Is there a leave calculator for more generous leave entitlement?

I am just trying to calculate leave entitlement in hours for someone who will only be with us for a few weeks (and we don't yet know how many). I'd like to tell them how many hours they accrue each week. they'll be working 37.5 hours pw

We give 33 days' leave each year, including bank holidays.

I can use the government calculator, but I'm having problems scaling up ... which is probably me being dense, so I'd just like one which does it for me!
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    33 days/year pro rates to 12.7%, so 100 hours worked means entitlement to 12.7 hours.

Doing the sums in hours makes things a lot easier :)
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would have thought that if you can work it out with the online calculator then do that then divide by 28 (the statutory number of days) and multiply by 33.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just thinking that if you can't work it out, should you be in a position of any responsibility?
  • PeppaCoin
    PeppaCoin Posts: 141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow thats rude! She's human!
  • clairecymru
    clairecymru Posts: 521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It is the number of days worked / 365 x 247.5 hours (33 days).
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Thank you all, particularly for the % calculation which will be jolly useful in future, and for the correction on the number of statutory days which my brain had at 25 instead of 28. :o I actually know perfectly well that the stat min is 28, usually.

On a good day I can do this stuff standing on my head, but at present I claim heat exhaustion.

Also on a good day my manager would check my workings but when they're on leave that gets tricky.

And I KNOW we are not the only company paying more than stat min, which is why it is irritating not to be able to find a calculator which does it for you!
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    A standard 28 days holiday is 12.07% your 33 days works out at 14.54% accruement rate.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 8 July 2017 at 7:40AM
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I am just trying to calculate leave entitlement in hours for someone who will only be with us for a few weeks (and we don't yet know how many). I'd like to tell them how many hours they accrue each week. they'll be working 37.5 hours pw

We give 33 days' leave each year, including bank holidays.

I can use the government calculator, but I'm having problems scaling up ... which is probably me being dense, so I'd just like one which does it for me!

(caveat max working week for holidays is 5)

There are a number of ways to do it but you are probably familiar with the 12.07% for statutory(5.6 weeks/28 days)

lets work with that and see how you work out any other combination.

the calculation is based on the split between work and holidays, many use a 52 weeks year but you can go more accurate if you want.

You work 46.4 weeks to get 5.6 weeks holiday.(that adds up to 52)

the actual calculation is 5.6/(52-5.6) = 0.1206896 or round up to 12.07%

33 days holiday is 6.6weeks 6.6/(52-6.6) = 0.1453744 or round up to 14.54%

For a 37.5hr week that's 5.4525hrs.

BUT NOTE.

These are extra holiday hours and to be taken separate/additional to working time so if they take a day off you only use 4 days for that weeks holiday accrual.

If you want to have them take all their holidays within the period of work then you can just use the hours per week calculation .

1/52 * 33 * 7.5 = 4.7956hrs

Which is the way the WTR does them, still legal, but if they get paid the holiday at the end they get less total(depends how mean you are).
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    paddyrg wrote: »
    33 days/year pro rates to 12.7%, so 100 hours worked means entitlement to 12.7 hours.

Doing the sums in hours makes things a lot easier :)
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    A standard 28 days holiday is 12.07% your 33 days works out at 14.54% accruement rate.
    Given the two answers above, you can understand why I'm confused! I think the discrepancy is explained below:
    (caveat max working week for holidays is 5)

There are a number of ways to do it but you are probably familiar with the 12.07% for statutory(5.6 weeks/28 days)

lets work with that and see how you work out any other combination.

the calculation is based on the split between work and holidays, many use a 52 weeks year but you can go more accurate if you want.

You work 46.4 weeks to get 5.6 weeks holiday.(that adds up to 52)

the actual calculation is 5.6/(52-5.6) = 0.1206896 or round up to 12.07%

33 days holiday is 6.6weeks 6.6/(52-6.6) = 0.1453744 or round up to 14.54%

For a 37.5hr week that's 5.4525hrs.

BUT NOTE.

These are extra holiday hours and to be taken separate/additional to working time so if they take a day off you only use 4 days for that weeks holiday accrual.

If you want to have them take all their holidays within the period of work then you can just use the hours per week calculation .

Which is the way the WTR does them, still legal, but if they get paid the holiday at the end they get less total(depends how mean you are).
    Now this starts to explain why my trial runs were getting me an answer between 'round up to 5' and 'round up to 5.5'.

Since I KNOW that the person plans to take some time off within their contract, the simplest thing seems to be to run with the lower figure.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 9 July 2017 at 6:50AM
    woops I made an error copying in one number.

1/52 * 33 * 7.5 = 4.7596hrs

Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Given the two answers above, you can understand why I'm confused! I think the discrepancy is explained below:

Now this starts to explain why my trial runs were getting me an answer between 'round up to 5' and 'round up to 5.5'.

Since I KNOW that the person plans to take some time off within their contract, the simplest thing seems to be to run with the lower figure.

The 12.7% is the 1/52 * 6.6

be aware of your rounding.
    eg. if they work 10 weeks they accrue 10/52*6.6*37.5=47.6hr
    using 12.7% rounds that up to 47.625 (negligible)
    using 5hrs per week rounds upto 50hr. (5% more)

The other thing to make clear is how plan/approve holidays and how you will be treating any over/under payment of holiday

using the proportion of year worked give the employer a slight advantage if they take less and get it paid, if they take more than accrued it benefits the employee when you deduct it from final pay.

eg using the 4.76hr accrued per week(holidays all taken)
    if they did not take the holiday they would have been due 5.5425 and if they took double they would have been due 4.0676

Not big £ in the overall scheme of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure