New job dilemma

Hello all,
I'm after a bit of advice.

Approximately 3 weeks ago I applied for a job with a company - attended first interview and got called back for a 2nd. First interview went well - although I failed at one of the two on the spot tests that were given to me. I educated myself on the failed test and followed up with a thank you for the interview email and attached a corrected version of the test. I got asked back for a 2nd interview! Yay!
2nd interview went really well, felt I had a good rapport with all three interviewees, I was pretty confident I was the right fit for the job. Having said this, I was fully aware that the job did have tasks in it in that I hadn't done in a while or things that in would need to learn from scratch... I was honest touched on these setbacks in interview and admitted that part of the attraction to the role was learning new thing - but I am pretty sure I would pick up those unknown elements of the job quickly. All went well....I felt they liked me all was good.
They phoned me after interview.....I didn't get the job (sob!!!). I was gutted. They advised another candidate was stronger in an area I was weakest in (accounts), I fully understood their reasoning. They then said BUT, we really liked you and your enthusiasm and think you would be an asset to have working here! (I thought great!) She then said she wanted the both of us and was going away to do some number crunching and see if they can come up with a similar role - give her a week or so (minus accounting) and would be back in touch.... I said thank you that would be great, I'll await further contact. Well, a week later - they as promised created a similar role which is now advertised, same pay - same hours.... but no-one has contacted me from the company?! I left it four days and thought I'd bite the bullet and let them know I'm still interested by applying for it. ..through the correct channels. A week later and I've still not heard a thing...no call or quick email. I'm just confused... I wished they'd of said no, you're not for us at the first interview so I can draw a line under it, If they didn't want me - but feel I'm left in limbo a bit. Do you think I've read the situation wrong or am I trying to rush things and to just hold out - or are they waiting for me to call? I don't want to badger or seem desperate...but I am keen to explore alternative opportunities - what would you do? :)

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    what would you do?

Move on, find other opportunities.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would apply. They may have a policy that says they need to advertise.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    And those were the two choices! How badly would you like to work for them? Because most of the employers that I work with would never be permitted to just give you a job that was newly created. Which isn't always the same thing as having not made up their mind who will get it. On the other hand, would you really want a job you were actually third or fourth pick for just because it had been sewn up for you in advance? If you want the job, go for it. But you have no promises, and you were made none.
  • . . . . Well, a week later - they as promised created a similar role which is now advertised, same pay - same hours.... but no-one has contacted me from the company?! I left it four days and thought I'd bite the bullet and let them know I'm still interested by applying for it. ..through the correct channels. A week later and I've still not heard a thing...no call or quick email. . . .

So you have applied.
    How long after your original application for the other job did it take before they came back to you?
  • blueeyedone
    blueeyedone Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 16 September 2017 at 10:41PM
    The invite to interview from 1st application was 1 day.... and the interview was 10 days away. It took 5 days for them to invite me back to 2nd interview and 2 days to tell me I was unsuccessful for the job I applied for. But they liked me....yada yada yada

I mis-worded the "promised" they look at another role. I meant to say advised! Quite right....I've not been promised anything. I just feel my hopes have been made up. It's a place where I really would quite like to work....I can imagine myself being there in that job or a similar role, minus accounts! To be fair the job description was very lengthy....it looked a hefty work load for one, so I could understand that there could've possibly been enough work for two.

I just feel in limbo a bit....quite like to book an October holiday....but wouldn't if I got offered the position, if you know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure