become allergic to a dog as it gets older or if there is something else in our house I must be allergic to?
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey

Comments

• bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955
    First Post
    Forumite
    Dont know about suddenly becoming allergic to a pet, but perhaps your dog is bringing something in on his/her coat while your out walking that your allergic to? If hes anything like our dogs , he'll be running through bushes and getting allsorts on his coat. I know I can sometimes get a rash from one of my cats in the spring when hes just came home.
    Sue
  • trace_567
    trace_567 Posts: 257 Forumite
    I think you can suddenly become allergic to anything. I grew up with cats, but then became allergic to them, but less so know thankfully.

Maybe you could get an allergy test done to determine exactly what your allergic to in case it isn't your dog.
    It might be worth speaking to your doctor.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I think I will have to, I have just taken piriton in the hope that I will be able to sleep better tonight. I suppose if I can manage with an inhaler that would be ok as I have no other symptoms.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I became allergic to most cats at around 16 after having them all my life with no problems so I guess its possible. I find that using a squish of Fixonase and Zitek (or any cetirizine hydrochloride) generic tablet keeps my allergies in check.
    I have lived for 13 years with these allergies while still having numerous cats, birds, rats etc so it is possible to combine both. OH would prefer me to not just 'cope' and get rid of the pets to be sneeze-free but I can't do it :)
  • Aurans
    Aurans Posts: 13 Forumite
    You are probably allergic to the pet's dander (microscopic skin scales, like dandruff). The allergy commonly develops amongst people who work with animals and can develop at any time. If you find that your flare-ups occur regularly, say every 2-4 weeks, then the dander is a likely source since the skin is shed in cycles.

If the animal is the source of the allergy, the only true relief you'll have is by giving the pet away. Sorry.

Aurans.
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Aurans wrote: »

If the animal is the source of the allergy, the only true relief you'll have is by giving the pet away. Sorry.

Aurans.

That's like saying, the only true relief you'll have is by committing suicide. Sorry!!

:rolleyes:
    more dollar$ than sense
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I have a severe allergy to my cat, however there is no chance I am getting rid of him (he's my little superstar!).

To control/ relieve my allergy I use:

An ioniser in my bedroom and lounge
    Neoclarityn antihistamines
    Sodium cromoglicate eye drops
    Cromogen inhaler
    Beconase nasal spray

I also have a course of steroids every few months!

All well worth it! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • tiff
    Forumite
    Aurans wrote: »
    You are probably allergic to the pet's dander (microscopic skin scales, like dandruff). The allergy commonly develops amongst people who work with animals and can develop at any time. If you find that your flare-ups occur regularly, say every 2-4 weeks, then the dander is a likely source since the skin is shed in cycles.

Aurans.

It's occuring every night, last night I hardly slept again because of the wheezing. I did a bit of searching on the internet and I believe it is allergy induced asthma. I am allergic to cats and only one other dog that I know of, have lived with a different dog for 14 years until he died and we got the puppy.

I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow for the doctor, I think I need an inhaler. Took piriton last night, but it had no effect.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    If the doctor recommends the Cromogen inhaler (designed especially for allergy induced inhaler), make sure you get a spare one (or two). They seem to block so easily!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • tiff
    Forumite
    Doctor thinks it could be either be Bronchitis or allergy related asthma and gave me a ventolin inhaler. Last night was the best nights sleep in a while and I didnt have to sleep propped up on the sofa!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure