Contract phone upgrade but credit rating has got worse since taking it out?

Hi
I am due an upgrade in September with EE. My contract was taken out in September 2015 when I had a fairly good credit rating so got one with no issues.

However, due to my personal circumstances, my credit rating is really very bad now, if I had to reapply, I very much doubt I would get one. My ex partner left me at the end of 2015 and I wasn't working (stay at home mother, he was the main earner) our landlord didn't accept housing benefit, I was stuck with a long delay getting benefits and tax credits sorted out so rent, food, bills etc went on credit cards and I took out loans which ultimately I could not afford to pay back. In the end, my accounts went in to default and I agreed a payment plan which I am keeping up with. I have a job now and I am in a new property, so this isn't an issue.

I was just wondering if they will let me have the upgrade or in light of my credit rating worsening, they will decline me and stop the contract all together? I have never missed a payment with them.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Credit check isn't so much of a factor when upgrading. If you have paid all your bills on time and are keeping the same number and staying with the same provider there is unlikely to be much of a problem. If you are changing number and/or changing provider, that isn't an upgrade - it's a new contract requiring a full credit check.
  • ryan121
    ryan121 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    From my experience, most networks don't do a credit check when you upgrade.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the amount you are paying at the moment manageable / reasonable?

Your contract wont end. It will go onto month-by-month. It might be better leaving it as it is for a while. Even with a declined upgrade I can't see them taking your current contract away.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    At the end of your 2 year contract beware of EE still charging the full amount, i.e. continuing to pay off the cost of the phone which you will have paid off already.

The "I am due an upgrade" is a scam, you are not due anything, it's the network wanting to hook you in for another 2 years. They bait the hook with a shiny new phone...

The best value is to get the phone unlocked by EE (free) and go SIM only. The EE SIM only prices aren't competitive by a long way, ask for your PAC code saying you are moving to xyz network who are offering zxy deal and you may find EE beat it. Obviously do your research on prices first and check from your monthly bills how much you use. Virgin (EE network) are cheaper than EE, for a range of SIM only at quite good prices look at Three (44 to choose from at last count).

Beware that changing networks (maybe even renewing on SIM only with EE) will involve a credit check, so be prepared to go PAYG if it fails.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It took until the 4th reply for someone to point out that if you're struggling financially then the last thing you need is an 'upgrade' for a phone that presumably still works. As said above get a (no doubt) much cheaper sim only or PAYG deal.
  • Jenny_EE
    Jenny_EE Posts: 44 Organisation Representative
    Hi
    I am due an upgrade in September with EE. My contract was taken out in September 2015 when I had a fairly good credit rating so got one with no issues.

However, due to my personal circumstances, my credit rating is really very bad now, if I had to reapply, I very much doubt I would get one. My ex partner left me at the end of 2015 and I wasn't working (stay at home mother, he was the main earner) our landlord didn't accept housing benefit, I was stuck with a long delay getting benefits and tax credits sorted out so rent, food, bills etc went on credit cards and I took out loans which ultimately I could not afford to pay back. In the end, my accounts went in to default and I agreed a payment plan which I am keeping up with. I have a job now and I am in a new property, so this isn't an issue.

I was just wondering if they will let me have the upgrade or in light of my credit rating worsening, they will decline me and stop the contract all together? I have never missed a payment with them.

Hi,

If you are a pay monthly customer and upgrading, no external credit check is completed. We will only check your payment history with EE.

As a couple of other people have mentioned you can 'upgrade' to a cheaper SIM only contract if it would suit you better. If you go to our Get in Touch page here http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch we have an upgrades live chat team that will be happy to have a chat about your options. Our contact numbers are also on the link if you’d prefer to call.

Thanks, Jenny
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    At the end of your 2 year contract beware of EE still charging the full amount, i.e. continuing to pay off the cost of the phone which you will have paid off already.

There is no "full amount" or "paying off the cost of the phone", there is simply a contracted amount agreed to that is payable for the duration of the contract.

There is also no "end of your 2 year contract", the contract reaches the end of its minimum term but still actually continues on a rolling 30 days contract until terminated or changed.

The contract holder can terminate, upgrade or amend the price plan to a sim only contract, if they don't it continues as contracted.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport