Options
124»

Comments

• slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tealady wrote: »
    why not do like the Queen does and have 2 birthdays.

Yes, I've sometimes wondered about that, as my birthday's at a time of year when snowstorms tend to arrive out of the blue - that has happened in various places from London as a child, to Macedonia as a young adult...
    But I suppose it makes it more memorable, and its an interesting challenge to find a suitable place
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the recent comments and ideas.
    I've been away, hence not reading or replying.

(Since you ask, Yosemite Valley.) I wouldn't go again in May as its peak season and pretty crowded, with somewhat unstable weather. But I am really happy to have seen it once at this season - the waterfalls are completely nuts, as are the wild flowers - lupins, california poppies, and lots of others.
  • twohooter_2
    twohooter_2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    gipsygirl wrote: »
    Have you thought about Thailand? A beautiful country & scores highly on the culture front ( temples everywhere) there is also excellent snorkelling over coral reefs with brightly coloured fish in very warm clear waters.(some of the best in the world!)

I agree that Thailand is a fabulous country with something for everyone - culture, beaches, nature, fabulous food and friendly people. Gipsygirl - where did you snorkel? I was in Hua Hin which was great but the sea didn't deliver on the snorkelling front. I would love to return and experience the coral reefs you refer to - where would you recommend?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    Options
    Hello. I'm thinking about my 60th birthday next year and would like to plan a holiday abroad - something special, but still relatively budget.

My birthday's the very beginning of March, so it needs to be suitable at that time of year.

We don't tend to like big cities, although I do like architecture and culture. Would like something relaxing, but definitely not just sitting on a beach or by a pool. We've already travelled quite a bit (Spain, France, Sweden, USA, Australia)but generally in a v budget way - mostly camping, with the odd night in a hotel.

Two thoughts so far
    Northern Lights trip to Norway, Sweden or Iceland
    Snorkelling over coral reefs - Red Sea or elsewhere

Would love to kick some ideas around, thanks...

TUSCANY in Italy. In March you won't get guaranteed sunshine but at that time of year you should have a good choice of farmhouses and cottages which should fit the budget caregory. Depends on how budget your idea of budget is. Plus on a trip to nearby Florence you'll have architecture and arts coming out of your ears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure