NST Muddy March Marathon

Comments

• Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Aww Toni's Friend - sincere condolences at this sad time and lots of hugs. xx
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Didn't report in yesterday as was a busy family day :) Sadly not NSD as popped to smkt. That should be it for the week - hopefully! :D

DD went back to uni last night with 3 bags of food/ treats/ drinks - including the leftover chicken from yesterday's roast tubbed up into 2 portions in gravy, and the leftover roasties (I deliberately made far too many) and all of the remaining 'just for her' food from the freezer and some storecupboard items - should see her through for a bit :)

Spent the afternoon playing games with the kids (rummikub and game of life) which was nice - complete with a large box of maltesers (I just had 2 maltesers from the box, which was very restrained of me)

My bedroom is tidy - I tidied away any bits last Thurs - I prefer it when it's orderly :)

Lovely looking day here - I have washing load number 1 on and will hang it out when done, before doing load number 2 :)

Busy week here, so may not make it daily, but will try.

Happy Monday :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2017 at 12:06PM
    Back from a lovely (but soggy) weekend up north with friends. As their guest bedroom is now too small we slept in the camper they have in their garden. Kids loved it, they even settled by themselves in a dark garden in a camper in the middle of nowhere while we went back to the house (only 20 m away though).

SFD on Friday but did a bit of shopping there and my spread sheet sounds rather posh just now: cheesery, bakery, butcher, farm steading rather than Tesco, Lidl ;). Unfortunately forgot some meat in our friends' freezer :(. They also gave us some cool games etc that their daughter is now to old for like an electric circuit kit and a science kit that DD (3) and DS (5) loved.

Also did a Lidl and Tesco shop on Sunday for the usual weekly things. will hopefully have SFD the rest of the week starting today.

More DIY tonight and will see if I find a book to read.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Massive hugs Toni'sfriend. So sorry to hear your news and will be thinking of you and your family.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Today will be our 5th No spend day of the month. I took out money for electricity and petrol money for my friend to take us to the station and that was it.
    Currently making a list of everything we will need for wednesday and I will making a small shopping list to stick to whilst away and plan to stick to a budget.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    I am on 1 NSD so far. :(
    Swiss Auntie (S-i-l) has left so the spends can stop.:)

I walked into the kitchen and found her with the washing up bowl on the floor, and she was spraying kitchen cleaner on the drying side of the sink like it was toxic. That was what made me go in, I wondered what on earth she could possibly find that was THAT dirty to need so much spray cleaning product. Mind you, last year I found her mum in my kitchen scrubbing the bottom of the electric kettle.
    I am sure they think they are being helpful, but I find it rude. No, forget that. I refuse to make excuses for them. They are crazy neurotic people (they each have a dedicated vacuum cleaner just for the sofa - not to be used for anything else).

So that is that over for the month. Bliss

Enjoy the sunshine, I will go back and read what I have missed, later.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Today will be a SFD so that,s me up to 2/15 SFD.

Have a filled bag in my boot to drop off at charity shop after work.

Got my AA car breakdown renewal today - may stick with them as they now include home start. Had a quick look around and for 63 pounds seems cheapest but I had only budgeted for 34 pound. Think it's a wise move as my car is over 11 years old now.

Never going on holiday it would seem. Just about managing lately with money. Tightening my purse from now on.

Grateful for

My health
    Leftover chicken dinner for tea.
    A dry day with sunshine for a change.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Day 6
    Use it or Lose it
    Why would I encourage you to get rid of 'perfectly' good stuff. Well I spend quite a lot of time on the Kon Marie thread, hoarders thread and clutter free threads. I am also of an age (as sadly an increasing number of other turtles are) who have had the experience of clearing out the houses of elderly relatives as well as a nodding acquaintance with several crafters threads many of whom are SABLE members (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy).

Grey Queen recently wrote an excellent post on reasons why we keep things (can't find it, will try again later). In brief some of them are:-
    1 Paid good money for it
    With my accounting head on, I can tell you that this is a 'sunk cost'. Once the money left your pocket (or charged to your credit card) that money was no longer available to you. In the case of a new car, it's worth precisely half of what you paid the moment you drive it off the forecourt. If you do not use the item, you have lost your money but have no benefit.

Think of the dress that you bought that hangs in the wardrobe with the tags still on (massive congratulations to FurryBeastOz on fitting into your dress), the lovely shoes that hurt your feet, the old and ugly (but servicable) chair or other piece of furniture that was put in the garage or shed and rotted away. Environmentally speaking, you have wasted the resources that went into the chair (materials, time , skill) and the dress will cause regret evry time you see it.

If it is possible (and you have the time and patience) sell it (for what it is worth - don't lose a sale for the sake of a few pence). If not pass it on - to a good cause (to sell or pass to someone in need), to a younger family member (Thrifty's children are thrilled with their cousin's old toy). It's taking up head space as well as physical space and if it's in your house, you may be cleaning around it, hurting yourself when you bump into it (and you know that excercise bike isn't for keeping your wardrobe overflow). Release it.

2 Justin Case Bought or acquired a 'new' one but kept the old one for Justin. Think about it. Is it for spares - how often have you used something you kept? Don't you have faith in your new acquisition? Maybe the old one mostly works but not on a particular setting?

I have passed on such things many many times and never regretted it - if I can find someone/ organisation who will use it, out it goes. Grey Queen often freegles non-working machinery 'for parts' and many people are glad to have them. I know a disabled man, too ill to work, who fixes old computers to keep occupied (he's allowed to do a few hours work for therapeutic reasons).

3 Fear
    Fear that you won't be able to afford a replacement when you need it. Also covers the worst category of hoarders (as in the tv programme of that name) who hoard food and cannot bear to let old newspapers go.
    This is often linked to loss (the one you loved is gone, so you keep all their possessions as a substitute) or childhood deprivation (never enough food due to lack of money or poor parenting meant fending for yourself and eating cold baked beans). Food is a comfort, possessions are a massive security blanket. But poor stock control leads to spoiled food and the 'nest' becomes a trap - cutting you off from friends and new relationships.

I get a little bit edgy when the cupboards are bare and spent many years keeping dismantled pieces of broken furniture and fixings (often under beds or behind wardrobes as there was nowhere else) as I genuinely couldn't afford to buy materials to repair things. Have reused many of them but finally have my house to a reasonable standard and an emergency fund for repairs). Hence last year's skip when I finally parted with all the 'spare bits' some up to 20 years old.

4 Sentimental reasons.
    Photos are a prime example. Often we have good reasons for keeping them but are they 'well kept'. Are they in a box or album and how often do you look at them? We all know people who can't eat a fry up or meal without posting a picture on facebook showing everyone what a good time they are having. Be discriminating. Your computer can be useful. One tip - if you have 'old' photos make sure the older members of the family label them on the back - otherwise you will have 'old' photos of random people (my mother has one of the son of the man who took my parent's wedding photos, sent as a Christmas card when he was a baby).

As a warning, some on the KM thread have found letters from old boyfriends - ie first teenage crush. Again it is a matter of choosing what is important and relevant to you as you are now (not a crying 13 yo).

5 Kept for Best
    A pernicious one this. Something I think the older generation are more guilty of including a whole room no-one dared enter except on highdays and holidays. The carefullly displayed china (often wedding presents) preserved behind glass. Best towels and sheets (one Kondoite found wedding present sheets still in their wrapping after 50 years) whilst tatty ones are in use.

Remember the Irma Bombeck quote (someone uses it as their signature) "If I had my time again, I would use the beautiful candle, shaped like a rose, that died in storage."

6 Heirlooms
    If you are not careful sentimental can morph into 'heirlooms' in which custody of the said artefact is passed on to a younger generation with massive expectations imposed on the new custodian. One Kondoite suspected her mil of clearing her house in this fashion (truly hideous they where, so maybe a latent passive aggressive act - or maybe I'm thinking of my own ex-mil).

My family is quite good at this , insisting that certain things must be kept in the family but then deciding it should be kept at my house. Took many years (and even shouting) to stop my mother accepting things on my behalf. I have taken things in but as soon as I found a worthy/ needy recipient, they left.

My advice to a newly single woman (unexpectedly dragged into a post-retirement divorce) was to not be too proud to accept cast-offs (she had lots of the type of friends who replace whole rooms annually) but also that it was her space and to politely but happily refuse anything 'not to her taste (could say she only had a small space so as not to offend).

Another mega post and I am aware the I am speaking to myself as much as you.

Wellbeing
    Take a social media sabbatical (I will try to limit my contact with penguins/ forest creatures - honestly I rescue them from peril and the next day they have got themselves into another fix). Zumba twins is always the same - photos from Zumba class/ how long the cycle to work took/ women drinking/ help with finding lost cats - think before they took up zumba/ exercise in a big way they spent all their time losing and finding cats. Niece, DS1 and his gf are only weekend/ occasional posters.

Inspiration
    I think I can, I know I can (the little engine that could).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    I will have to abandon my challenge as my dear brother passed away peacefully last night. Will be back next month

So sorry for your loss.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    I am on 1 NSD so far. :(
    Swiss Auntie (S-i-l) has left so the spends can stop.:)

I walked into the kitchen and found her with the washing up bowl on the floor, and she was spraying kitchen cleaner on the drying side of the sink like it was toxic. That was what made me go in, I wondered what on earth she could possibly find that was THAT dirty to need so much spray cleaning product. Mind you, last year I found her mum in my kitchen scrubbing the bottom of the electric kettle.
    I am sure they think they are being helpful, but I find it rude. No, forget that. I refuse to make excuses for them. They are crazy neurotic people (they each have a dedicated vacuum cleaner just for the sofa - not to be used for anything else).

So that is that over for the month. Bliss

Enjoy the sunshine, I will go back and read what I have missed, later.

I'd find that odd too. When we went to stay at the GPs I did a lot of cleaning and cooking. But they are in their 70s and have both had serious health problems recently (ongoing)

When they've come to stay here before MIL has kindly made dinner/loaded the washing machine/DW etc to help out, but I don't mind that as it's nice to have guests pitch in

I'd find it upsetting if they started scrubbing the decks though as my house is clean and doesn't need it. As I'm sure yours is too. And I am also struggling to understand why you'd need a hoover just for the sofa??
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport