Walk 2000 miles in 2017

Comments

• Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Reporting in at the end of the 7th week 19 Feb 2017:

As of midnight last night, I have walked 710.7 km (441.61 miles) putting me 266.04 km (165.31 miles) ahead of schedule.

Think I will be reporting bi-weekly from now on.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I'm feeling tired just reading that Jonbvn.

43 miles last week, so I'm definitely recouping my deficit. The major garden overhaul continues and yesterday I dug my pond out and lined it and de-installed the alpine section and started to re-do that aread, only small, but those troughs were flipping heavy.

I don't want anyone to think I'm slacking just because of the low miles!
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Total: 251.7 (+37.7 for last week).

Down on my mileage due to shin splints and doing a decent amount of overtime at work but only added less than a mile to my overall deficit.

Problem now is, I've walked through the soles on my walking shoes, these shoes are not made any more and cant find any that I am happy with within the price range!
  • bugslet
    I feel your pain Splank!

Few years back, I was away over Xmas and popped into a local discount footwear shop, chose a pair of £30.00 frankly ugly, walking boots, but they were fine whilst on holiday.

I had those for nearly two years and they felt like heaven on my feet. come to replace them and they no longer made that style. Could have sobbed!
  • SplanK
    First Anniversary
    I've gone through mine in 6 months (around 500 miles though)...

I did try a few sets of 'cheap' walking shoes in sports direct, as at my current rate, I will burn through a set in 3-4 months and spending a decent chunk of money seems rather painful at that rate, but they were either not comfortable, left foot too loose in the shoe, looked of low/questionable quality, or really really poor reviews....

I am off on Friday, and other than my plod around Rivi in the morning, I will go and spend a few hours at Go Outdoors and wont leave until I have a new set one way or another....

My other option is a set of good boots (which I do intend on buying soon as I build up my hill walking strength) with the potential to swap out the soles on them (IE Alt-bergs), but, seems a shame to put the mileage on a good set of boots pavement pounding that should really be reserved for proper hill/mountain walks
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    500 miles doesn't seem a lot to go completely through a pair of boots.
    One pair of my road running shoes have done 500 miles and don't look too bad at all. (Obviously worn but still give some cushioning) My walking boots have done just under that don't look worn at all.

Do you always walk on the road SplanK? Only because a pair of full on walking boots are not the most comfortable thing to wear on the road anyway.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • SplanK
    First Anniversary
    Yep, most walks are road walking. I am using walking shoes, rather than boots at the moment for road walks, and I find a stiffer shoe better than say a more flexible trainer.

The shoes I have are Salomon's, and a quick google suggests that these do seem to ware quicker than others, but they have survived much longer than the £30 Regatta I had (2 weeks, they just collapsed), and then the £70 Merrel's where the sole just started to come away and split from the upper (about a month). I am doing 35 - 45 miles a week

I am iffing and arring if I should attempt to take them back due to the age, but I know tarmac isn't the most of forgiving of surfaces. I will probably get another 100 miles out of them before they are completely trash though.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I can't really help with walking shoes as they are not something that I have ever owned. I either walk in boots (if fell walking) or run in fell shoes. Or on the road, run in road shoes.
    I don't actually walk anywhere normally lol.

Exercise does seem to be an expensive hobby when you constantly have to keep changing shoes lol
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As expected, last week's 'boots on' mileage was low as I was away in sunnier climes and I only averaged 8,500 steps a day over the week. I did manage 17,000 steps on one day though - with a challenging walk at 2,500m along a balcony path at the top edge of 'Oman's Grand Canyon'. At the end of week 7 I am at 142 miles against a target of 134 so I am still on plan for 1000 miles but a long way off 1500. I now have 4 days away for work so hotel living and no dog walking is not great - I might have to go for a lunchtime yomp or a pre-dinner stroll. I will also try and use the treadmill for my first 'run' since my injury at the end of November.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bugslet
    |I'm currently wearing Merrells, had them about three months and cost me £100.00. They are fantastically comfortable, they are a walking shoe as I'm mostly a pavement pounder, with a bit of beach and not too tough countryside thrown in.

I can't abide anything round my ankes, never found a shoe that has been comfortable even after trying to break them in and I've lost a lot of money on that basis over the years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure