How to fall in love with saving money

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    cathybird wrote: »
    well the good news is, with the work bonus I should be able to squirrel away at least £1,500 this month (hope I haven't done my sums wrong). So savings plans off to a flying start this year.

I'm taking two of my three planned trips for this year in Feb (winter season - it's cheaper) but am going to deploy various tricks to try to keep them relatively cheap. :)

Yay, well done Cathy :) Looks like we'll both be beating our targets for this month :) I am also looking to beat Februarys aim by about £50.
    Have also been given extra hours by the agency, although they are yet to confirm so fingers crossed on that one. It'll be an extra 5 hours a week. Not huge amounts, but it all adds up!
    Am also covering for a colleagues holiday on Monday, so that's some extra £ too :)
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    cathybird wrote: »
    No streetlights? Blimey. Sounds dangerous, in fact (to run, that is).

Worst than that, i'm so close to the sea that the roads I run are underwater at each high tide (!) so full of potholes and seaweed, no chance of running safely at night :eek:

I've had a good savings month, just made it past the £2k mark which is a bit more than i'd hoped. Payrise time at work too, although i'm not expecting much as I had a big increase late last year. But on the plus side i've found out (...today...) that i'm being moved to a new, considerably more senior role on monday (!!). No more money yet but there's a "lets see how you do and talk about it later" attached which is promising.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Yay, well done Cathy :) Looks like we'll both be beating our targets for this month :) I am also looking to beat Februarys aim by about £50.
    Have also been given extra hours by the agency, although they are yet to confirm so fingers crossed on that one. It'll be an extra 5 hours a week. Not huge amounts, but it all adds up!
    Am also covering for a colleagues holiday on Monday, so that's some extra £ too :)

Good news, WantToBeSE. Sometimes I wish I could get extra hours. When I was a freelancer I would work six days a week sometimes so I earned well but I never saved very much of it. Anyway, fingers crossed we both beat our targets :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    Worst than that, i'm so close to the sea that the roads I run are underwater at each high tide (!) so full of potholes and seaweed, no chance of running safely at night :eek:

Blimey again! Sounds like you live in a nice bit of the world though, Lomcevak, with the sea that close. :)
    I've had a good savings month, just made it past the £2k mark which is a bit more than i'd hoped. Payrise time at work too, although i'm not expecting much as I had a big increase late last year. But on the plus side i've found out (...today...) that i'm being moved to a new, considerably more senior role on monday (!!). No more money yet but there's a "lets see how you do and talk about it later" attached which is promising.
    Good news on the savings and also the more senior role as long as they do pay you properly and it's not one of those "we hope you don't mind taking on more work for no money" things! I agree with you, sounds promising though - good luck with it. :)
  • cathybird
    Tax is done and I don't owe anything, which is good. On the not so good side, I've probably overdone it on the amount I've moved into the savings account this month. That's okay though ... because it gives me a prime opportunity to try to see if I can make up the shortfall by some means (

I checked my pension yesterday and noticed that it only seemed to have gone up by just over £100 - a fraction of the amount that is supposed to be going into it. Must check with the pension providers. Fees, because it's January? :( Not sure, but I need to look into it.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ok.so there are 3 diaries on page 1,

you guys trying to rile Le loup and Big lol?
  • cathybird
    edited 10 February 2014 at 10:29PM
    Having three diaries pop up at the same time is quite obviously all part of our evil masterplan to achieve world domination.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Mwahaha!! (that's my evil laugh)..Savings Board Domination will be ours...Mwahahaha!! :D
  • cathybird
    Igor, pull the switch!!!! Mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
  • cathybird
    WantToBeSE, do you think the innocent humans have spotted our plan? ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport